Workshop rent - what's the going rate?

FridgeFreezer

Due to impending house-moving I may have the "opportunity" to rent my shed out, but I don't really know if it's worth it and what demand is like.

It's 8m x 5m (40sq.m) with a 2.4m high roller shutter, so plenty of room to get a landy in and work on it. All the stuff I've seen online is mouldy little 1-car prefabs for £50pcm which doesn't really give much idea.

Would anyone have a clue what sort of rent I'd be likely to get? Is there any great demand for oversize lockups?

(And a bit cheeky - if anyone is interested, PM me!)

The alternative is to flat-pack it and take it with me!

Al - I'm actually moving up Basingstoke way if all goes to plan. Short term I can't take it with me as there's a brick-built one in the way, and it'll be very handy to keep my junk locked up in it anyway! Long term I may extend the brick one, and as I'm renting the old house out the opportunity is there to fence off the end of the garden and get more rent by renting the shed separately.

Hmmm, thanks for the info guys, £150pcm would certainly be a reasonable supplement to the rent. Must work on my best Rigsby impression...

Fridge,

Not knowing your set up, but have you got separate metered power to your garage? As if you rent it out to someone else you'll need to get that sorted. So you'll need to figue that into things as well, if not already done so.

Btw where abouts towards Basingstoke? I'm currently commuting there daily until June, when I've got to head back and do 'proper work'

Hmm, seems a bit much, I pay 300 PCM for 400 m sq with 3 phase, roller door and water. I'd take it with me fridge -wouldn't you miss having a garage? And after we laid all that concrete too! Where you off to?

Al

Thats bloody cheap. Thats 4306 sqft which works out to £1.20 per sqft. Thats bigger than our worshop of 3000sqft that costs £6.00 per sqft

I pay £120pcm for about 420 square feet indoor space (never measured exactly) plus a 24' x 9' lean-to, so about 19p per square foot overall. That includes power/water etc. but the building is on a bit of a slope. The heated toilets on site have got to be worth a fair chunk of that though!

Not sure if that's cheap or expensive but it suits me well!

I rent a large unit (mayby 6x20m, in its past life it was one of three HGV repair bays) with 3ph and water, I admit I have to share it with lots of obsolete machinery which just leaves me with enough space for truck and trailer, however I can't complain at £0pcm ^_^ Moochie moochie!