A frame ball joint

Tibout

Hi guys I'm going to replace the A frame ball joint soon. I know it could be a pain to do! So what I was planning is to remove the frame together with the balljoint and bring it to the garage to get the old one out and press the new one. But before even doing that I just want to know if it's hard to remove the frame itself or if there's an easier way?

Kind regards

thierry

To release the ball joint from the axle, support the vehicle under the chassis with axle stands, remove both road wheels and all the weight of the axle to hang from the ball joint. Remove the nut from the ball joint except the last couple of threads and set at it with a large hammer and suitable drift, this will crack the joint eventually. You don't HAVE to leave the nut on, it will just catch the axle if it tried to fall unexpectedly. Try not to damage the threads on teh joint, though if you have the nut far enough off you shouldn't.

The A-frame disassembles into three parts, the central part is what the ball joint is fitted into, it is held to the other two bits by two long bolts, remove these rather than the entire A-frame from the chassis mounts as they can be a pig to get to and undo. they are also 30mm so unless you have the right spanner/socket......

Now remove the large nut completely whilst supporting the axle from rolling over (it probably won't go anywhere TBH) and remove the central part of the A-frame, take this to the press. Undo the two small bolts holding the joint in, press out old, press in new and refit to the axle.

Please make sure when lowering the axle that brake lines do not get strained.

I've done the A frame ball joint on my 90 in the last few weeks and had the mother of all battles just to get the ball joint from the axle, I ended up with the back wheels off the ground and a scaffold tube between the axle and A frame arms which did the trick!!! On the up side the 2 long bolts that go through the A frame housing came out very easily.

I took the A frame arms off as well as I replaced the bushes in them and gave the arms a clean up and paint while I was at it.

First blood was drawn however when removing said A frame arms as I used a rattle gun to get the 30mm bolts out that hold the arms in place, the socket and extension bar fell off the gun on to my nose/temple (laying under it) which pushed the saftey spec's into the bridge splitting it open and bleeding instantly. On the up side I didnt get anything in my eyes other than blood! :blink:

I used the A frame ball joint that Gwyn Lewis sells as its already pressed into a housing meaning its more of a swap over job or could be if you only did that part.

Hope that helps

I drove my truck into work and parked up - put the hand brake on and chocked the wheels, then just belted the ball joint until it released from the axle - remember to leave the castle nut on a couple of turns (inverted of course!)or it'll give you a shock when the a frame shoots up and knocks all the carp off the tub into your face!

Then just remove the ball joint carrier from the a-frame 'arms', pop it into the garage round the corner - collect at lunch time and refit. All for done for the grand total of £10 to the garage and a wet arse (it was raining before the sarcastic replies arrive!)

Job done.

Dave.

I had to get a new a-frame (new to me) from a scrappy as the one on my vehicle point blank refused to come off. The axle side was OK but it was the chassis side that caused me problems. As long as your bolts are ok you should be able to get it out.

I'd guess that you'd struggle to get the joint out under the vehicle, but I may be wrong. The guys who put a new one in mine made a bit of a muck up of it and so the rubber gaitor is ripped a tad :(

Probably the worst 2 weeks of my rebuild, that flipping a frame!

Or you might be lucky.... the last two i have done i have knocked out with a lump hammer. A great way to A. keep warm when its cold out in the garage. B a great way to release fustration / angar etc..... getting back in can take some doing with a hammar so a press would be way....

Always think the worse and hopefully it wont be that bad

Thanks John I know it could be really hard to tackle but it will give me so much satisfaction if I manage to get it done. I didn't know nothing about land rover 8 months ago and now with your help guys I've learned so much. Did my first conversion, all brakes system, shocks, electrics cv joint etc. So a big thank you

kind regards

thierry