LT230 PTO DIY kit possibly on its way

Soren Frimodt

It's alive!!!

First testrun:

The angle on the U-joints is very steep because we wanted the winch as far forward as possible. So we had to get a little creative.. Resulting in a modified TDI CV in one end with a rubber boot covering it. and a heavily trimmed U-joint in the other end.

We just had our first pull test, and I can tell you it's bl**dy fast! We only pulled in first gear just to check how everything worked, but it all worked a treat, the wire went on smooth and everything.

Sadly though it was too dark for proper footage, so none of my videos is any good :( But will take some new ones very soon! ;)

Here's some pictures of the wire routing:

post-9137-0-83956100-1326040982_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-72987400-1326040995_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-21989300-1326041005_thumb.jpg

Great work on the winch and thank you for sharing your findings... Does anybody know how this would work with an automatic gearbox?????? would it speed up and down with the strain on the cable through the gears or would you have to keep it in selected 1st?

Also have you tried drive assist with it yet???

thanks nath

very impressive Soren , I'm sure I saw smoke coming off the 130's tyres ;)

So how does it work out for drive-assist ?

And any idea of the line pull force? You have no overload protection in the system so what do you think may break first ? The operators nerve or the cable :P ?

Some excellent innovation there guys

cheers

Steveb

Drive assist is okay, but the wheels do still move faster than the winch, but on purpose, because the wheels are 38,s on coiler diffs and the winch is fitted with a series diff. So it could easily be matched, but we are not sure what works best, one to one gearing or a bit wheel slip. Time will tell..

According to our barnyard calculations the 10 spline shaft is the weakest point in the winch itself, with the 12mm wire being weaker still