OT :) Tractors and Steam Engines

Mo Murphy

I find myself curiously drawn to these wonderful creations at county shows and the like these days. Am I alone ? Do you have one in addition to your Landy ? :)

Mo

Not Yet!!! but I am tractor mad! I'm 26 with a 6 year olds enthusiasum for all things tractor. Hope to be the owner of a fegie sooner rather than later.

I have to confess that I have the bits to build a steam engine (although I havn't actually started yet) and the project before my 2a was a Perkins P3 engined Fergusson TE20 with a front loader....

However, I wouldn't consider myself a tractor or steam enthusiast, more of an engineering enthusiast....

Mark

Im a farm boy, its compulsory

I do enjoy seeing the old timers at the shows sat on deck chairs next to an old stationary engine chugging away at about 60rpm :)

and of course theres "The Godfather" (hallowed be the name of Dibnah god rest his soul)

I have a 1951 Dragon in a garage out on Dad's farm. Though it hasn't been out for about 15 years :unsure:

I have a 1956 dragon ………. but she’s out today. :D

Mo: this thread is just sooooooooooooooo tempting …… :rolleyes:

I suppose it figures that you LR diesel folk would like tractors ……….. you’ll be putting up a post soon about the historic fat fryers in chip shops :ph34r:

Ian

I worked on a farm for a couple of years and spent many an hour in modern farm machinery. However I learned to drive on a TE20 and have a longing to refurbish one once I get a proper size workshop and a SWMBO with less objective views. :huh::huh:

I too have spent many hours at old time pioneer festivals mesmerised by the workings of old farm machinary and tractors. My main interest tractorwise would be to see some of the early post war 4x4 conversions to 4x2 tractors performed by Roadless Traction Limited, the same company that did the Forest Rover conversions.Unfortunately few if any ever made it to Australia.

Bill.

I suppose it figures that you LR diesel folk would like tractors ……….. you’ll be putting up a post soon about the historic fat fryers in chip shops :ph34r:

Thats Isuzu thanks Ian designed at the end of the 20th century as opposed to the beginings of the 17th century.. :D

two words.......................

deep

water

:lol:

There used to be a time that I was interested in steam trains, Still kind of like them. However, I recently was driving on the A14 and was held up by a steam tractor with 2 trailers doing 3 MPH. What the heck was he thinking?

Daan

At one stage I crazed about getting an old tractor (but a motorbike won out in the end!!), probably a Fordson Standard, although I've always thaught Nuffields have been pleasant to look at. I was up at an auction the other month and the prices Massey-Furguson 135's go at are unbelievable!! Especially the just-been-blinged ones. I work on modern John Deeres and one or two of the places round us run 135's etc and IIRC a Grey Fergie and I like getting to work on them...No common rail Diesel systems or can-busses!!

A friend of mine runs a Massey 135, Massey 165, a John Deere 2130, John Deere 2140, Nuffield Universal 4. They are all in original condition except one and get used fairly often. Which is always nice to see. IMHO.

James.

Even the Britains 1;36 models MF135 `s fetch up to £70 on ebay , Im gutted I had a hole box of these models in a cupboard for years But my luvly wife thought it would be nice to let my 3 year old son have them to play with and yes they lasted 20 minutes . BAAGGHHHH!!!

I had three 135`s in that box along with Ford 3000 , MF595, Deutz, and a rare Corgi David Brown 1212 .

**** Happens though.

have a Fiat 550 in the shed (no no, not a bambino, a bloody tractor... :P ) and gets used reasonably regularly. 55HP 3.1 litre direct injection from the late sixties/early seventies. Uses CAV injection to keep you Poms happy.

About the same size as a mates Fordson Power Major, but nicer, 'cause it's orange :D

After using it he kept muttering "geez that's a nice tractor...." but I told him to sod off and fix his Fordson. Bloody mates, if it's not your girl or your Landy it's your tractor they lust after.... :lol: