DVLA/HYbrid/SVA

Les Brock

Right I have eventually heard back from the DVLA/VOSA about the hybrid..

From DVLA, Bristol, Kits and rebuilds

and I quote

"I am writing further to the ongoing case with your Range Rover

We have recieved instruction from the DVLA Swansea that your vechicle will need to be registered with "Q" registration mark

Please complete the enclosed V55/5 and provide ID as per enclosed INF148

If you also send in the tax disk of your vechicle we will issue a replacement tax disk in the new registration mark.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us"

Mr ........

Kits and Rebuild

Bristol

Errrr....... :unsure: ......... :huh: ....... :blink: .....errrr

no mention of a S*A

Ring them I think...

finally get to speak to some one....if they did'nt ask for one it don't need one :blink:

so anyone know what there getting at :huh: ......will someone please either cheer me up or upset me.....with what they think it means

Right I have eventually heard back from the DVLA/VOSA about the hybrid..

From DVLA, Bristol, Kits and rebuilds

and I quote

"I am writing further to the ongoing case with your Range Rover

We have recieved instruction from the DVLA Swansea that your vechicle will need to be registered with "Q" registration mark

Please complete the enclosed V55/5 and provide ID as per enclosed INF148

If you also send in the tax disk of your vechicle we will issue a replacement tax disk in the new registration mark.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us"

Mr ........

Kits and Rebuild

Bristol

Errrr....... :unsure: ......... :huh: ....... :blink: .....errrr

no mention of a S*A

Ring them I think...

finally get to speak to some one....if they did'nt ask for one it don't need one :blink:

so anyone know what there getting at :huh: ......will someone please either cheer me up or upset me.....with what they think it means

Les.

DVLA and VOSA are not one and the same.

A vehicle will be issued with a Q plate (and a DVLA Local Office supplied VIN number) if it's age cannot be established - ie in the case of a hybrid type vehicle made up from parts of varying vintage. The registration / taxation etc of the vehicle is adminstered by DVLA.

The SVA - Single Vehicle Approval - would normally apply to a scratch built vehicle or import, and is a check to ensure that the vehicle complies with construction and use regs. This is administered by VOSA.

If DVLA are happy to register the vehicle on a Q then so be it. You should get a request to attend at the VRO in Bradley Stoke to have the vehicle examined - that'll be it.

Give me a shout if you need to discuss.... ;)

Cheers,

Matt

Umm, not really knowing where you are with you old truck then i don't know what will upset you..........................

but it really looks like they are just going to assign you a Q plate- that will give you a valid reg number, and a relevant valid V5 which no MOT man or insurance Co can turn down- and i reckon you can write what you like on it- i think you probably have a carte blanche to sort your vehicle out- i really wouldn't phone them again, grab this oppotunity with both hands right now!

of course if you have scrapped the blue mobile completely then you will be a wee bit p****d off- if you haven't then you should be very happy i reckon.

Matt,

The people from from Bristol sent a request about a 2 months ago to go down for an inspection, but as I could'nt drive it down, they came out to me....eventually ;)

Guy filled out a report with the engine number/gearbox/chassis/axles casings numbers etc etc.....

Asked 2001 questions

he was with me for about a hour

Les your done,

if VRO and DVLA do not indicate the need for SVA then you don't need one. Basically (and i know i will get shot down here) if your V5 accurately describes your vehicle (which yours now will) then you no one is going to require you to have an SVA!

As far as i can see, if you can get your car properly, accurately and legally registered withh a relevant and accurate V5, and no one asks for an SVA then you are fine. AFAIK there is no onus on you to present your car for an SVA if you are doing nothing dodgy or illegal.

What V5......that's where this all started I had to send it back to get the fuel changed from petrol to Diesel, as two MOT places would'nt do it and its now been going on since last November :blink:

obviously when I send this off for first liecence for a used motor vechicle and declaration for registration I will....

section 10....type approval number/catagory.....oh Fupp :o that might be it !

Sounds like you're in the clear. Been inspected on site and instructions passed to issue the V5.

So the next question that interrests me is having got your V5 and Q plate can you now transfer your cherished plate onto it?

What V5......that's where this all started I had to send it back to get the fuel changed from petrol to Diesel, as two MOT places would'nt do it and its now been going on since last November :blink:

obviously when I send this off for first liecence for a used motor vechicle and declaration for registration I will....

section 10....type approval number/catagory.....oh Fupp :o that might be it !

The V5/5 is basically the pre-crursor to a V5 isn't it- you will the V55 out with the corect info and they send you back a V5 with the fuel type on it etc etc

you don't need to fll in Section 10 as i don't think it's relevant to you. Leave it blank and se what happens.

honestly mate it really sounds like you're in the clear- Where's john when you need him!

having got your V5 and Q plate can you now transfer your cherished plate onto it?

NO

Have VOSA looked at the vehicle ? Seeing as DVLA and VOSA don't like to talk to each other much :angry:

It looks like you've got the DVLA side sorted out, (thats the hard part), the easy part is getting VOSA sorted

Have VOSA said yay or nay to SVA test ?

When i returned returned the form applying for the new V5 (to go with the new ID and Q-plate), i was aked to provide the SVA certificate, until then, DVLA had no clue as to if i'd had it SVA'd :unsure:

Err....

Well, the people that came to look at it said it was not up to them, it was up to Swansea, they "only" do the inpections....

The guy said he normally does the SVA inspections....which was much easier.. :blink:

He then said the report would be with Swansea later the same week...

When I asked a few weeks ago what was happening, the paperwork had been at Swansea Twice and Back at what I was lead to believe was VOSA in Bristol for the third time...neither it appeared wanted to make a decision, each one saying it was the others resposibility :o

Big Sigh !

