The Grave yard

Bos

Has anyone been able to use their winch as a crane ?

I need to lift a rear axle onto a trailer - and would make sense to use the vehicle, especially the winch - any thoughts ?

Also might use it to lift an engine if possible too.

Cheers

Peter

I've thought about making a rig on an axle to use for moving boats about.

For one-off use, you could build something stationary out of scaffold etc. the hassle of containing and using the pull/lift could make it quite complicated, you don't want to just pull the A - frame into your bonnet!

as an aside, looks like using a pulling winch for lifting is a big no-no in terms of HSE, any grown-ups i've mentioned it to have started shaking their head quickly.

crane.jpg

agreed, adverts arent the way id like to see this forum go. however a repituble supplier of a product thats being discussed giving honest info about the product can only be a good thing. a decent supplier will have a lot of knowledge about the product & able to tell you why its good/bad for that application.

does it really matter if someone says i sell 'xyz' & its good for that task becuase & gives honest reasons or someone else says so & so sells 'xyz' & its good cause & lists the same reasons. IMHO problems start if people say you need 'xyz' that i sell cause its perfect for that, when infact there are better options or 'xyz' is just pain unsuitable for the task.

Personaly couldnt give a F*** im afraid, what does it matter :D

I have to say, after 4 pages of going round in circles and away from the original topic, Bathtub expresses exactly what I am thinking; we need more like you!

Daan

Okay so its back to using a high-lift jack to raise one end onto the trailer, and 4 waffle boards, then drag it on with the winch.

I can see a harvey frost style A-frame might work, so long a it can be secured at an angle ? with something, either a ground support post or a couple of cables held by a roof bar or two, to the a-frame or via roller bars back to the rear hitch. And using a couple of snatch blocks to reduce the load.

Would make an interesting problem for one of those challenge events.

BTW I know its a big no no, but a front mounted Land Rover winch should be used for self recovery - so if the vehicle is stationary, thats a huge amount of power not being utilised to lift the equivalent of a 100kg tree trunk.

Thanks,

Peter

Ok as they said again on Top Gear on Sunday .

That you can't be a real petrol head untill you have an alfa. Well since they first said this i have always thought that Land Rover should also be included in with this.

After all they admit the only rerson for this is the fact that they are not reiable and do break down, plus have so much character, so you end up loving them and their faults. mmm sounds like a Land Rover to me :)

So does this make us all real petrol heads :)

Am i alone on this or what is everyone else thoughts

And with that final word if anyone has a burning desire to add thoughts of wisdom to this fine thread please PM a Moderator or Admin so they can

let you in so to speak.

other wise we(collective we) will have to see this go on and on and on.

if you want a change post up a poll and hope loads of others agree with you.

I've used my Husky to refit a rebuilt engine into a Series 1 chassis a few years back, the small hand block/tackle wouldn't work, so using the lifting frame [4 leg version & crossbeam] we used my winch to do the heavy stuff, worked really well & all done very slowly.

Has anyone been able to use their winch as a crane ?

I need to lift a rear axle onto a trailer - and would make sense to use the vehicle, especially the winch - any thoughts ?

Also might use it to lift an engine if possible too.

Cheers

Peter

Have a mate who used to go to a corner of his site and change his front springs by attc the winch cable to a branch and winching the car up into the air. :)

Can't you grab a helping hand?

A mate and I have carried a salisbury axle and put it on a flatbed, not in a rush to do it again, but it wasn't too bad.

Yes, but wanted to see who has an answer - yes we've all done things we should not do ref; health and safety for all you namby pambied 1980's cotton wooled kids out there - but, if your on your own and you need to lift a hefty weight, how can you use your winch to do it ? Surely there must be some Army tricks to do it, in the field.

Broke 2 heavy duty cheap t-max winches last year recovering my landrover so doubt using it as a lifting device will break it. Now that I have a proper Warn winch, and often use it to drag heavy fallen trees out the way, even other landrovers.

Obviously I know anything like this is at my own risk, and no-one should ever do anything they feel is dangerous or stupid. Like putting themselves under a vehicle that just supported with a high-lift jack - seen this loads of times - but too scary for me.

Funny, Dave H sold his Alfa because it was too reliable :blink:

Not the one i towed back from Bristol he did not :)

Did the alfa thing of snapping a cambelt 10,000 miles before it was due to be changed, cost him a bloody fortune to get it fixed