Paddocks Galvanised Shock Absorber Turrets - Any Thoughts?

I'm slowly getting around to swapping out the suspension on my 90 for all-new stuff. When I come to change the springs I'm going to replace the rusty shock turrets, has anybody had any experience of the galvanised shock absorber turrets that Paddocks are now selling?

http://www.paddockspares.com/shock-absorber-turret-galvanised.html

Are they up to scratch? You'd like to think it would be hard for them to get something like this wrong...but it wouldn't be a first in the Land Rover aftermarket parts world.

I know the best option would be to have some genuine ones galvanised, but these are significantly cheaper so thought they might be worth a shot. The rest of the suspension (springs, shocks, bushes) is all Genuine Land Rover.

Just fitted some on my 110 when I changed to a galvanised chassis. Do the job fine and certainly stronger than the corroded ones I took off. Seem to remember the holes didn't quite align perfectly but could also be to do with chassis and excess galv. etc. Anyway the turret rings fitted with nothing more than a little persuasion with land rover tool no.1!

Ditto to above. Don't expect perfection for a £1 more than standard one. These are standard ones dipped in a tank of dirty zinc at the end of the day I would think. They will do the job and hopefully last a bit longer than the non-galved version but they are really nothing special.

Fitted a set of these two weeks ago - basically the same as what Marks110 said above, they fit with a bit of podging. The turrets I took off were only 4 years old and were shot to pieces- the paint had given up and then held water behind it, looked like they had been at the bottom of the sea!

The galvanise is not the prettiest, and inside looked distinctly rough and slaggy, but I reckon that they have got to outlast the painted ones anyway so were worth a punt.

Also be aware that the larger dampers won't fit in the tubular ones. Trying out the cellular dynamic dampers on one 90 and had to go with the stock towers I'd galvanized vs the tubular ones that I'd ordered for the project due to clearance issues.

Also looking at same since my turrets have both cracked in half near the base, very interesting thwacking noise as i drive along.

Question - looking at it i can undo the turret take the ring off undo the shock absorber then feed the shock up thru wing and replace with new ring shocker and turret in the reverse manner. My springs are okay so I am not too fussed on changing this time.

is what I think is possible or have I missed a little point that will cause hours of pain and interesting language, advice appreciated

tony

As long as the nuts unscrew you're good; if the ones on the ring don't then they'll generally break which is nearly as good. The only time they're a pain to re-fit is if the brand of shock is pressurized and wants to keep expanding while you're trying to get everything back together.

I'm slowly getting around to swapping out the suspension on my 90 for all-new stuff. When I come to change the springs I'm going to replace the rusty shock turrets, has anybody had any experience of the galvanised shock absorber turrets that Paddocks are now selling?

http://www.paddocksp...galvanised.html

Are they up to scratch? You'd like to think it would be hard for them to get something like this wrong...but it wouldn't be a first in the Land Rover aftermarket parts world.

I know the best option would be to have some genuine ones galvanised, but these are significantly cheaper so thought they might be worth a shot. The rest of the suspension (springs, shocks, bushes) is all Genuine Land Rover.

Not sure why you think genuine LR would be best??

Have a look at Llama4x4, they do some nice strong turrets with or without relocation cones.

11inchfront.JPG