Guess what turned up in the post today ?

Yep....application for an SVA, sent the same day as the letter I got friday, but from the SVA test centre :(

Modified chassis = SVA no exceptions, even if it was done in 1997 like mine and you have 10 points from the donoe vechicle

Looks like the rebulid will be taking a little longer <_<

Get it filled in ASAP as they can take a quite a few weeks to process it / book you in

Best of luck

Thats ok.....it'll take me that long to remove everything thats not ok....and try to borrow all the stuff to get it to pass......ready to take it all off again and put it back to how it should be :angry:

total mockery of the whole system....

Esp as mine was built the year before the flaming SVA test came into being :angry:

Is the draft copy on the SVA manual dated 2004 I have still valid, or is there a newer one that someone could send me ?

Right.....need to borrow ;)

A pair of front wings without holes in for roll cage...

Bonnet.....don't think mine will be ok with vent holes and bonnet pins

Front slam panel complete with lock and grill etc....mines cut to allow winch fitment

looks like all my dash will be ripped out and back to standard then... :unsure:

any one got pictures of the "correct" seat belt mountings for a truck cab..........?

Ohh.. and a bog standard bumper

God.....am I depressed now <_<

Guest diesel_jim
A pair of front wings without holes in for roll cage...

Front slam panel complete with lock and grill etc....mines cut to allow winch fitment

any one got pictures of the "correct" seat belt mountings for a truck cab..........?

Ohh.. and a bog standard bumper

I have the above you can use. the bumper has a few holes drilled in it (For towbars and military bumperettes)

the wings, one is NATO green, one is bronze green.

I've got a red front nose panel, and the inner bonnet lock top rail thingy. no plastic grill through.

i can take some pictures of my truck cab on the 90 i'm building at the moment.

I'm in Swindon, not too far from you. shout if any of the above is useful.

Saying that, when i had my Q plated 90 SVA'd, i had a full external SD cage, 8274 and BRB bar, 3" straight trhough exhaust (quite noisy, it reached 99.7db and the limit was 101db! :o )

as my 90 had (at that time) no rear windows (plain hard top), it was classed as a "van", so half the fee, half the stuff checked, and i was in and out, paperwork done, in 35 minutes! no more stressful than an MoT.

the chaps in Brizzle were very friendly, they quite liked admiring my shiny galv'd chassis i think, it made a difference from all the Jap imported cars that some bloke was bringing in from Bristol car centre.

Only way to do it, a standard defender won't get through as a 'car'

Err....what do I stick the king cab in as then ? :unsure:

its got a load space....not much though :lol:

Tempted once I decide whats its going in as, just stick it in, at least then I know what I've got to do rather than doing everything I can think of, and not needing to

Jamie,

Ta...Crackin'

Edited to add....

Blimey Mark, its only a 88 inch to start with !

more load space in a flamin mini !

So if a Defender won't pass as a car and mines to potentially to short for a commercial....I've got no fuppin chance have I ?

Les you need to sort the load bay out so that it qualifys as a commercial. IIRC it's down to the ratio of the steering wheel to seat back distance vrs the size of the load area. Dave Lang or Fruity would know more as they both got theirs through as commercials. I believe that much less than 1/2 of the full car SVA test applies if it's a commercial.

Of course it's a commercial - it's a recovery vehicle. ;)

Look at what Land Rover sell them as - no rear windows = commercial, truck cab & pickup = commercial. If they question it ask them if they're questioning what Land Rover themselves sell them as in the UK.

Les you need to sort the load bay out so that it qualifys as a commercial. IIRC it's down to the ratio of the steering wheel to seat back distance vrs the size of the load area. Dave Lang or Fruity would know more as they both got theirs through as commercials. I believe that much less than 1/2 of the full car SVA test applies if it's a commercial.

Mark i think you will find the load bay distance is measued from the back of the front seat to the furthest part of the load bed. The second measurement is taken from the front seat upright portion to the furthest point foward into the footwell thus if the load bay is greater you should be OK Les.

As a point of interest i had my Bowler Tomcat 88 SVA'D Nov time 2002 as a commercial passed 1st time, didn't even check the lights as a commercial.

Presumably if it were deemed necessary to SVA a bobtailed Range Rover (still with a Range Rover body on it), that would not be classed as a commercial and so would have to pass the more stringent test? Would an otherwise standard Rangie pass?

Les,

Once you are sorted and you get a Q Pl;ate then thats it.

You can not EVER get the Q Plate off, and that inc trying to shove a Plate on retention / cherished transfer etc.

Oh, and some insurers don't like Q Plate LRs, so check with yours as to their view save some time

Good luck mate, at least you have taken the right route and will be legal when done, better to do this now that come a cropper later if things got nasty say RTA etc ?

Keep yer chin up, take donuts to the SVA Centre... :)

Nige

Guest diesel_jim
Les,

You can not EVER get the Q Plate off, and that inc trying to shove a Plate on retention / cherished transfer etc.

Yup, on my logbook it states that the plate (Q) can't be transferred or moved.

Oh, and some insurers don't like Q Plate LRs, so check with yours as to their view save some time

I'm with the NFU. i asked them up front (i explained that i had built the vehicle from scratch, and it had been thoroughly :rolleyes: inspected by the DVLA, all they asked for was a copy of the SVA certificate to prove it) and they had no problem at all.

Hmmpppp...

Well yes it can go in as a commercial... :)

but I need to change it to just a truck cab and I might just scrape in.. <_<

So off with the king cab :angry: ...luckily I stopped and did'nt go any further with it

anyone got a 90 truck cab roof I can borrow ????