Rover V8 crank pulley - what's this?

lansalot

Just measured one :)

I Fink its Imperial - 1 5/16

Nige

I was just coming here to post that, the old BL size is indeed 1" 5/16 :)

Same for A-series, B-series and various other motors, I have a socket this size, just not anything like deep enough...

IIRC my stage 1 V8 came with a crank handle as standard . Not hard to crank as quite low compression, same as I found with B81 Rolls in a Leyland martian ,just pull it over the top and away it would go!

Pretty sure dog has a lockwasher on it , so might have to tap that back , unless its been left off .

IIRC my stage 1 V8 came with a crank handle as standard . Not hard to crank as quite low compression, same as I found with B81 Rolls in a Leyland martian ,just pull it over the top and away it would go!

Pretty sure dog has a lockwasher on it , so might have to tap that back , unless its been left off .

The B81 i saw hand started was not in a Martian but in a Stolly and as said it was just pulled over the top and away it roared.

I used a 34mm socket on mine, slightly loose fit, 32 won't go, 1 5/16" is 33.33mm. 3/4" rattle gun had it off in a jiffy, no lock washer.

Starting handle on the 101 is very handy for setting timing.

Thanks for all the measuring, chaps! Had to try it by eye coz of the depth of the pulley. Gonna be an ordeal finding a socket like that, will ask around. Can see me horsing the engine into a trailer and towing it round all the garages ;-)

:)

Hand starting an RV8? Try hand starting a Rolls Royce B81, thats 6.5ltr of straight 8 petrol.

With you there Phil, some out there are (dare I say) wet behind the ears :rolleyes: I can remember watching a big old six pot diesel being swung into life by two blokes using a rope (loop in the centre for the handle) a guy on either end pulling, one after the other with someone else on the de-compressor lever. I've hand-cranked many a big straight six petrol myself.

I've got the correct, deep impact socket here  If your in this neck of the woods, feel free to collect or PM your address and I'll pop it in the post then send it back when you are finished.

That's an outstanding offer! I'll pm you my address, many thanks :)

Am in fact in Aberdeen this weekend for a stag night (paintball Saturday, beer later), but somehow I think meeting up and doing anything remotely useful or productive might well be out of the question after that :P

A

Mega-thanks to Fatboy, his socket and 3/4-1/2" adapter did the trick. Incidentally, the socket is marked 34mm and 1&11/32". It was perfect.

Thought I was gonna have to inject myself with porridge to get it off, but slid the breaker-bar inside the handle on the hi-lift and swung it straight over. Result :D

Won't be reusing that one in the future, "standard" from now on...

TRE, if you still want it, it's yours :-)

post-4925-0-75068300-1302530191_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

lansalot, did you install MS on that engine? can you please post pictures of the trigger disk? do I need to remove the pulley? is it installed between the pulley and engine, or ontop the pulley?

trulyalya, go to the MS section. All will be revealed