ride comfort, parabolic issues?

Landy-Novice

hello all, on the way back from the mot man (finally passed):D i notice how bad the ride really is, i have fitted parabolic's, 2 leaves at front and 2 at back with a supporting leaf? with pro comp 3000 shocks and tyre pressure at 25, im not expecting a rolls Royce ride but when i was launched out of my seat on a flat road it made me think! where am i going wrong? and the paras are from gb springs. cheers all LN

I have GB springs and have never been that impressed with them (not helped by one of them breaking at the LRW show 3 weeks after being fitted) If I was offered a decent set of LR original springs I could well be tempted to use them!

when you fitted the paras - did you leave all the nuts loose and take it for a quick spin to allow everything to settle before torquing them all up?

If not, there is the chance you have nipped up a bush with the springs on full extension and its all bound up.

seatbelt??:rolleyes: its a "68, no seat belts in sight :D

and fridge, lookin' good :P but the £200+ thats alot, and you got a discount?? why has it got a strap on it? is it like a spring rather than a damper like the pro comp? and what the hell is that turret thingy?? in TOTAL, what would it cost me? inc turents etc.. LN

I had TI Console parabolics on my 88" along with Pro-Comp ES3000s. The ride was pretty spine jarring! I put some of this down to the lack of front axle weight with the V8 weighing much less than the 2.25P.

On the rear, I removed the 3rd leaf, but that leaf does very little until there's a bit of weight in the back. Keeping the spare wheel in the back helped a bit.

BTW - I thought the seatbelt age exemption year was pre-1965. Your 1968 Landy should have belts fitted and you do have to wear them. Surprised your MOT man didn't bring this up.

Im on 2 leaf fronts 3 rear 88 soft top so running very light...bog std £10 shocks...not coiler comfort but IMHO pretty dam good compared to the old multi leaf springs...still have to near stop for speed bumps or the back end takes off...bloody annoying things....on radial tyres 205x16 25psi rear maybe your 750s are to hard.

Nick.

Check here for details on seatbelts:

ROSPA

Apparently all vehicles in Europe had to be fitted with front seat belts from 1965 onward.

In 1968 this was the altered slightly so that three point belts had to be fitted- the wording actually says "retro-fitted to newer cars".

As yours is 1968 it should have belts I would think...

*edited so that ROSPA text in link was not written "RSOPA" :D

mines a 200TDI on sh*tpart parabolics 2 leaf front 3 leaf rear standard shocks

these are the ONLY sh*tpart product i would reccomend

its a little choppy with no weight in the back especially as its a truck cab but its actually not bad at all for a series, CD player rarely skips

and yes you actually can hear it thanks to all my soundproofing.

L.N. Your MOT man is not "awesome" he has issued a ticket to a vehicle that technically isn't road legal.

Don't wish to be a bore but if it hasn't got seat belts fitted you are risking points on your licence and a fine every time you drive it on the road.

Assuming you meet a Sherrif that knows his stuff ;-)

Im on 2 leaf fronts 3 rear 88 soft top so running very light...bog std £10 shocks...not coiler comfort but IMHO pretty dam good compared to the old multi leaf springs...still have to near stop for speed bumps or the back end takes off...bloody annoying things....on radial tyres 205x16 25psi rear maybe your 750s are to hard.

Nick.

Take a leaf out of the rear spring packs, that will soften it up a fair bit! I run 3leaf rears on my 109 softtop with a big spare wheel (and carrier) hanging on the back of it and even that is quite stiffly sprung.

and fridge, lookin' good :P but the £200+ thats alot, and you got a discount?? why has it got a strap on it? is it like a spring rather than a damper like the pro comp? and what the hell is that turret thingy?? in TOTAL, what would it cost me? inc turents etc.. LN

£50 a corner isn't a lot for four decent (and massively long) shock absorbers, try buying bog standard ones for a normal car and see how far you get. Although I'm sure Britpart will sell you some for £3 a set there's a very good reason for that.

You can buy standard length/fit ones, I bought long ones (and turrets) 'cos that's how my truck's built. Look at decent makes like Old Man Emu, Bilstein, Monroe and you should find plenty that will bolt on to your truck.

The strap stops them extending to full length while you're trying to fit them (which gas-charged shocks will do), unlike ProComps you can't push 'em back by hand.

ok freezer, but will old man and monroe and the same effect as yours just minus the length as in a spring not a damper effect ??? and would having f***ked rear chassis bushed be the/ one of the problems?

and nicks90, how many miles do i drive it for to set them in?? all the nuts or just the shackle nuts? cheers LN :)