Sleeving LT230 Transferbox

need4speed

On inspection of my bare LT230 case, i have discovered that there is some wear in the hole where the intermediate shaft goes through. There are wear ridges in the hole that you can feel with your fingernail. I have read that a good modification is to sleeve this hole with a steel insert. I know for sure that ashcrofts do it though i dont know what they charge. Does anyone know of other companies that carry out this? Just so i can compare prices before i contact ashcrofts. Indeed, could ANY machine shop carry it out?

TIA

Phil

Fridge, what the hell is a speedisleeve?

Thats the one reb. I spoke to a local engineering shop today and he says he can shrink fit a steel insert into the bare case for around £50. As well as shrink-fitting it he says he will also pin it in place for added security.

You need to make sure the sleeve is fitted in the right 'place'. A 0.001" either way and the gear mesh will either be to tight or loose - gear backlash issues, gears running noisey as thay are running off the correct mesh pattern when thay have bedded in in slightly different postion. I'd scrap the case and look for another.....

Adrian

Hi We regularly re-sleeve these now, bore out existing hole and rebush using a steel insert with a small shoulder to prevent movement, ask Dave for details I'm sure he will re-bush your existing box if you ask.

Regards Ian Ashcroft

Guide to sleeving a LT230 case the Ashcroft way !

buy one of these :

D1168.jpg

employ a guy who knows what buttons to press :

D1169.jpg

machine a stepped bore in the right place :

D1170.jpg

buy one of these :

D1171.jpg

turn one of these, note chamfer to lead into casing and rad on bore to lead in O ring :

D1174.jpg

press into the casing and it's done :

D1173.jpg

Dave