performace intercooler.

hello all. :)

soon i want to fit a huge inter cooler and a new radiator. i was wondering whats the best way to go about it? i dont want to spend £400 at alisport, i was thinking of getting a slim full width radiator and the inter cooler can be much wider. after a quick measure i have (roughly) 74cmx40cmx7inches to play with. sorry for mixed measurements i don't like metric. :rolleyes: and both inlet and outlet ideally need be on the passenger side because of space for pipes. it there a vehicle that i can find on a scrappy that will have these to items? or am i searching ebay for something like this?

soon when/if i can find someone, i'll get the fuel pump and turbo tweaked. :D by no means am i after a dragster just as much cheap hp as possible. :i-m_so_happy:

I have one of these intercoolers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-200-300-TDI-performance-intercooler-full-width-/300724608807?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4604955f27#ht_500wt_1374

It made little difference to my performance with higher boost a fuel pump tweaked. although my 200di genuine defender engine has now decided its rings r shot so maybe down to the engine being poorly...

Apparently the intercooler in the link is a cheap copy of alisport intercoolers made by a guy a few years back. The owner of Allisport said these intercoolers have 'interesting' internal design although he would not elaborate on this...

I think the saying is 'you get what you pay for'. I bought one of these intercoolers cheap n now i may regret it. The original one seemed just as good if not better!

Food for thought for you.

Bear.

although it looks good, i can help but think i could fit a bigger one? or is this enought? would the one i suggested be an over kill? or is it the case of the bigger the better? :blink:

From personal experience you will not fit a physically bigger intercooler than the one in the eBay link. Mines the same and only just fitted to a defender and i had to remove the primary and secondary bonnet catches and use bonnet pins mounted off the top plate of the rad to fasten.

Bear.

I guess fitting a TD5 intercooler would be made easier by moving the normal tdi radiator to a more central position, then using an electric fan instead of a viscous to make room to route the pipework back behind the rad.

bear, dont buy it because its rubbish and buy it because thats all that will fit.. :blink: :blink: blime me. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. :hysterical: i hear what you are saying but the one i posted is slightly smaller the the allisport one and plus had inlet/outlet on the same side which should make installation easier i thought?

reb78, theirs no point in moving the original, half of its missing! :rolleyes: and with a harder working engine, i was going to upgrade to a td5 rad as its bigger yet slimmer. :) would i see much performance improvement with a td5?

anyway, who said im afraid of a challenge? :ph34r:

Can you move that full width rad that far over to the drivers side, without a steering box cometing for spacee, that you can fit intercooler pipework on the opposite side?

I've got a TD radiator, so full width, but because of the steering box (P38 type) I had to push the rad WAY to the passenger side. It sits right on top of the chassis rail. Series and Defender inner wings are different though, perhaps that makes all the difference...

I've got a saab 9000 intercooler in front of the TD rad. Big surface area with low volume, should work very well

IMG_8793.jpg

It sits so far to the passenger side that the pipework goes through the wing.. The other side is a perfect fit, hose wise..

IMG_8792.jpg

dont forget - the bigger the intercooler the more turbo lag you will get. pressurising that much air in the intake system is not the most efficient thing in the world and might make your truck feel unresponsive to the loud pedal.

ps, standard td5 intercooler has no more surface area or volume to a normal tdi i/c and the pipework routing is a 'mare.

That saab 9000 intercooler looks a nice fit, have you used the truck since fitting it? or is it a new addition with the current re-build?

It's part of the re-build. So is the turbo. It used to be NA, so it will be a HUGE difference.. I'm getting very curious as to how this will drive. Quick I guess, very quick...

dont forget - the bigger the intercooler the more turbo lag you will get. pressurising that much air in the intake system is not the most efficient thing in the world and might make your truck feel unresponsive to the loud pedal.

Hence the large surface area/low volume attractivemess.. Also, when fitting a bigger intercooler you'd be wise to up the fuel as well. That will probably compensate for any lag that might be created with a larger IC. I guess..