transfer ratios

ricky tango

ok here goes ,

i have rrc with zf auto box and a borg warner transfer box which i am pulling out for a solid lock lt230 as i just don't trust the bw , i know what i need and don't need so thats not a problem

my problem is transfer ratios

at present with what ever ratios the bw run (i think there all the same) my car cruises on its speedo (which will be out as i run 35" tyres at 60 mph and doesn't really like to go into last gear until around 65-70 but once its in i have to go up to 75 or it keeps dropping back to 3rd gear so

what should i really be requesting on purchase of my recon lt230 ?

thank you for your knowledge :)

ok here goes ,

i have rrc with zf auto box and a borg warner transfer box which i am pulling out for a solid lock lt230 as i just don't trust the bw , i know what i need and don't need so thats not a problem

my problem is transfer ratios

at present with what ever ratios the bw run (i think there all the same) my car cruises on its speedo (which will be out as i run 35" tyres at 60 mph and doesn't really like to go into last gear until around 65-70 but once its in i have to go up to 75 or it keeps dropping back to 3rd gear so

what should i really be requesting on purchase of my recon lt230 ?

thank you for your knowledge :)

Hi,

this is exactly what our new ratio calculator is made to help with :

ratio calculator

lets see what the revs would be as stock and work out whats best from there,

select :

ZF auto

we still need to add the borg warner but you can select 'other' and input high as 1.206 and low as 3.321,

3.54 diffs

31" tyres

revs at 70 is 2360

even as stock this is a tad low, ideally you are looking for 2500-2600 @ 70 mph

now change the tyres to 35", revs @ 70 are now 2090, way too low, this is what you have at the moment and this is way overgeared,

if you change the transfer case to the LT230 type 22D 1.410 the revs are now 2444 @ 70, much closer to stock and close enough to the target of 2500-2600,

so thats the answer to your question, you want a 1.410 ratio LT230,

Dave

Stock RRC tyres (205/80R16) aren't 31", are they?

Stock Tire - 205/80R16 >Search Tires

Section Width: 8.07 in 205 mm

Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm

Rim Width Range: 5 - 7 in

Overall Diameter: 28.91 in 734.31 mm

OK, that explains why I had the revs come out so low with the stock tyres,

Dave

I must say, I played with the calculator a bit, and either my rpm gauge is way off or the calculator does some strange things :blink:

For a standard softdash RRC (R380 + BW), it shows it would only be doing 105 km/h at 2500 RPM. That's, erm, very wrong. That's normal cruising RPM at a speed of about 120 km/h, and 150 km/h (on the speedo, so probably 145ish) is 3000 RPM.

Or did I enter something incorrectly?

post-18506-086587000 1294510936_thumb.png

I must say, I played with the calculator a bit, and either my rpm gauge is way off or the calculator does some strange things :blink:

For a standard softdash RRC (R380 + BW), it shows it would only be doing 105 km/h at 2500 RPM. That's, erm, very wrong. That's normal cruising RPM at a speed of about 120 km/h, and 150 km/h (on the speedo, so probably 145ish) is 3000 RPM.

Or did I enter something incorrectly?

Hi Elbekko,

this post make me wonder if something in the formulae was wrong so I thought I would do a manual calc to compare,

lets look at what the engine RPM will be in 5th at 100KPH, the ratio calculator says 2376,

tyre dia is 28.91", 28.91 x 25.4= 734.3mm, 734.3 x pye = 2307.2mm = 2.307m circumferance

speed is 100 kph = 100000mph, /60 = 1666.6' meters / minute

wheel turns at 1666.6/2.307 = 722 rpm

final drive ratio is 5th x transfer case x diff = 0.77 x1.206 x 3.54 = 3.2873,

engine rpm = 3.2873 x 722 = 2373.4

thats close enough to the 2376 to say the formulae is correct,

in reality the rpm will be higher as we have used a theoetical tyre diameter, ideally you should use 2 x rolling radius to allow for the tyre 'flat spot'

Dave

Elbekko, we had this discussion before, with your RRC apparently doing about the same revs as my P38a, despite my bigger tyres.

I'd say your speedometer is way off, but GPS data seems to dismiss that idea, right?

So it can only be the revcounter.

Must be, still strange though. 50 km/h on the speedo is about 48 km/h on the GPS, and the RPM gauge tells me 1000 RPM, while it should be 1188 according to the calculator (well, slightly different now as my tyres now are a tad larger than standard, but there isn't a whole lot of difference).

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for the answers!

what's that overdrive and how do I fit it on my old RRC? (manual box)

sounds very interesting, but never heard of it before...

so, if I don't have an overdrive (btw, how do I check?), i should use ratio 1,0?

Elbekko, we had this discussion before, with your RRC apparently doing about the same revs as my P38a, despite my bigger tyres.

I'd say your speedometer is way off, but GPS data seems to dismiss that idea, right?

So it can only be the revcounter.

My RRC's tacho is ~ 300rpm out (too low)compared to the data displayed in MegaTune, which can only really be correct. Speedo is pretty accurate now I have 33" tyres on it :rolleyes:

For 35" tyres and an autobox I would be going for a 1.66 ratio transfer box, it's really quite important that an auto has the correct gearing to get the changes and lockup in the right place for on-road driving, 1.4 is just about perfect on 33s, 1.6 on 35s would be the same by my reckoning.

what's that overdrive and how do I fit it on my old RRC? (manual box)

sounds very interesting, but never heard of it before...

so, if I don't have an overdrive (btw, how do I check?), i should use ratio 1,0?

It's an extra box that bolts onto the transfer case, splits the path of the drive and ups the gearing by ~28% on demand. Depending on the vehicle there are a few types for Land Rovers, there are 2 for the LT230, one is GKN, one is made by Rocky Mountain. Using the "search" function should turn up plenty of info. Some basics are here:

http://www.ep90.com/index.php?id=70

Look at the CWP Ratios,

If you change the TBOX ratios, then you'll sort out the gearing for ON road, but the gearing is also off the mark for OFF road too..

Agreed, but with a V8, and an autobox, off road low ratio is far less important than a stinky diesel and a manual box -IMHO.