London Low Emmission Zone

Def90

I just put my old Uk reg for my 96 110 300 tdi and it now says "According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time."

last time i looked in january of this year it said i would does this mean they have changed the restrictions?

I just put my old Uk reg for my 96 110 300 tdi and it now says "According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time."

last time i looked in january of this year it said i would does this mean they have changed the restrictions?

I wouldn't put too much faith in the LEZ compliance checker, I think they've **cked-up.

I've just tried the registration number of my 1989 2.5 Diesel-Turbo 110 Hardtop, and it says -

03 Jan 2012 to onwards - Not Subject to LEZ

What does not subject to the Low Emission Zone mean?

According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time.

On the several occasions that I've looked it up previously, it's never been compliant :huh:

Lots of people in the last few days have reported previously 'subject to LEZ' vehicles now being not subject. I am wondering if there has been a cock up. I very much doubt that tfl have suddenly decided that land rovers shouldnt be covered by this stupid law!

I think the 'clue' is the fact that the graphics on the TFL website show a representation of a Defender; they are after us as a group and seemingly have free reign to make up the rules as they go along.

My reg comes up as exempt from the LEZ, but that's only because the DVLA still think my 110 van is a petrol (it's not back on the road yet) - and the DVLA want reciepts from a garage to prove the conversion (see other thread on here).

Whilst it's tempting to just leave the V5 as is, I won't as if I have a crash, it could provide the insurance company with an excuse not to pay up.

Honestly, I hate to sound like a Daily Mail Website forum poster, but slowly we are becoming slaves to rules & procedures un-elected beaurocrats think up at the behest of politicians with a 'green' agenda. They work for us, not the other way round! /rant

Is this bit taken from the tfl website new? I don't recall seeing it before and I thought I had read most of it a few times ....

Light 4x4 utility vehicles

There are many types of light 4x4 utility vehicle. It is their classification (decided by the manufacturer and the European Union) that determines whether they're affected by the LEZ or not.

Light 4x4 utility vehicles classed as cars are not affected by the LEZ. Those classed as commercial vehicles are subject to the LEZ. This can be found on a VSC registration certificate under 'Body Type.'

Any vehicle designed to carry goods, or more than nine passengers, is classed as a commercial vehicle, even it's only used for recreational purposes. These include:

* All models of pick-up vehicles, including dual cab pick-ups

* Commercial or 'panel van' variants of light utility vehicles (these can be identified by having a goods-carrying capacity in place of seating and metal panels in place of windows)

* Light utility vehicles that have more than 8 passenger seats

If your light utility vehicle is subject to the LEZ, then you can find out about your options

If you think that your light 4x4 utility vehicle has been classified incorrectly, please register your vehicle with TfL

If you have any queries, please contact us on 0845 607 0009.

taken from http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-4

Just had a phone call from Landrover Customer services, they say that all pre 1998 Defenders regardless of wheather they are SW or hardtops, factory fitted or not are will be subject to LEZ in 2012,

Apparrently DVLA has told landrover that it has reclassified all pre1998 as being Light 4x4 utilty regardless of how it came out of the factory.

NOT HAPPY

I've just spoke to Land Rover Customer services and was told that the DVLA are reclassifying some vehicles, but these are on a case by case basis at the owners request. The DVLA then contact Land Rover to check the reclassification is correct.

Is this bit taken from the tfl website new? I don't recall seeing it before and I thought I had read most of it a few times ....

There are many types of light 4x4 utility vehicle. It is their classification (decided by the manufacturer and the European Union) that determines whether they're affected by the LEZ or not.

Light 4x4 utility vehicles classed as cars are not affected by the LEZ. Those classed as commercial vehicles are subject to the LEZ. This can be found on a VSC registration certificate under 'Body Type.'

Any vehicle designed to carry goods, or more than nine passengers, is classed as a commercial vehicle, even it's only used for recreational purposes. These include:

* All models of pick-up vehicles, including dual cab pick-ups

* Commercial or 'panel van' variants of light utility vehicles (these can be identified by having a goods-carrying capacity in place of seating and metal panels in place of windows)

* Light utility vehicles that have more than 8 passenger seats

If your light utility vehicle is subject to the LEZ, then you can find out about your options

If you think that your light 4x4 utility vehicle has been classified incorrectly, please register your vehicle with TfL

If you have any queries, please contact us on 0845 607 0009.

taken from http://www.tfl.gov.u...tkt-tab-panel-4

Just above the encouraging bit you posted is another damning entry:

Some examples of vehicles that might be used for private purposes but are still subject to the LEZ include:

• Light 4 x 4 utility vehicles, weighing over 1.205 tonnes unladen
  • Pick-ups weighing, over 1.205 tonnes unladen
  • Vehicles with a commercial vehicle body type (for example, vans), weighing over 1.205 tonnes unladen
  • Minibuses with more than eight seats, plus the driver's seat
  • Motor Homes/Motorised Caravans, weighing over 2.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Ambulances weighing over 2.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight

B*******r

Some examples of vehicles that might be used for private purposes but are still subject to the LEZ include:

* Light 4 x 4 utility vehicles, weighing over 1.205 tonnes unladen

So which section wins then?

If i have a print off from transport for london's vehicle finder website saying i don't have to pay! How could i be found to be in breach of the LEZ and what are the penalties ?

I only come to london in a vehicle once every blue moon but when i do i stay in Waterloo area!

The penalties are £100 a day! Hence why everyone is so concerned, especially as the zone comes out nearly as far as the M25.

