Snorkels (200tdi) - confused!

Decided the time has come for The Beastie to grow a snorkel but whilst finding lots of info I am now more confused than ever. Some say the 200tdi fittings are not as good as the 300tdi fittings so best to fit 300tdi (on driver's side) and then run pipe across to the airbox. Others suggest getting best possible brand but reading crits this does not necessarily guarantee happiness.

It is not that I plan doing loads of wading, more that I want to have optimal resilience. It is probably also worth saying that the idea of doing machine work is almost certainly beyond me otherwise Southdown through the top of the wing does look very good option. I am not averse to the concept of DIY but strikes me a lot potentially at risk if you think it is watertight but isnt!

Any suggestions would be really useful as I have been contemplating this for ages!

Thanks and best wishes

Malcolm

Hello, I've never heard of a quality issue between a 200 and a 300, but you can get the same type snorkles fitting up for eaither side. What you need to look for is a more "snorkle" type kit as opposed to a "raised air intake" - off the sheft kits that I have seen all have been a bit damp squid, you will always have to do a bit of home modification to make an air intake fully sealed for proper wadeing, i think there is a good link in the tech archive of someone who has written a guide on how to make your snorkle properly watertight, i.e. you should be able to stall your engine by blocking it off.

At the end of the day its down to what sealand compound you use and how carefully you fit it. some ABS plastic snorkles are I think more designed to be raised intakes (for dust etc) so they are not so easy to get a proper water tight seal to the wing etc. the type that pop through the wing (aka southdown stylee) are much more designed for wadeing thus cut out all the wing to wing seals etc...

Mav

I think that the quality issue to which you refer is the difference in sealing style between the 200tdi and 300tdi Safari Snorkel. On the 200tdi variant the snorkel merely seals to the wing of the defender on the outside and relies on the factory air piping moulding that goes to the air filter. This is less than ideal in that it is impossible to ensure that this set up with all it's joint will not leak, and even the smallest bash to the wing can break the seal to the snorkel. On the 300tdi variant, they designed the snorkel to have a moulded circular internal diameter that pokes through the wing vent hole, so that a custom pipe can be securely jubilee clipped onto it and routed directly to the air filter. This is possible due to the increased space available on the RHS underwing of the 300tdi, on the 200 the heater installation precludes this. I have also looked at possible gold-standard solutions to fitting a water-tight snorkel to the 200tdi, and the best bet to my eye looks to be a southdown snorkel with a single pipe that connects from it to the (sealed up) air filter canister.

Sorry to jump in on someone else's thread but....

Ross, Ive seen you talk about your snorkel set up on quite a few threads, do you have any pics of it? (Ive looked through your thread and cant see any of inside the engine bay)

I'm afraid I don't. But I will endevour to describe it! My truck is a bit of a mish-mash under the bonnet... no idea where some things are on a standard truck, as mine has a disco 200 in it.

Its a safari, so has the little pipe stub from which the snorkel is piped to the airbox which is situated parallel to the engine on the LH side (looking from the front). From there it is piped round the front of the engine IIRC to the turbo. I will try and get a picture tomorrow if the rain behaves!

Cheers Ross,

Mish mash?... try a Mazda engine haha

Thanks for the piccy in advance, Ive got a safari 300tdi snorkel with the Mazda air intake on Right hand side similar to yours, so same issues!

Sorry again Malcom for the thread hijack

Thanks Ross

I see you braved the rain for me! :D

Similar to how Im going to have too situate mine I think but I have a ruddy big viscous fan at the front of my engine to avoid!

Have you fixed the filter housing in place or just left it unsupported?

Has anyone got any recommendations as to which filter housing to use for avoiding water ingress?

Mine is battered, loose fitting, and would let small furry mammals in let alone water so needs replacing I think!

Thanks again

Mark

Can't speak for Ross's but as mine was a V8 petrol prior to conversion it already had the entry on the O/S.

However if you do splash out on the genuine Safari snorkel then the kit comes with a template to aid in the cutting and drilling

Can't speak for Ross's but as mine was a V8 petrol prior to conversion it already had the entry on the O/S.

However if you do splash out on the genuine Safari snorkel then the kit comes with a template to aid in the cutting and drilling

your RH wing side panel can't be the original panel, petrol engined 90/110 didn't have sude air intakes only the Turbo charged diesel have it, including TD,Tdi,Td5 & Tdci.

• 6 months later...

Well in between rain showers I spent a couple of hours fitting the snorkel today :)

post-14851-0-88883600-1338835578_thumb.jpg

Not a bad effort me thinks and as Ross said it was pretty straight forward to pipe from the left to the right side.

Hi, i'm going to be doing this to my defender soon. just writting up a list of what i need. where did you buy that flexi hose from? (the really long one from the snorkel to the air box)

Good shot of my set-up

DSC_0570.jpg

200tdi Discovery Engine

300tdi Turbo and Manifold

2.5TD Airbox - Plumbed around the back to the turbo

300Tdi Safari Snorkle

Oooo nice. How did you get your dipstick pointing forward? I tried to do this on my disco 200tdi but it doesnt look possible with all the bends? Original dipstick or did you put some new bends into it?

Adapter? I pushed mine straight into the hole in the block till it wont go any further. Filled it with the measured maximum amount of oil and it was spot on max :) At least thats how I remember it.....

Jad

Yeah mine was different, the bottom didn't seem right, had no form of seal, did it a while ago so can't remember exactly why it didn't work...maybe I got sent the wrong part or something.

Current set-up works so I'll just keep with it for now...till something breaks then I'll give it another whirl.