TDV8 - project ideas

So with one project finishing, I am looking to the next. (gotta do something with my weekends)

I want to do a proper off road challenge truck. I love the sound of the petrol v8's but I was thinking surely the range rover vogue engine, tdv8, might go nicely in a 90.

Has anyone thought of putting one/put one of these brutes into a defender 90 tray back?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-3-6-TDV8-ENGINE-COMPLETE-2011-VOGUE-SPORT-/280834179039?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4163057fdf

Is it possible or am I being daft (most probably)?

The question is why / what do you want it to do?

It's big, complicated, and develops so many torques it'll kill the rest of the drivetrain. It's got enough electronics that it doesn't have the waterproofing or simplicity advantage over a V8, and probably not a great MPG advantage either.

Yes anything's possible and it would be an interesting exercise but as a practical proposition in a challenge truck I'm not convinced. I'm not saying don't do it, just that I don't think it stacks up as a good fit for the application.

Mmm that's a cheap TDV8. I've toyed with the idea myself, but FF is right, it'll kill everything in your drivetrain twice.

MPG advantage on the other hand, I hear they get darn good MPG in a big RR (better than my **** TDi), so I imagine it can only be better in a lighter truck.

If I had the cash I'd try it myself, it can't be *that* hard to get running.

Sure the electronics may not be ideal for a challenge truck, but then again they said the same about the Td5.

Well I just wondered. I was looking at a Chevy 350ci or similar block anyway so was gonna have issues with the drivetrain- gonna take me years to put all the next one together but just thought - well why not....

Did worry about the level of electrickery up it. Didn't know if anyone had managed it.

The question is why / what do you want it to do?

It's big, complicated, and develops so many torques it'll kill the rest of the drivetrain. It's got enough electronics that it doesn't have the waterproofing or simplicity advantage over a V8, and probably not a great MPG advantage either.

Yes anything's possible and it would be an interesting exercise but as a practical proposition in a challenge truck I'm not convinced. I'm not saying don't do it, just that I don't think it stacks up as a good fit for the application.

I don't do challenge events, but is lack of horse power an actual issue for most competing vehicles??

Personally unless you are racing (comping) or doing some kind of US style mud bogging event where wheel spin is important, then I struggle to see where something like a stock Tdi isn't amble power for 95% of the off road obstacles you are likely to face.

Fridge! Where has your sense of adventure gone? Why does it have to have some great point or purpose - it still a cool project!

Even if the end result isn't what you hoped (generally speaking) you (I) get as much from the journey as from the destination. You always learn something useful, even if it was a stupid thing to do in the first place!

Go for it!

Si

Fridge! Where has your sense of adventure gone?

I never said don't do it, I said it might not be *practical* if that is what you're looking for. If you want to do it for the interest/learning experience/giggle then absolutely go for it.