Stripped thread!

Hi folks,

Doh!!!! I have stripped the thread on my sump pan.I have replaced the plug,but it still wont tighten up properly, so my question is.

Do I need a new sump pan,or is there something I can do to seal it?

I thought about thread lock or something like that????

^^ seconded! Whats the engine? The other option would be to put the bolt in and weld it in on the inside, then drill a new hole and weld in a new boss, maybe in a more user-friendly location!

It's a 300tdi.

If I don't have any luck finding a replacement,I'll probably go this route.

You can weld the sump plug in if you have one of those kits to suck the oil out of the dipstick hole. All these cheepo 'service' places don't take out the sump plugs (the gorillas that work there will either cross-thread or strip the plug) so they cheat. Oh, and Land Rover stealersâ„¢ also have a history of stripping sump plugs.

You can weld the sump plug in if you have one of those kits to suck the oil out of the dipstick hole. All these cheepo 'service' places don't take out the sump plugs (the gorillas that work there will either cross-thread or strip the plug) so they cheat. Oh, and Land Rover stealersâ„¢ also have a history of stripping sump plugs.

How strange. Iv never heard of that. I would rather let it all drain out over night tho.

I actually found the suckey things get more oil out than the drain plug! The plug boss is not as close to the bottom as the tube it sucks through.

I have a Sealy air powered (venturi) suckey thing and it's fab. It means you can change the oil without spilling a drop, nor ending up covered in oil when you mis-judge how far it's going to squirt out the hole! ;)

In Japanese fuel stations they have oil change vending machines which suck the oil out then replace it through the dipstick with the same volume of oil. It means you can change the oil whenever you like while you have a cup of coffee! I wish we had the same things here!

Si

Now if only they could change the filter without spilling a drop......... ;)

If you loosen the filter, then unscrew it inside a plastic bag - all the oil ends up in the bag!

I think the theory in Japan is that if you change the oil often enough, you don't need to change the filter very often.

Same works for fuel filters.

Si

I have one of these fitted. So, so much better than the drain plug, no more hot enging oil up your armpit.

http://shop.difflock.com/-c-4.html?osCsid=6b905faf2cebf83fefe6962a52eefe25

The 300Tdi is well known I'm told for stripping the piece in the sump that holds the drain plug

Si. You did say "all the oil ends up in the bag" Just sometimes, just sometimes. I'm always thrilled when I do the oil filter and don't spill any oil.

One day maybe I'll get round to fitting a remote oil filter.

If you are careful, like when you've just had a new concrete drive laid and any oil spillage is going to cause angst - it is perfectly possible to do without spilling a drop.

Top tip - don't use supermarket shopping bags, they have holes in the bottom! :o

I use an A4 Zip-seal bag. Then you can zip it closed & it stays contained.

Si

I have one of these fitted. So, so much better than the drain plug, no more hot enging oil up your armpit.

http://shop.difflock...fe6962a52eefe25

The 300Tdi is well known I'm told for stripping the piece in the sump that holds the drain plug

Si. You did say "all the oil ends up in the bag" Just sometimes, just sometimes. I'm always thrilled when I do the oil filter and don't spill any oil.

One day maybe I'll get round to fitting a remote oil filter.

How does that Diflock drain plug work then....Why is it better than a standard one???

If you loosen the filter, then unscrew it inside a plastic bag - all the oil ends up in the bag!

I think the theory in Japan is that if you change the oil often enough, you don't need to change the filter very often.

Same works for fuel filters.

Si

OMG genius... I hate it when I don't think of things like that!!!

They are fantastic.....I got one last year and i can fill numerous 2 litre coke bottles and chuck them in the bin here in the darkest, remotest, foreign countries.

oh and the bag filter thing works super with foreign bags as they don't care about children and lack of air....no holes here....I can import them for a small fee. I use three bags as once my oil was a bit hot and melted the bags. Now i only idle the engine till warm. I wonder if Durex would make some for Land Rovers.....