orange peel cure?

Landy-Novice

afternoon all, :)

im in the process of painting my 2A SWB but we have a problem with the paint orange peeling!, why is it doing that and how do i stop it? the last top coat is going on hopefully tomorrow, do i have to rub the whole landy down and re-do it? :( a friend mentioned farecla, I've had a look at it, and i don't know what it does, which one to get and how much to get? should i buy a buffer or use the grinder? what will give the best finish? my grinder is 1100w if that helps?

thank you. :)

**EDIT** added photo.

post-30771-0-93329300-1319027237_thumb.jpg

I don't know much, but I am pretty sure your grinder will be way too fast for a polishing pad...

If the paint is actually lifting then strip down is the only way, if it is just a poor finish, you can improve it with polishing, but will take an age.

from what i can see from the pic i would say you are moving the spray gun too fast try to slow down a bit

when i spray i use 3-4 500w lights (or summer sun) and as you spray you need to look for the shine once you've seen it you'll know what i mean

if your rollering it on you may want the paint thinner but is a bugger for running

be for putting any more paint on you'll need to rub it down as i think you'll have lost your key

How are you applying the paint?? Are you mixing it to the correct ratio? I'm painting my 110 at the moment and not had any orange peel so far but I am using different paint.

Polishing will sort it but you will have to flat it back first with 2500 grit wet and dry and use it wet the polish with a proper polisher and compound I use Menzerna polish which is far better than the one you mentioned.

we are spraying it on, the 'proper' ratio is 10-15% iirc, but ii ask my old man and he said 65% paint worked for him. which we tried, which gave us the finish in the photo, 1000% better than the previous coats but still not good enough. we tried moving the gun slower, but it just runs and still orange peels (see pic) i dont think it spraying to close, 10-16 inches? not sure about the pressure, don't know how to check? and just had a look, my angle grinder is way to fast 10000rpm! i was thinking about this?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c5fd41158

post-30771-0-99256500-1319031674_thumb.jpg

i have also uploaded a photo of the devilbiss gun, apparently £400's worth of gun back in its day? :huh: what are the knobs for?

post-30771-0-73028000-1319031712_thumb.jpg

You should have a pressure gauge on your compressor I'm using around 3.5 bar for my spraying try adjusting the pressure.

A angle grinder is not suitable for polishing you need a proper polisher that has a speed adjuster. I got a dual action polisher that works well. You can use a orbital sander the type that takes round sanding pads and put a foam pad on it but they don't have the power like a proper polisher.

Take alook at elite car care they sell different types of polishers but do shop around for one, but I'm sure you could hire one.

That's the sort of thing you need re eBay link or you can get a DA one which is easier to use. The knobs on the gun control the fan size and trigger flow.

I use a gravity feed gun which I've been told ate better and waste less paint. Mine is a cheap one that came with my compressor.

I'll take some pics later to show you how mine is going.

I suspect you are spraying too far away and the paint is drying in the air on it's way which will stop it flowing out on the panel and give the lumps. Either that or your flow rate is too low on the gun or moving too fast as too little paint causes orange peel (conversely too much runs). Unless you have a massive compressor stay away from the top end 'paint shop' guns as they consume vast quantities of air. A mate of mine had an 18cfm compressor with a 200 litre resovoir to run one and even that used to cut in far more than it should. You'll need to rub it down to flat if you want a decent finish 600-800 wet and dry will do nicely and cut the paint fast if using a DA or such like, even doing it by hand would not take more than a day. Spraying Cellulose I spray at 8 inchs give or take and set the compressor to about 20psi. Unfortunately what works for me may not for you or your paint.

it's a combination of flow rate and air pressure! Your air pressure is far to high, and possibly the flow rate to high for the hand movement. I would suggest checking the air pressure and giving the gun a good clean. STart with fast movements and slow until you get a good paint cover without runs.

the compressors = 148L 4hp are set to 8 bar! :blink: and its pumping out about 410lpm :i-m_so_happy:

drying in the air?.... would that explain the bit by the bulkhead where it feels like sandpaper?

whats the best spraying distance? cellulose is better than what i got at is has self levelling formula which gives a sexy finish!! :wub:

chris200100, i look forward to see the pictures! :i-m_so_happy: there not just to rub it in are they? ;)

and what grade compound will be best for the job?

Bill The Paintman supplies the best paint I've ever used. Both the 88 and The 109 are painted with his products, etch primed, high build primer and white spirirt and celluose based top coats. Both sprayed and brushed, indoors and outdoors. I've had no problems with finish on either motor.

8 bar is 117PSI, far too high. you should be down at around 80psi, and spray from 8 to 12".

i think you are too far away and too high a pressure, if you bring the pressure down you will get a bigger band to work in ie too far and paint dries and you get sandpaper bit closer orange peel, too close runs. if the pressure is lower you will hopefully gain an inch or two :ph34r: making the job easier. cant give any pressures etc as i tend to fiddle till i get a good rhythm going, much like welding somedays it's high feed high cuurent others a more languid approach.

have a play on a sheet of scrap get in the mood and it'll work

That gun needs disassembling and given a really good clean. You need to regulate down your air supply and preferably have a moisture trap somewhere between the compressor and the gun. Read the instructions on the paint and the thinners. If you are spraying outside you need to bear in mind the weather conditions, air temperature, moisture in the air. Use bits of scrap to practice setting the gun on and get a feel of the paint before moving onto the vehicle itself.

I use an HVLP and regulate the air pressure down to 40psi. Comes out like glass.

I'd strongly suggest investing in some more modern spraygun technology! An SGA is ancient!!! I used to use a JGA, but wouldnt go back having used the HVLP - there is no comparison as regards paint finish.

To fix it, you need to wet flat it with 1200 or 1500 grit paper, to flat the bumps out, then mop it with Farecla to bring up the shine, A grinder is not suitable - you need something that turns at about 1800 rpm.

Jon

If the paint dries in the air, then you will get a sand paper feel to the paint, which can be polished out. Orange peel can be several things - not enough thinners, too thick layer, oily surface, paint reaction with the old paint, air temp too cold, for example. Can you see the old paint through the pits? If so, then you may need to remove the new paint, apply a barrier coat (barcote), then spray again. Your pic looks like a very thick layer of paint - did you allow for one coat to dry properly before applying the next or did you go for the full blast ? :)

Les.

so many questions!! right, lets start :)

happyoldgit, a filter like this? the paint didnt came with any instructions at all, just 10-15% white spirit. :(

jon w, what are tho's you mentioned? i googled sga and came up with Scottish gamekeepers association, to be honest i dont want to paint my landy with them! ;)

les h, it was paint on a hot day, the surface was clean and i used the undercoat supplyed, paint was allowed to days to harden before next coat. :)

ratty43, :hysterical: we would make a good comedy PEAR..... :rolleyes:

cwazywabbit, it is now, i was just hoping for some last minute rays! :D

jack s, the previous coat was top coat as well

got there in the end! :lol: