Thoughts please....

jameslwt

post-2375-0-10921900-1295115767_thumb.jpgpost-2375-0-45919100-1295115785_thumb.jpgpost-2375-0-33978300-1295115708_thumb.jpgpost-2375-0-24281700-1295115748_thumb.jpgHi

We recently bought a Disco td5 ES from a dealer. She's a 2002 model (facelift) and we paid 9k for her (this is relevant). Now the car has been back to the independant dealer 3 times for a variety of jobs under warranty - including sorting major roof leaks. Now they have stopped the roof leaking, but I hadn't got round (or even thought about) looking at the actual roof until today, and what I have seen has shocked me. (as in photos attached)

post-2375-0-24053100-1295115319_thumb.jpgpost-2375-0-04579300-1295115342_thumb.jpgpost-2375-0-53152200-1295115385_thumb.jpgpost-2375-0-72523600-1295115403_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else feel that this standard of work is unacceptable, especially on a 9k car? Not entirely sure how to deal with it, or whether it's even worth the effort/hassle.

Thanks

James

post-2375-0-31984500-1295115726_thumb.jpg

No

A main dealer should be able to do work to rectify probs to a standard that land rover set ie like new

Pikey Motors Inc would prob be proud of the above workmanship, and main

dealer should be ashamed of themselves, maybe, as western said it only needs to be

finished off, but as is ? bl**dy disgracefull

Nige

Western/Ralph - my thoughts exactly. The problem now being that as it has cured, we all know that silicon/whatever they have used has to be removed by 'mechanical means' ie scraped off. If they had done this, as you say,, when wet with a rag etc it would have been a 10 minute job - I've done it many times. But now if I want to sort it properly (sorry - read that as neatly) I'll have to scrape it off which will quite probably damage the paintwork.

If I had this on my old Disco - a battered old V8, I wouldn't worry so much. But having just forked out that amount of money, I do not wish to devalue the car etc because of some shoddy workmanship.

The next problem is what to do about it. I suspect the dealer will tell me to get lost. :angry:

before you even touch it, at least give the dealer a chance........ he may himself have not actually seen what was done to it......

Depending what sealer they used, sometimes if its silicon it will 'roll' off easily..... if its a black mastic type stuff, then good luck.....!

before you even touch it, at least give the dealer a chance........ he may himself have not actually seen what was done to it......

Depending what sealer they used, sometimes if its silicon it will 'roll' off easily..... if its a black mastic type stuff, then good luck.....!

Exactly. How long ago was the work done, why didn't you check it on collection and was it done at an independent or main dealer?

Beginning of December. TBH I didn't even think about checking the roof - my bad I know. I knew they took down the headlining so assumed (wrongly) that they had fixed the standard disco 2 problem of drain pipes snapped off.

Independent Discovery Dealer - not a general one. They don't exactly like the car as it has had a multitude of issues that they have had to sort out - am starting to think the car is jinxed, so much has gone wrong.

So far:

ACE problem - now (hopefully) fixed

Rear Air Suspension leak - air bag replaced

Drivers door lock- new lock

Major leaking (as above)

Clock stopped working (v minor I know)

Steering box dumped fluid all over my drive. New steering box as replacement seals did not work

Reverse sensors and lights packed up. Just adjustment of switch I think

Rear wiper failed

Door seals had to be replaced

Water in fuel light kept on coming on

Wing mirror went bananas flicking around everywhere - electrical gremlins. New mirror fitted.

I guess some might say I am being pedantic but and I am very grateful to the dealer for sorting all of the above, but am starting to get fed up. All this since December. I know - it's a land rover!

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question we are all assuming that the sealant job was not done prior to you buying the car - i.e. you had checked the roof before the work was done?

Fair Point, and yes, it was not like that. Roof was as of out of factory (well in appearance!).

9k seems a lot but lowish mileage and tied in with book prices that I looked at etc. Looked at loads and many were appalling. Price was kind of mid range for what was on offer. It is a facelifted ES model :ph34r: Have just checked and they are anywhere between about 8-11 atm.

it is shoddy workmanship not to have cleaned the excess mastic from around the sunroof, but seeing as time has passed and presuming its not leaking anymore, I would live with it and clean it off a bit at a time when I wash and polish, apart from the excess selant they seem to have sorted your other problems for you

Could try cutting most of the way through it around the edge of the plastic with a sharp scalpel blade. Anything blunter than that and it will probably just drag through the stuff and pull it away. Be careful not to go down onto the paint though. Difficult one - its a rubbish job i agree and shouldnt have been returned to you like it. Would have been easy to tidy that up when wet.

You know they are following the official Land Rover manual on fixing leaks, it does actually specify application of mastic, silicone, and brushable sealer to everything and anything, so although it mjay be unattractive it is actually what the book says they should be doing.