Steering Damper - Recomendations please

Hybrid_From_Hell

Ok all,

I have been a "Off Roading " today, marshalling at a mini challenge event, and I got very very stuck (may have very emabarrasing vid later :P) and manged to destroy my steering damper....... even with a MJL Guard !

Had a rummage in the shed, the others I have are worse than scabby, ....so its buy one time :(

So,...........

Make and model etc, and 'gas' vs 'oil'

Whats the best steering damper for say the 90 .....and why ?

Nige

Ok all,

I have been a "Off Roading " today, marshalling at a mini challenge event, and I got very very stuck (may have very emabarrasing vid later :P) and manged to destroy my steering damper....... even with a MJL Guard !

Had a rummage in the shed, the others I have are worse than scabby, ....so its buy one time :(

So,...........

Make and model etc, and 'gas' vs 'oil'

Whats the best steering damper for say the 90 .....and why ?

Nige

Take it off & fit a hyraulic Ram :D

I bought an el cheapo Armstrong steering damper yesterday (£16) as i'm changing from the Range Rover setup under the diff to a defender setup at the chassis in front of the axle. I put an Armstrong steering damper on the vehicle about 9 months ago and is still in perefect working order (just a bit battered :rolleyes: )

Guest diesel_jim

I fitted an OME damper to my project90.

my Td5 110 and the other 90 both have standard cheapie LR genuine ones, and to be honest, you can't tell them apart. they all feel the same either gas or oil.

and if the steering gear is all setup properly (swivel preload, balljoints etc) you shouldn't really need one.

I'd recommend the one I have, it is a defender, black, new and unused, can't remember brand - could be LR - but I bought it thinking it would fit a series but it didn't.

Like a canary, it is going cheap £ 10 + postage to get rid off it. Will get a piccy and dims if ya want first dibs.

Another vote for Bilstein - in a moment of rash overspending I put one on the Rangie a couple of years ago (mainly cause it was very shiny and yellow... :blush: ), and it's great. Can't help thinking that one of the less expensive gas filled jobbies might do just as good job, though - Pro Comp or De Carbon maybe.

i got el-cheapo on my disco, run without one for a bit as it destroyed the old one & didnt notice any difference on tarmac. bit more steering kick off road without one though.

i dont see the point of a gas one. as i understand it they use gas cause the oil boils in shox. i cant see the steering moving enough to cook the oil?