Straight through exhuast

Yesterday I decided after a little reading on the forum that I would cut up my standard exhaust system and make a straight through side exhaust. I havnt increased the bore of the pipe but just removed the 3 boxes and brought it out in front of the rear wheel. Driving around today has seen a significant increase of power, it has made my defender so much more drivable and from what I can see from the miles I have covered today it's doing better mpg. The only thing that has started to play on my mind is that I have I now made something that I'm gaining the benefits from now but in the long run going to cause me headaches and more money in the land rover piggy bank. What are the downsides? Also if I was now to increase the fueling slightly would that cause any problems?

Cheers

Tom

Ps it's a 200tdi disco block with defender turbo and cases with roughly seeing 170,000 miles

Turbo will kill the sound a lot, but at high revs it might be deemed too loud. Exhaust in front of the rear wheel is a very common alteration and I've not heard of anyone suffering from internal fumes. Turbo will supply sufficient back pressure, so the engine won't suffer from it.

Les.

The sound isnt to bad at all, defiantly not as loud as some of the scoobys n BMW around here. I will have to see about the exhuast gases don't really want to the gf moaning as I can still hear the radio. Interested in this problem with the turbo? Any more on this?

Cheers

Tom

Ps it's a k reg defender

many many many poeple have straight throughs on land rover TDIs

i never heard of any problems relating to it whatsoever

if the MOT man fails it on noise, take it down the road. they are under the noise levels (just) so its at the MOT-ers descretion

After experiencing a no-silencer exhaust (mine fell off!) I'd never remove them from a vehicle. The noise and turbo whine was horrible, even for the 1/2 day I was driving it like that!

Side exit with one (centre) silencer is as far as I'd go, and even then if it was too noisy I'd change it back.

My truck has the exhaust exiting just behind the passenger door. Only time I ever get fumes in the cab is occasionally with the puff of smoke on start up.

I love the sound mine makes with such a short pipe and a small cherry bomb :D (Thanks to Siwhite).

Is yours on the road often enough to hear it? ;):D

hate to upset anyone but straight thru exhausts on normal cars make bugger all difference. In a previous life I sold roots blowers which need lots of silencing.

Our silencer bod had a side line doing stright thru manifolds and cherry bomb straight thrus for several euro touring cars inc volvo V70 SW.

He also sold to cavalier sri owners but confessed that when they tested them on dyno bed it made less than 2 bhp diiference at the flywheel. in the touring cars 350 bhp+ they gained an extra 20-30 bhp mainly cos of the reduced back pressure.

So I think unless you have a very different TDi to mine it's all an audial illusion, in the same way if you get one of the vauxhall insignias which sport button there is no more actual power but it the ecu revs more quickly so feels much more powerful

on non turbo'd vehicles. yes youre right, bugger all difference. but with a non restrictive exhaust i.e. straight through, the turbo can spool up much quicker, which improves power earlier in the rev range, it wont stall as much at high revs cos therees less backpressure, and because it spools quicker and earlier, it burns more efficiently. ;)

can almost go with that but TDi has a soil pipe for an exhaust so still going to make no difference. if you ever lose the manifold gasket tween header and down pipe you will notice shed load of noise but nothing else. the engine hasn't enough draw to get backfiring. Now try it with an old rover vitesse and hear it pop and the power will rise a bit.

Those that I know that have removed all the silencers have complained that the drone at motorway speeds is headache inducing on longer trips. The refitting of one of the original silencers seems to eliminate it.

HTH

Mo

well i do have just the standard disco 1 back box, it does sound sweet, quiet at low revs, growls reasonably nicely, turbo whistles and spools well and never had any noise issues even at 70+ (yes i know it is a series but quite modified and will touch 90-95)