MOT Testers Manual Clarification

stuck

Gent's,

I've been reading through the mot testers manual & have a question.

My 110 is shod with creepy crawlers, I've fitted the widest extended arches I can find but the tyres still stick out by about 3/4".

Reading the manual it doesn't seem to mention this as long as the tyres don't foul on anything, am I missing something?

Mods, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, please move if it is.

Cheers,

Mick.

This type of thing has come up before, a vehicle can pass an MOT but be illegal on the road.

Tyres sticking out is a classic.

The other one I was told about was dangerous add ons, it is against MOT regs to have sharp edges on the out side of a car CAUSED BY DAMAGE OR CORROSION, if they are added intentionally then they aren't an MOT failure (although I expect many MOT testers would try and do something about them if they are too dangerous). A classic example is the pedestrian dicing wires people seem to like attaching from the roof to the front of the wing, illegal and dangerous but not an MOT failure.

The views of an actual MOT tester and how they cope with this would be interesting.

This type of thing has come up before, a vehicle can pass an MOT but be illegal on the road.

Tyres sticking out is a classic.

The other one I was told about was dangerous add ons, it is against MOT regs to have sharp edges on the out side of a car CAUSED BY DAMAGE OR CORROSION, if they are added intentionally then they aren't an MOT failure (although I expect many MOT testers would try and do something about them if they are too dangerous). A classic example is the pedestrian dicing wires people seem to like attaching from the roof to the front of the wing, illegal and dangerous but not an MOT failure.

The views of an actual MOT tester and how they cope with this would be interesting.

Don't know that brush wires are illegal, however, common sense would dictate removing them for road use.

As progress on byways is usually slow I would have thought that protecting the windscreen from overhanging branches etc.would be a good move.

I don't have them myself but I do know a policeman that does.

A classic example is the pedestrian dicing wires people seem to like attaching from the roof to the front of the wing, illegal and dangerous but not an MOT failure.

Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

http://www.legislati...8/contents/made

Some bedtime reading for you :)

Got any proof Sean F that they are illegal?

I really cannot be bothered to read through the whole C&U regs :P

Not read the full C & U regs either!.

The info I had was from a guy I worked with a few years ago. He had an accident which resulted in a cyclist going over the bonnet and getting caught in the wire on the way. Case went to court and although he was cleared of any responsibility for the accident (cyclist was blamed) he was given an official warning for a dangerous modification which (according to the court) resulted in more serious injuries than would otherwise have been the case. His insurance company also pulled his insurance as they hadn't been informed about the wires and since they resulted in a higher claim than would otherwise be the case believed they should have been.

Not sure if that makes them actually illegal technically or not but he was warned that he could have been prosecuted further but the CPS decided not to, not to sure over exactly what the charge or defense would have been if this had happened.

For off road use they rarely serve any usefull purpose as anything up to 1 - 1 1/2" can quite easily be deflected by the screen (the lanes round here are generally narrow so I do this all the time) and since most of the time the wires are attached to the wing top and the gutter anything that size or bigger will rip the wire off and result in damage to the wing or roof, I have seen this several times. I will grant that they do often improve visability when going through soft bracken etc as they push it back further and keep the screen clear and also this wouldn't apply if they were fixed between a bullbar or tubed wing and a roll cage.

I may have been a bit OTT in the first post but I really don't like seeing them on road vehicles.

Been there done that, my 1st MOT the tester actually phoned VOSA and asked them about the tyres and they told him he had to pass it.

If it's just sticking out a little bit then you're unlikely to have any problems, as with anything if you're taking the p then you're going to get pulled, if you're sensible about it then everyone's happy.

For any mod like that (also the brush wires, winch anchor on front bumper, etc.) just ask yourself if you would be happy standing up in court with your hand on your heart and defending it after an accident.