BIG Diesel

Mike Brownlie

I keep humming and hawing about building a 90 on a galvy chassis but I really want to be a deviant and build something a bit more "unique".

I have a love of the 101 and the old 2a but they were designed to be load carriers with off road capabilities and not an "off roader" and leaf sprung.

This is going to be a "Q" plate project I guess but would be nice if not, but not fussed.

Thinking about using a 110 chassis, mounting the engine in the middle and using a forward control configuration with raised suspension and seating.

Think 101 on steroids?

now,

The Engine....

Petrol is out for me and I want a big diesel.

So what to choose ?

Cummins 6BT is my favourite for the moment as its enough to power a 7.5Ton truck and most busses!

GMC ?

Perkins

JCB

Let me know your thoughts on this project and any ideas you may have.

Cheers

Mike

I like the engine on eBay - that looks like it would go well and sound well!

I love 101's - but don't really fit in them. If I were to buy one, it would have to have a 'Honking' big diesel engine! So I'm totally with you on that one.

Si

I realise torque is the main requirement, but that engine shows 97KW at 3000RPM, that's 130HP... doesn't seem much given the highly tuned motors of today :blink:

They are such an easy engine to tune and stock form can achieve 300bhp im told.

It's a truck engine trucks need torque to pull load and not so much bhp.

150bhp in a landrover is plenty and it's when your powering up steep hills torque and engine mass will make the difference over a highly tuned tdi/td5

They are such an easy engine to tune and stock form can achieve 300bhp im told.

Might be worth asking how. I've got two of these engines, one in an ERF and one in a Fastrac. The pump on the ERF doesn't look home mechanic adjustable so I don't see how you could double the power without spending some serious cash. The Fastrac has some adjustment but only about 25 hp extra without black smoke.

I had a 160hp variant in a scrap Leyland Freighter that I just have just sold. I'd had the lorry for a few years and knew the engine to be good and considered fitting to a Landy. However, after doing a bit of research, I decided it was just to heavy and has a limited rev range compared to a more modern diesel. They do sound good though :)

A 2 stroke diesel would be good.

I decided it was just to heavy and has a limited rev range compared to a more modern diesel.

That is the reason trucks and tractors have so many gears.

They produce a lot of power/torque but in a small rev range.

My wife's 7.5t DAF Horsebox has a green band on the rev counter of about 1000rpm. This is a NA engine and below the band there is NO power at all, above it will still pull but with power obviously falling.

On the plus side, empty (cos I wouldn't do it with a horse in) it will do 70mph. On a round trip to Devon (250 miles) it returns nearly the same mpg as our 300tdi. This is significantly better than the previous Ford Cargo which I doubt did 20mpg.

Scouting out gearbox and diff ratios would be a good start to the project to work out if you can get something driveable,

the 6bt is a stonking engine,as mentioned you will need a good transmission,you may get away with a santana box out of a v8 110,but if you are canny,many of them fitted to trucks had an auto box behind them.

Im thinking about using the truck ZF 5 speed manual box and making the LT230 "remote" by using an adaptor on the input of the transfer box

Might be worth asking how. I've got two of these engines, one in an ERF and one in a Fastrac. The pump on the ERF doesn't look home mechanic adjustable so I don't see how you could double the power without spending some serious cash. The Fastrac has some adjustment but only about 25 hp extra without black smoke.

I had a 160hp variant in a scrap Leyland Freighter that I just have just sold. I'd had the lorry for a few years and knew the engine to be good and considered fitting to a Landy. However, after doing a bit of research, I decided it was just to heavy and has a limited rev range compared to a more modern diesel. They do sound good though :)

A 2 stroke diesel would be good.

From what I gather the limiting factor is the the turbo and fuel rail, by "stock" I mean the internals.

This project is going to be "mid engined" and the weight split across both axles more evenly, it wont be a load carrying truck but possibly a towing/winch vehicle.

If i break a part of the drive train i will replace with something upgraded :)