Cleaning the inside of my front axle...again.

I'm after some more ideas to clean the inside of the axle.

I stripped it to fit my new diff and shafts, but noticed on the upper half of the inside of the axle has some sort of crusty gunk on it. The oil that came out was also darker than I expected.

The gunk is like a grinding paste, and seems to be some rust :unsure:.

So far I've been using the pressure washer to blast out as much as I can, and also using a wire brush rammed into the end of my jack handle.

Anyone got any more ideas for cleaning the axle?

Nothing other than make sure it is REALLY dry before reassembly, sounds like you may have left a touch of moisture in there after the last clean out, and the vapour has caused some surface rust.

Either that or something was leaking in when you went wading, but not sure whether you did silly stuff like that or not :)

Phosphoric acid bought as 'jenlight' left in there to soak. Don't breath it, but it re-processes rust :D

Also good in a jam jar if stuff is small enough to fit in. Especially good at freeing ball bearings if they are soaked in it!

The aircraft boys soak sulphiric acid into coton wool type stuff. I havn't found a handy household equivalent for phosphoric yet.....

Actually ended up doing something very similar Simon...

A friend suggested the idea, bit of bar (I used a bit of M12 All thread) cut a slit in the end about 3" long, and put in two strips of emery cloth back to back. I then used a nut either side of the emery to hold it in place. Popped it in the drill and hey presto! I then jet washed both sides of the case through (blocking the first while doing the second one ;)). Just the pumpkin to clean this afternoon then hopefully it is rebuild time! :D