Bench seats not insured....

Diablo

It'll be the start of a string of companies that will do this though, they all follow suit, which will give us less choice.

I wonder how many peoples policies actually don't cover side facing seats and tehy don't know that? I'm sure there must be others?

How do buses get insurance, most buses have some side facing seats, and nobody is wearing a seatbelt,

different insurance for public service vehicles they have millions of pounds cover under public liability insurance as well as road vehicle insurance.

'they present a unacceptable risk for bodily injury'.

This probably explains everything. You have to think about hitting a car or a truck at 70MPH, whether you want to hit it head on or sideways. Sitting sideways is about the same being t-boned at 70MPH.

So, if the insurers dont want to take this risk, ask yourself if you want to put your family at risk in this way?

There are plenty of options from aftermarket suppliers to fit forward facing seats in the back of your landrover, so its not the end of driving a defender I think.

My 2p.

Daan

This probably explains everything. You have to think about hitting a car or a truck at 70MPH, whether you want to hit it head on or sideways. Sitting sideways is about the same being t-boned at 70MPH.

So, if the insurers dont want to take this risk, ask yourself if you want to put your family at risk in this way?

There are plenty of options from aftermarket suppliers to fit forward facing seats in the back of your landrover, so its not the end of driving a defender I think.

My 2p.

Daan

Pity you can't insure them for use below a certain speed, friend of mine only uses the bench seat to ferry beaters around at a local pheasant shoot so probably less than 30mph when on the road.

But no more options for 6/7 seat SWB defenders/series :(

Agree about the injury side of things, I would only carry someone if they were responsible for their own actions in the back!

My 2p.

Daan

yes, BUT, most insurers see them as a MODIFICATION, then watch your premium rocket, ask me how I know this, bottom line appears to be that insurers are a bunch of thieves.

On a previous topic it was commented that the advice (Gov) with LR bench seats is not to fit belts as the forces are not in the correct plane and therefore unsafe?

This can't help, either no belts or belts causing injury themselves?

Marc.