I doubt the print out would save you as it has the disclaimer on it saying they are currently updating it, although that has been there for a long while ..... obviously they aren't beating the work experience kids hard enough ;)

About 2 years ago, my CSW was not exempt. I had it re-classified estate (instead of light utility 4x4) - this is how it should have been in the first place, then I registered it with tfl. I never got any confirmation from tfl except that its status changed from exempt to 'not subject' on the compliance checker. In light of this thread, i phoned tfl yesterday, i was told it was definately still 'not subject'. I asked where my letter was confirming it was exempt and they had no knowledge of my registration papers :( . The chap on the phone actually suggested a screenshot of the tfl compliance checker as evidence that it was exempt. He also suggested i send all of the registration paperwork again to enable them to generate a letter (not sure i'll do this unless its status changes on the checker).

He also said that the status was not likely to change since it was currently not subject and also that a decision on the status of land rovers was awaited from the mayors office. I'm not sure how true these last bits are as a lot of this stuff seems to vary dependong on who you speak to on the day.

The status of Land Rovers ? are they being singled out ?? would not a toyota or similar 4x4 be classed as light utility ? or are Land Rover unique in being a 4x4 AND an estate ?

Paul

May have been the way i asked the guy the question - i asked specifically about land rovers. TBH, i had assumed that since the toyotas etc were more car like, they were likely to have been classified as estate in the first place like a disco or RRC.

Cheers for phoning TFL, just goes to show how badly run the whole thing is when it seems everyone is being told a different story in one way or another...

..... also that a decision on the status of land rovers was awaited from the mayors office.......

If that bit is true it really is 'a bit slack'* as it's less than 6 months till it is implemented and even TFL aren't actually sure what vehicles it applies to :blink:

*Replace with whichever suitable phrase springs to mind

just been back on LEZ sight and found this The enforcement process is defined by law. This guide explains what notices you may receive.

Warning letters

We will issue a warning letter to the registered keeper of a vehicle that doesn't meet the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) emissions standards on the first occasion it's observed in the LEZ. This is provided it's not exempt, has registered for a 100 per cent discount or has paid the daily charge.

If the same vehicle is driven in the LEZ within a 28-day period from the date of issue of the warning letter, a Penalty Charge will not be incurred. After this 28-day period you risk being issued a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) if you drive in the zone and your vehicle still doesn't meet the required emissions standard.

In the event of a change of keeper after the warning letter has been issued, any new keeper will not be issued a further warning letter. If the 28-day period after the warning letter has expired, a PCN will be issued to the registered keeper at the time of the contravention.

If you believe the warning letter has been issued in error you should contact us on 0845 607 0009

it looks like you get the first trip or month for free :P

with this in mind next time i decide to travel all the way down to the Smoke i will run the Gauntlet and see if they write to me afterwards :ph34r:

just been back on LEZ sight and found this The enforcement process is defined by law. This guide explains what notices you may receive.

Warning letters

We will issue a warning letter to the registered keeper of a vehicle that doesn't meet the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) emissions standards on the first occasion it's observed in the LEZ. This is provided it's not exempt, has registered for a 100 per cent discount or has paid the daily charge.

If the same vehicle is driven in the LEZ within a 28-day period from the date of issue of the warning letter, a Penalty Charge will not be incurred. After this 28-day period you risk being issued a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) if you drive in the zone and your vehicle still doesn't meet the required emissions standard.

In the event of a change of keeper after the warning letter has been issued, any new keeper will not be issued a further warning letter. If the 28-day period after the warning letter has expired, a PCN will be issued to the registered keeper at the time of the contravention.

If you believe the warning letter has been issued in error you should contact us on 0845 607 0009

it looks like you get the first trip or month for free :P

with this in mind next time i decide to travel all the way down to the Smoke i will run the Gauntlet and see if they write to me afterwards :ph34r:

This is a cheap way of them not writing to all drivers of affected vehicles within the UK - this way, they will only pick up the drivers that will use the LEZ area. It also gives them a get out clause with their database for all of those vehicles they will no doubt have wrongly classified as affected by the zone - it gives a 28 day arguing period to sort out these errors!

thats the fist time i've seen that. I wish they did it with speeding tickets and parking tickets.

I might put my letter in the windscreen should i ever go to london in the 110. More likely it will be to the airport than anywhere else,,,,, or if i take the wrong exit. I might pay the congestion charge / parking and go sleep in it rather than a hotel next time i'm down for a beer/shopping/night out.

• 1 month later...

thats the fist time i've seen that. I wish they did it with speeding tickets and parking tickets.

I might put my letter in the windscreen should i ever go to london in the 110. More likely it will be to the airport than anywhere else,,,,, or if i take the wrong exit. I might pay the congestion charge / parking and go sleep in it rather than a hotel next time i'm down for a beer/shopping/night out.

Hi,How did you ever resolve this ? It has now become a problem for mine. I have a CSW that is registered as a light utility, however I think mine started life as a commercial and has been converted (Not by me) at some stage....... I have read some of your previous entries and get from that that you sent them MANY photo's etc.......

Any help would be appreciated,

cheers

Andy

As far as i was aware, taking our 1995 300tdi defender into London costs a rather laughable £100 a day, this comes from me entering the reg number into the Transport For London site earlier this year.

Seeing as we never go into London, it's never been an issue, but we want to go and look at a car for sale in NW9, which is outside the congestion charge but inside the LEZ, so after entering my reg number into the TFL site today, it says i don't need to do anything!

Can anyone make sense of this?!