Sound proofing a series 3

snailracer

I have a 109 with a recently fitted 200tdi. Its a 2 door ex-military canvas and is obviously a bit noisy :)

I've sorted most of the rattles now but I need some soundproofing.

What are peoples thoughts on the best option?

So far I can see my options being:

rubber and cut to fit myself - cheap and fiddly

secondhand - easy fit but maybe knackered/ a bit carp

new ebay kit - Maybe a bit carp

Noisekiller series kit - expensive but probably works well and fits easy

Wright off road kit - more expensive but also acts as mats etc

The more expensive options will need saving up for so would like to know if they are worth it as I could do with making a bit more comfortable reasonably quickly.

Cheers

Matt

I had tried various DIY schemes with little success, but fitted a Wright Off Road kit when they were very new. It made an enormous difference, allowing conversation at normal voice levels at 60mph with a diesel, but you can't get rid of all the noise. During my rebuild, I also added a full Noise Killer under bonnet kit and another square yard of their foil covered sound barrier material to the entire engine side of the bulkhead and the entire inner wings. This was not cheap and made no noticeable difference over the sound reduction from the WOR kit. One commonly reported problem with the NK kit is that the bonnet lining panels tend to fall off - I have this problem, and regardless of whatever adhesives I try, I can't get it to stay on; it's only the LR fibrous sound pad (Defender bonnet) that stops the NK pad from getting caught up in the fan belt, throttle mechanism or steering gear. Their kit is also made with open-cell foam, which is better for noise attenuation than closed cell, but also soaks up water like a sponge, so unless your bulkhead is galvanised, it'll really accelerate its demise.

For all that, I used some of Noise Killers interior matting (it's the same as the under bonnet stuff, but with a double layer of the grey plastic instead of one layer of that and one of foil) on the hard top side panels, and that had a very big effect.

So, I'd recommend the WOR kit for the cabin and tub floor (he does rolls of chequer plate pattern lining in the matching materials and colours as the front kits), and only use NK's interior matting on the hard top and door skins.

With the 200Tdi, I can hold a comfortable conversation with ease at 60mph and with only slightly elevated voices at 70mph.

hiya,

I havent done my series 3 as yet, mainly because its just a rolling chassis right now, my 90 i have sound proofed with camping foam mats, the really thick ones, about 10-12mm stuck on with spray glue and then because it didnt come with any roof linings i have then spray glued black short pile carpet to the camping matting, looks goods adds warmth and has reduced the noise by 70 percent. I have done this in the footwells also and over the gearbox tunnel, all works well, the cost was about £6 per mat(used 4 or 5) and the carpet came from carpet right and that cost £20 for 1 metre x 4 metre.

As for the series i have only had it for a week and looking at the doors, because they dont have winder mechanisms in or locks i was thinking that i might use expanding foam in a can, spray this on so it sits a little proud and then when it sets i will be able to trim it, i will then get some thinish ply and cover that with black vinyl and screw fix that to the metal frame with black cap head covers over the screws, should look smart and provide warmth, strength and sound deadening as well as the waterproof properties of this foam it will hopefully keep out "rust mites" :blink:

Paul

Having seen expanding foam and steel go together I can tell you it won't stop the rust mites, more like encourage them.... I wouldn't do this TBH.

Get some proper heavy sounbd deadening material from a car audio place, which won't hold water and you're sorted. The other option is stable matting, this is really heavy rubber, and of course non-porous, stick that in place and it should really kill the noise.

• Like 1

Sound proofing a Series is like trying to water proof it, both of them are like herding cats. You can cut down some of the major bits (my transmission tunnel is fibreglass and made a huge difference) but ultimately you're being bounced around in an aluminium box with a load of old-fashioned mechanicals grinding away underneath.

To put it another way - if it's that much of an issue, you're best off just buying something quieter in the first place rather than go mad wasting time & money trying to make a Series something it's not.

I think sorting out a few of the rattles and fitting new inner wings will solve a lot of the problems, and getting rid of the General SAG tyres will help a lot :) Trouble is i really like the look of the tyres (very vain I know) and would like to get road biased replacements with similar profiles. Any ideas?

Most of this is for my girlfriends benefit as from next week it will be our only car. Hopefully having to travel series style will give her the hurry up on passing her driving test :)

• 5 weeks later...

Camping mats are fine and fire proof, sound deadening the bonnet and floors are really effective, I've a 109 hi-cap pickup and I've done, bonnet, bulkhead front and back, rear bulkhead, roof, floor, doors and seatbox. Let me just say it's really quiet, all these people who say it's a series live with are kidding themselves, land river offered a sound proofing kit many foreign markets, I've seen a Swedish series 3 with a sound proofing kit that did what I've dine but it had the engine and inner wings done aswell.

Camping mats are fine and fire proof, sound deadening the bonnet and floors are really effective, I've a 109 hi-cap pickup and I've done, bonnet, bulkhead front and back, rear bulkhead, roof, floor, doors and seatbox. Let me just say it's really quiet, all these people who say it's a series live with are kidding themselves, land river offered a sound proofing kit many foreign markets, I've seen a Swedish series 3 with a sound proofing kit that did what I've dine but it had the engine and inner wings done aswell.

What did you use to stick them on with? Bit worried some glues might melt the mats. And have you tried peeling them back off to get at the panels?

Looks like I'm heading to the attic tomorrow to see if there are any camping mats kicking around :)

Fit a petrol engine or use some ear plugs ;)

On a serious note, I soundproofed my first Series 3 using felt, carpet or large pieces of rubber. It was fairly effective in places and it helped to insulate it slightly too. I found carpeting the inside of the roof stopped a lot of the condensation.

I haven't bothered with my current Series 3 though.

On a serious note, I soundproofed my first Series 3 using felt, carpet or large pieces of rubber. It was fairly effective in places and it helped to insulate it slightly too. I found carpeting the inside of the roof stopped a lot of the condensation.

I haven't bothered with my current Series 3 though.

But what did you use to keep the carpets up? I've had no success with epoxies, they tend to release after some time due to vibrations.....Whats your trick?

Todd.

I lined my hardtop with 4mm tabletop covering material stuck using spray adhesive but in the summer this melts and the lining sags but I do have a green/black camo roof. Have restuck with 'sticks like sh*t' from evostick I think, working so far but wait till summer...Does say its good for wet conditions and up to 100'C

But what did you use to keep the carpets up? I've had no success with epoxies, they tend to release after some time due to vibrations.....Whats your trick?

Todd.

Contact Adhesive, Evostick I think is what I used back then. The carpet also stops that "drumming" noise you get in the hardtops :)

12_lge.jpg

Just what I was about to advise, fit a V8 :lol: But I was beat to it.

My V8 90 is pretty quiet anyway, but I made some additional front floor and tunnel matting from the rubber backed floor lining I took out of the back of a RRC.

This made a surprising further reduction in sound. The downside is that it's heavy, and holds water rather well, no doubt the latter being the reason why Rangey floors rot out so well :(

Where did you buty the matts from? I'm going to do this method too...

What glue did you use?

Cheers, Brian