DrRob

Was just thinking that's exactly the sort of thing they'd test.

Just bonding a pair of plates together with a ring welded to each would be sufficient, the problem would be measuring the force required to pull them apart. Need one of those force gauges that the Mythbusters guys used to test the phone books myth.

so to 8in square plates bonded together should be enough to lift 3500kg using fag packet maths and approximations..... what's rolling resistance in relation to weight? on a tarmac level surface ..... maybe we could all just glue our hitches on :)

One of the other advantages to the adhesives like this over some others (like the common epoxies) is that they are pretty viscous and are good at gap filling so they don't run when you are odd angles and they tolerate some variation in the bond line.

Hmmm ???

Reading this makes me wonder again

I have flat alli panels to fix to inch square alli tubes.

Now this is where the problem lies.

If I use Sicaflex or Tiger seal. I have to fit any over panels to the panels already fitted straight away. That might not be possible as it may be over a week before I can do the overpanel.

I have some 3M VHB tape. Now that is goox. Except for the price and it lets the panel sit proud of the tube....

So. I'm using pop rivits....How about paint as the "glue" ?

Hmmm ???

Reading this makes me wonder again

I have flat alli panels to fix to inch square alli tubes.

Now this is where the problem lies.

If I use Sicaflex or Tiger seal. I have to fit any over panels to the panels already fitted straight away. That might not be possible as it may be over a week before I can do the overpanel.

I have some 3M VHB tape. Now that is goox. Except for the price and it lets the panel sit proud of the tube....

So. I'm using pop rivits....How about paint as the "glue" ?

When I did the trailer I 'stuck' ali sheet to ali bar it went off to grip resistance within a the hour and I only needed to use one rivet to hold a panel that had a bend in it!!

I think when the makers refer to "going off" they mean chemically changed and cured not just able to grip, but to be able to take the fully specified load. A bit like when you paint a car, the paint can take days to 'go off' but it will be dry within a few hours, which then gives you time to repair any drips.

Jason.

Mike,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised, I only used the rivet to hold a flexing panel whilst I sealed around the frame, I guess it depends on the weight of the second panel etc but as above the tigerseal I used became pretty immovable after an hour and I was able to sit on it (15st +) after a couple of hours.

Jason.

One other property of PU adhesive that's been VERY useful to me over the years is that it's inert to pretty much anything you find on a vehicle including petrol. I've used it as a fuel proof gasket sealant/glue for fitting and sealing fuel senders, extra pickup/return pipes, vent pipes etc to the top of custom ali tanks. Try that with silicon and you end up with a lovely jelly in your fuel filters.

That's how I see the problem. It's immovable...How will it react to another panel being fitted later ?

Ah sorry Mike I think I understand now :blush: , so you want to remove and renew the panels not just stick other things over the top? If that is case then PU sealant is not going to be your friend, once its gone off you are into angle grinder world to remove it.

Jason.

That's how I see the problem. It's immovable...How will it react to another panel being fitted later ?

If i understand you are wanting to fix one panel to the ali tubes one week and then another panel to the first panel a week later? The fist will have gone off in that time, but as with all PU sealer adhesives there is a certain amount off give , how much depends on how thick you apply the sealant, so there will be a degree of flexibility when you come to fix the second panel.

My recent experiences with PU adhesives (Tigerseal in this case) has taught me one thing, that stuff, once cured is completely and utterly impossible to remove from anything. Stuck the rear floor down on my 110 with it then realsied that I'd left a ratchet and some other odds n sods in the crossmembers. The nice sheet of ali looked VERY second hand after I finally got it off....

What would people recommend then for sealing an ali floor into a Classic with the option of future removal as it looks like PU sealant is not the right stuff for the job I have in mind........

Cheers for the advice so far....Boot floor replacement mission plan:

My plan is to seal the new replacement floor supports (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-DISCOVERY-REAR-FLOOR-REPAIR-KIT-/320792133997?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab0b3816d) in with PU sealant and a few choice located bolts or rivets along their length. Should be as strong as weld and floor is non-structural as RR has separate chassis........ :glare:

The Ali floor will then be sealed in place with butyl mastic and rivetted - I can them remove in future with ease. Will also use butyl mastic to seal in the original front and rear rubber sealing strips for the Ali floor.

Comments gratefully received :D

My recent experiences with PU adhesives (Tigerseal in this case) has taught me one thing, that stuff, once cured is completely and utterly impossible to remove from anything. Stuck the rear floor down on my 110 with it then realsied that I'd left a ratchet and some other odds n sods in the crossmembers. The nice sheet of ali looked VERY second hand after I finally got it off....

Jeff, is there a humorous story to this like the others you've been able to type with the uninjured parts of your body?

Sikaflex is great stuff, sticks anything to anything! a chap who we used to know who built motorhomes used to use it a lot.

Wear gloves when using it though, it's a nightmare to get off skin, i even tried a belt sander, still didn't get it all off.