Which Snorkel for a Defender 200tdi?

Hey Chaps,

So my 90 currently has a Safari snorkel on it and I've never had any issues. However was looking around for what to put on my 110 project and I was thinking that surely something that comes straight out the top of the wing rather than the side is potentially better as it can't catch on things (not that I've ever managed to do it with the 90).

Does anyone have any views on whether a top exit snorkel is better over a side exit snorkel and which one would people recommend?

Cheers,

James

Mantec do/or did one for a 2.5NA that comes through a hole drilled in the top of the wing close to the bulkhead, I have one on mine. It might be a little too small diameter for a 200tdi but all snorkles are restrictive anyway-I only connect mine when and if Im going to need it-for road journeys I disconnect the hose and just use the standard inlet pipes

If you want one that actualy seals then you want a 300 style safari or the lrdirect copy (i have one of these) or i'd have a southdown one on a comp truck, if you plan on actually using it dont forget to seal the airbox too...

Will

I prefer the military sort, heres a pic of mine on my 110: https://www.facebook...&type=3

I like this design too, The early camel trophy vehicle had some like this, I've looked all over the place for the wing top mount but no such look, when I get around to it I'll just make one up - unless anyone knows where to get one?

Mav

I like this design too, The early camel trophy vehicle had some like this, I've looked all over the place for the wing top mount but no such look, when I get around to it I'll just make one up - unless anyone knows where to get one?

Mav

Spencer at Guardian might be able to sort you one, failing that, keep trawling ebay.

Mav

Hello,

Cant see the facebook item (at work) but did notice this Camel type snorkel with wingtop mount (obviously military) http://www.paddockspares.com/pm1166-mantec-raised-air-intake-nas.html does that help at all?

Cheers

g

Mine goes through the top of the bonnet, it's a similar one to the 68mm bent diameter pipe and mushroom top, it enters just in front of the heater box and the edge of the hole has edging you'd buy from woolies etc surrounding the edge as I don't want my flexible pipework perforating, this links in with the original air box I'll get a photograph of it tomorrow if I remember

hth

John

Hello,

Cant see the facebook item (at work) but did notice this Camel type snorkel with wingtop mount (obviously military) http://www.paddocksp...intake-nas.html does that help at all?

Cheers

g

Interesting, I hadn't looked recently but I was struggling to find a supplier of them last year. 250 squid a pop its pretty expensive for what they are.

Good spot.

Mav

Hmm that looks pretty neat, is that your own making?

Mav, the bit where it goes through the bonnet was an idea I borrowed from a similar photograph to the attached photograph but most of the rest of it is a commercially made effort,(tube and mushroom top) however the bracket that attaches it to the windscreen frame I made and I also welded the 2 brackets to the snorkel tube-just 2 bits of 6mm bar I had lurking in the garage

John

post-16623-0-71486100-1327073882_thumb.jpg

Mav, the bit where it goes through the bonnet was an idea I borrowed from a similar photograph to the attached photograph but most of the rest of it is a commercially made effort,(tube and mushroom top) however the bracket that attaches it to the windscreen frame I made and I also welded the 2 brackets to the snorkel tube-just 2 bits of 6mm bar I had lurking in the garage

John

Hehe, good old Camel's again. - its a good method that doesn't need any fancy brackets.

Hehe, good old camel's again! nice job

wow, thanks for the info chaps, seems the general consensus is a southdowns snorkel. Pricey but as you say, does what it says on the tin. Less pipework as well from the looks of it.

Is there any advantage to taking it accross to the drivers side for a 200tdi? Or just let it come out on the passenger side - people were saying that the 300tdi's were better - was that just the build quality of the snorkel.

The southdowns is the same kit for driver or passenger side - so what side is better?