Which locker in which axle

biggles

After a long chat with Nige today (we kept getting cut off!)

He is going to be pegging a couple of diff's for me, one is fitted with a McNamarra air locker other is an arb rd128, as iv'e finally settled on a ratio

of 3.5 ive got to choose which is going in the rear axle as r&p are front and rear, so question which would be the better for the rear? Nige recon's the mcnamarra as stronger than the arb should go in the rear but said to stick a question up on here to see if anyone has other ideas, ta for any help

Forgive the hijack but I'm considering a pair of lockers for my (2000) 110.

I've heard a lot of praise for the Ashcroft locker but they don't seem to do one for the Salisbury.

If that is the case is there anything wrong with mismatching lockers? (i.e. an Ashcroft in the front & a Detroit in the back)?

Forgive the hijack but I'm considering a pair of lockers for my (2000) 110.

I've heard a lot of praise for the Ashcroft locker but they don't seem to do one for the Salisbury.

If that is the case is there anything wrong with mismatching lockers? (i.e. an Ashcroft in the front & a Detroit in the back)?

You can still get a McNamara, ARB, TJM Pro-Locker (Jack Mc by another name) and Maxi Drive (again) for a Sals too.

I've driven Detroit's/No Spins and from what I've read and looked at I'd rather use a Kaiser locker if you don't want a selectable in the rear.

sorry for another hijack, but where would someone buy a McNamara diff in the UK, and whats the price like, looked up the website and links Scorpion, out of date I think

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=67529&category_id=254&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

Just a comment to promote a thought or three

If you only use the front locker when it gets really tough going would the stronger locker be better in the front?

It's also a bigger job to change/service a front locker more bits to find worn out as you strip the drive shafts out to remove the locker

Paul.

Just a comment to promote a thought or three

If you only use the front locker when it gets really tough going would the stronger locker be better in the front?

It's also a bigger job to change/service a front locker more bits to find worn out as you strip the drive shafts out to remove the locker

Paul.

You want the stronger in the back because thats what takes more load (weight) when you push the loud pedal.

If I am understanding this right

​With the center diff locked the front and rear prop shafts turn 1 to 1 ie equal so is there a torque difference front to rear or is it equal my understanding it would be equal, if this is equal the extra or difference in load to the front rear axle could only come from and equal and opposite reaction from the tires produced from the effect of traction ........

If I am understanding this right

​With the center diff locked the front and rear prop shafts turn 1 to 1 ie equal so is there a torque difference front to rear or is it equal my understanding it would be equal, if this is equal the extra or difference in load to the front rear axle could only come from and equal and opposite reaction from the tires produced from the effect of traction ........

The torque front-back is equal. Its the weight transfer/traction that is the problem :). more weight & traction = more LOAD on the components in the rear.