'Grip' - Extreme 4x4 Racing

Fed up of people banging on about how V8's are faster than your 300tdi? or do you think them 4 cylinders need one more to up the power to a Td5? Want to settle it once and for all?

'Grip' will be a Head to Head Race between anything with 4 wheels across off road terrain.

The racing will be on 2 tracks with a cross over section meaning there is no waiting behind the 1st truck as they are stuck and pussy footing about. Its foot down, hold on and brown pants moment racing!

Unlike British Dirt this will be suitable for all trucks although if you think it’s just over grass think again!!! Jumps, water, mud, dirt, sand, rocks will all be in the mix. 1st Low will keep your truck safe if that’s what you want, although the medals won’t be going home with you if that’s your driving style.

This will be held at Tixover or Yarwell quarry (dates to be sorted) Who will be interested in settling what is the best power plant? V8, Td5, Tdi or even a rover Turbo?

Morning all,

I am currently trying to get up a 'British Drt' style event slightly more North and for more people called 'Grip'.

Pease follow this link to the Facebok page to have a read and add comments. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/353781851355324/

Hope to see you all there.

Jumps, water, mud, dirt, sand, rocks will all be in the mix.

So this isn't actually going to prove bu**er all as people's tyres and suspension will make as much difference as power output. Sounds like a great opportunity for meaningless willy waggling unfortunately :ph34r:

Running a 4x4 dyno day would be slightly more meaningful but nowhere near as entertaining.

Yes I was being serious, as the tone of the original post made it sound exactly that:

Fed up of people banging on about how V8's are faster than your 300tdi? or do you think them 4 cylinders need one more to up the power to a Td5? Want to settle it once and for all?

As for having a laugh - I'd be quite curious to enter the Freelander as it's probably nippier than most "real" land rovers, but I'm b***ered if I'm going to launch my daily driver off a ramp.

No mention of rules & regs, I assume if you're racing you'll be needing MSA-spec cages and whatnot?

• 2 weeks later...

Plans are coming along nicely now. We have 3 sponsors for the event with some good prizes (not just a strop for 1st place) Looking for some more still but looking good at the moment.

Dates are still up in the air due to trying to time the event with when the sites are free and so it doesnt clash witrh anything else, but the tracks are planned and they are looking wicked! Some challenging sections for the standard class, some rather large jumps for the Racers and if you are thinking 'my truck is the rubbish, i dont need a winch' think again.... (now where to find an old skip.... ? :P )

Hope to see you all there!

Keep an eye on the Facebook page for more info.

Pete

If the rules are open to anything with 4 wheels it should be possible to enter a motorcross bike with a pair of stabilisers on it.

On rough terrain as suggested and with a good rider that should be able to beat just about any traditional 4 wheel drive!.

If the rules are open to anything with 4 wheels it should be possible to enter a motorcross bike with a pair of stabilisers on it.

On rough terrain as suggested and with a good rider that should be able to beat just about any traditional 4 wheel drive!.

Except wading, or deep mud. ;)

I hope you have given thought to safety services,recovery & incident management, crowd/spectator control, marshalls, risk assessments & public liability insurance, all will have to be considered & possibly a MSA event permit

As Ralph says, I'm also quite interested to hear your plans for Rules & Regs, Permits, Rescue, Recovery, Marshals etc.. There's an awful lot more to organising these events than just setting out the track then standing at the gate collecting pound notes.

Don't worry Pete will of course run the event properly, don't shoot him down just yet! He has helped me with MSA events before, not saying this will neccesserily be an MSA event, but he does know what is involved :-)

I'm sure full rules and regs will be posted when everything is set.

daveturnbull - I know Pete and can most assure you that 'collecting pound notes at the gate' is not Petes intention in trying to set up this event. The suggestion that this is an event being conceived soley for profit is both ridiculous, unhelpful and wholey inacurate.

Tom