Which new block/short engine ?

Dave W

I have a low mileage (for it's age) 2000 X reg 4.0V8 P38 Range Rover. in the last couple of months it's started using a bit of water and after a run the top hose is completely solid. The water seems to be blowing out of the expansion tank overflow. Given it's age and mileage and that it's still on the original block there's a strong possibility that the block will need replacing.

So, the question is, does anyone have any experience, advice, recommendations etc... when it comes to sourcing a replacement short engine ?

The two "obvious" solutions would be:

1) Turner Engineering remanufactured short engine with ductile (top hat) liners with a 3 year warranty on the block.

2) A "new" Coscast short engine from RPI.

Both of the above come in at around £2500 once VAT and carriage are taken into account so there's really nothing to choose between the two there.

I have looked at trading the Rangie in against something newer but it'll cost me the best part of £12000 to get anything that I'd consider an "upgrade" over what I have now so I'm more or less resigned to repairing this one and keeping it for a few more years yet as I only do around 5000 miles a year in it, most of that on the M62.

The porous block issue is rarer than your post seems to make out in all honesty, it is quite possible that you just have what many other cars suffer from -a head gasket failure. Get the heads off and the block tested and see where you are from there.

If it does turn out to be a porous block/liner issue then I wouldn't recommend either of the above companies, RPI because they are rip off merchants, and Turner, as whilst good reports are made of them, they are still a very expensive way of doing things. Find the right engineering firm and you can get your existing block top hatted for around £800, add in a set of rings and bearings and you are still less than £1K. This assumed you can do an engine build yourself of course... The Rover V8 isn't a complicated beast in all honesty, and if you're handy with spanners you'd have no trouble.

If you do end up buying a shirt engine, you may as well go for the 4.6 ;)

i've used "V8 Developments" for all the bit when rebuilding V8's.there's not a lot that Ray/Shaun don't know about them.they're pretty good on price compared to the likes of RPi and won't rip you off for unnecessary work.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely give JE and ACR a call. The biggest issue I have is that I can't have the car off the road for any length of time, it's the car I use for work and, although I work from home most of the time I can be required to head out for work at any time without much notice,

I can cope without it for a few days, a week at the most, so I have to pay someone to do the work. Rebuilding the engine may work out more expensive than buying a ready built up short engine but it's not completely out of the question. If I get my own block reworked it'll need to be turned around in a couple of days max whereas an exchange short block can be at the garage before I drop the Rangie off which reduces the chance of something going tits up and delaying everything.

I'm still hoping it will turn out to be a head gasket but better to be prepared...

Dave,

This may seem an odd post up, but..............

I have in the workshop a Good Condition 3.9 Serp engine, complete with just the water pump / timing cover etc removed.

As yours is a 4.0 you could just pop the front end of yours in and use it. I am not looking to sell it, as I have / do use it for prototyping

work on MS, and also have a weird longer term plan for it, but, I can bung it on a pallet, and have it delivered to you door for not much at all

you could then fit it, use it and have time then to sort out your engine. I'm in no rush for it back as have a list of things I need to do ....

When your finished I can get it picked up, if you can find a forumeer to either / and / or collect / deliver either / both ways, then its a free loan

I wouldn't wnat anything for the time you have it, and if you blow it up :lol: etc etc then no probs as it would have done it anyway :lol:

So, if it helps theres an odd offer for you.

Engine is in Haslemere Surrey, can send pics if you need

Nige :ph34r: