Mapping Apps

Jimbo_C

• 10 months later...

Some while back I downloaded the frre version of MM Tracker onto my Nexus 7 tablet. I was so impressed with it that I was planning to buy the full version, as it has some worthwhile extra features.

Unfortunately both the free and paid versions have now been removed from AndroidPIT. They were gone from Playstore some time ago. Presumabably this is because Memory Map has threatened nasty things if they did not comply.

Has anyone got a download of the full version? Not that I have figured how to side load apps yet... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer Task. Last night I found v.1.10.4 apk on t'web, which is a version newer than someone else offered me. I also think it was the current version when it went offline.

PM me if you'd like to know where I found it, I don't want to post a link on here and get the forum in trouble.

• 1 month later...

***WARNING***

To all avid users of MM Tracker on Android.

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR DEVICES TO JELLY BEAN 4.2, if you like using MM Tracker that is.

For whatever reason it will not work on Android 4.2. It doesn't seem to be a device related issue, more an O/S related one. AFAIK, uninstalling 4.2 requires rooting one's device, something I wasn't planning to do, but now may have to :(

Plenty more chat about it on XDA Developers

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite sure what you mean by using OLD maps on it. Are they dated in some way, or has the file extension changed?

If the app is free I might just have a look, but I've read elsewhere that it is not a patch on MM tracker.

The map format that is used with MM Tracker is the old Memory Map format, the new format is protected by some form of digital rights management encryption. They changed the map file format to stop people copying the maps ....... you can only read the new format with the official apps.

EDIT: The file extension changed as well.

I now have Alpine Quest on the HTC (free version though I am probably going to upgrade to the full version). Works great. You can copy any of your MM maps in qct format onto the sd card and then open them with the programme. And any maps/satellite images you look at online are stored in the cache to look at later even with no signal.

Do you have all the MM OS maps on your PC (*.qct files). If so you need to copy them (or the ones you wish to use) onto your phones' SD card and then use AQ to open the maps. It will then locate you on the map and, if you pay for it, will also record your route. I run mine with the 1:25K maps of the areas I am walking/cycling/greenlaning so as I can instantly locate myself, regardless of whether I have a phone signal or not. Not sure what your issue is though so let us know what you thought it would do that it doesn't....

Well tonight I rooted my N7 and flashed it back to Android 4.1.2. Reinstalled MM Tracker and the .qct files and now MMT works nicely again.

Next job is to make sure it doesn't update itself again.

I can highly recommend the Nexus 7 toolkit by www.Wugfresh.com for rooting :)

• 1 year later...

I know I'm reviving a very old thread here but I have discovered a solution the the MM Tracker problem discussed above. I have just found a patched version of MM Tracker which works on later versions of Android and thought you guys would be interested. There is a thread with an apk to download here (scroll down to post #467): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=816407&page=47

I don't understand why anyone would be messing about with rooting etc so they can use maps which cost money in Memory Map, when they're available for free via a $10 app on Android - Backcountry Navigator?

I've got it on my phone and my tablet, and I cache the maps I need before I leave home (or use McDonalds Wifi in France :) )

post-277-0-96536900-1390311630_thumb.jpg post-277-0-44240800-1390311639_thumb.jpg