110 rebuild. Chassis wiring...what to add?

Am about to embark on wiring my 110 rebuild. It is a very early 110 hardtop and as such the front to rear chassis loom only has provision for rear lights and fuel gauge (?). Before I pull it through the new chassis I want to upgrade it ready for future upgrades. Things I can think off I might add would be

Rear heated screen

Rear wash wipe

Can anyone think of anything else I might wish to add back there which would benefit from pre-placed wires.

Cheers

Pike

I would run a 'heavy' 12v supply suitable for 40-50A or so, include an earth wire for it and then some multicore phone wire, you can then split the supply with a 6 ish way fuse box and use the phone cable to control the relays coming off the fuse box.

Easy wiring for worklamps, beacons, 12v sockets, in cab controls for tipping trailer, trailer worklamps etc etc.

I'd also put a heavy supply down the chassis for an anderson connecter inside the back door for easy jumpstarting, tipping trailers etc.

Probably overkill but :glare:

Will.

My loom appears to be in good nick. If I thought I could get hold of a better specced loom of known quality for the price of 20 metres of cable I would be doing that! Coax might be a good idea and the speaker cables definitely makes sense as does a work light. Additional power will be taken care of direct from the battery box which is being moved to a purpose made locker in one of the forward wheel boxes.

Mark, I take it your loom has towing connections? it may be worth running some cables if you decide to include a split charge 12s socket later also what about rear work lights?

Jason.

I wouldnt put it back in the chassis,the inside is full of sharp edges and its not possible to ensure that the loom wont rub on them.I've had loom faults for this very reason on factory installed looms.

It is very easy to fit a well protected loom along the top of the chassis where it is easy to inspect/service/modify if need be.It can also dry out rather than hang around in whatever the chassis is collecting.

depends what you want and if you use it for work, whether you tow, whether you do roadside work, if you want to add anything for the looks etc.

on mine, i tow, use it for work and do roadside work i also use it for play. on the rear of my cab, i have 2x worklamps, a beacon bar, 2x cb ariels (do use my cb a lot but the second one is for show (will be for the radio antenna) i would also reccomend an interior light in the rear.

most of these, in a hardtop need running along the chassis if you want to do it neat.

my cab loom also included my roof markers, but as it was a truck cab it had to run up the front pillar then above the headlining.

I'd agree with Muddy, large power feed (personally I would run +ve and -ve straight from battery) fused to something like 70A, and then run a nice waterproof fuse box/distribution board in the back of the truck, and run a bundle of 10 or 15 thincore wires of multi colours for switching relays.

That way you have a good earth available, ample power and control wires for switching relays, and minimal volts drop over the cable run/connections.

Fridge must be fairly hefty -10-20A on start up or so? Plus a couple of worklamps (10A), HRW (20-30A), wiper (5A), couple of cigar lighter sockets..... it will soon add up very quickly.

Then some nice thick speaker wire, a pair of RCA leads (for a rear amp in the future?), some coax for CB.

Got me wondering now whether to look for some galvanised C-section tracking to mount above the rail in which I can run the leccy, fuel pipes, brake pipe, coax and anything else I might think of. Would be a neat way of doing it and would be easier to fix to a few key points on the galv chassis rather than trying to mount everything where no holes for fixings exist! Hmmmm, got me thinking now, I will get back to you all. Thanks for comments so far...

Ahem,

Currently strewn across my study floor is the following.

For on top of the O/S chassis rail:

• Full 110 loom (inc HRW, wash/wipe), Re-made in protecty-conduit with proper t- or y-pieces. But kept as LR-standard as possible inc correct colours so fault-finding is easier.
  • Fuel supply and return hoses
  • 12-core trailer cable in separate conduit, y-spliced into two, one for a modern 13-pin trailer socket, one to an old-school 7-pin. This will feed back to the fusebox so I can have a proper trailer+flasher setup)
  • Brake pipe

For on top of the N/S chassis rail:

• ‘Aux functions loom, protected in proper conduit – as per Bowie69 and Muddy’s instructions above, i.e. a thick ol’ positive and negative, various relay control cables, fused at 70 A and additional fuses/switches in a proper box, mounted on the n/s rear quarter. – I.e. accessible with the rear door only partly open, letting me turn on the rear work light/inside light
  • +VE and –VE 35mm2 cables for Anderson ‘jump’ socket/future rear winch

http://www.cablofil....4237&section=57

something like this.....

I was planning to do that with mine, think it's a good idea :)

Don't ever run a long earth from battery just pick it up locallly , otherwise you'll create an earth potential ,,

How so? If you don't run any earths through the body at all would this still be the case?

Can you explain this to a electrical numpty please....

I think he was suggesting that having a clean earth direct to battery and a dirty earth through the bodywork would create a differential in resistance between the two, hence affecting things in a negative manner.

Ergo my suggestion of running all the earths down dedicated cables and not having any bodywork earths at all.

Sorry , if all the devices connected to a supply share the same earth i.e. the chassis/body then they have equal potential. If you run a separate earth then this will have a resistance which will be greater than that achieved by using the chassis as earth. This can then cause a potential difference between circuits, This would then make circuits pass current looking for an easier return to earth than the long wire . You notice it in audio with earth loops. Haven't thought about this for over 20 years !! Finding it hard to explain.

BUT when I did installation work for vodafone etc ( carphone and radio comms stuff) we used to have to run separate earths to battery and fuse both earths and supplies. ( the fusing earth wires was because of electron flow actualy being from neg to pos if i remember)

Does this help ?if not I'll try and find a reference on the tinternet somewhere. Main crux of point was keep earths as short as possible and using a minimum of same thickness cable as supply.

Don't ever run a long earth from battery just pick it up locallly , otherwise you'll create an earth potential ,,

Edited to add:

the fusing earth wires was because of electron flow actualy being from neg to pos if i remember)

Neither of these make any sense to me at all.