Petrol or Diesel for horsey towing?

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a 90 and have seen one in great condition, but it is a petrol and I have heard that this may not be great for towing horses and actually moving at any great speed.

Please could you all have a look at the link and let me know your thoughts?

http://www.walton-motors.co.uk/land-rover-defender-90-25-petrol-station-wagon-only-97000-in-cranliegh-surrey-2372894

Chassis great, interior great. Test drive - it moved (sorry, not an expert)

Cheers,

Ross

If I was you I would get a trailer for towing horses and put them in it, it may be easier than towing them with a 90...... :hysterical:

Most people will have there personal preference, but I would say Diesel engines have more low down torque for their CC.

Jason.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

It's a well known fact that a 90 is better for towing than a 110 due to the shorter distance from the tow bar to the rear axle.

Diesel would be much better, not only because its got the low down power that you need to smoothly drive with livestock in a trailer, but because of the spares availability.

(Im a farmer regularly transporting cattle and my family's horses around)

Diesel I think, for economy and low-down power. We towed a double horse box for years with a Nissan LD28 powered 90 and it really pitched up and down because of the short wheelbase, but the motor was smooth. The 110 has been much nicer to tow with given the extra wheelbase, and the V8 Disco tows very nicley but is expensive to run.

I'm sorry but 90's are better for towing than long wheel base versions, I tow every day woodchippers (not little baby ones) and a 16ft ifor and the 110 is fine but a 'pita' to manoeuvre into places and the 130 is just a joke! The 90 is unbeatable on manoeuvrability and they don't get pushed about by the weight any more than a 110, it's a little thing called trailer brakes that work properly? If you want a cheaper alternative buy a tdi disco, they're pretty good at towing too and you can hear the radio!

Well I prefer a 110 for towing, even though the 90 has better lock for parking etc. I just find the 110 more stable and comfortable at speed. So we all agree to disagree on wheelbase, but the best engine is definately a diesel. I used to tow with a petrol and it was hopeless compared to my 200Tdi.

Welcome to the forum! I had a 110 2.5 l petrol and it was a noisy, gutless wonder! Went diesel quickly. V8+LPG is also an option but even running gas the wallet takes repeated and (in my view unnecessary) hammerings.

In all seriousness, make sure you test drive a few. Personally I think the question of what tows better (90, 110) is largely moot. I happen to think a 110 is more comfortable on the road because of the longer wheelbase (less 'hobby horsing'). True, a 90 because of its shorter length might be 'easier' to reverse in a tight space but having reversed horse boxes with both I don't there's that much in it. What it comes down to in the end is how much space you need in the truck - a 90 is not great for rear passengers, even with expensive forward-facing rear seats.

The other reason to test drive a few is because a Defender is not like a normal car - it lacks creature comforts most people would miss and the driving position and ergonomics are very marmite-esque (love it or hate it). Test drive a discovery too, you'll see what I mean - same towing ability (and a wheelbase midway between a 90 and a 110).

Matt

Hi Ross,

I would suggest a diesel. That said, any Land Rover can tow, it's about the gearbox and 4x4. I would also look for a later model as disc brakes all round would be a plus!

Just for your info, go an look at any Defender in the wet, the one in the link you sent had loads of condensation in it which suggests a bit of water ingress.

I had to laugh when I read your comments about driving a Defender! I adore mine, had her six weeks and she's fan-bleeding-tastic. I can't wait for the snow!

Cheers,

Mike

90's easier to manoeuvre [sp?] due to better turning circle, 110's provide a less choppy ride in terms of vehicle & trailer. Diesel will give you better low down grunt.

Ally V8 talks sense, an auto takes all the effort out of providing smooth acceleration and trickling power if you have to shunt a trailer around.

Thanks.

Still looking about and defo going Diesel/90. Looked at one this morning that was 1996 107,000 300tdi for £5,995.

A bit more than I was hoping to spend, but will for the right one. Condition was good above and below. Does the price look ok?

It was with 'Countrwide 4x4' in Uckfield anyone had any dealings?

R.

For that money I'd hope for 4 matching tyres, a rear view mirror and a pin in the tow hitch.

It looks a nice motor but contrary to popular opinion you can actually polish a turd so it's very easy to get fooled by shiny paint work in pictures. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this one (it does look very clean) but it's almost impossible to tell from pictures and a dealer description what the vehicle is really like.

What sort of towing will you be doing?

Short tows on A/B-roads, or long-distance stuff on motorways?

If you're going to be regularly towing 300+ miles on motorways then if your choice is a Defender you need to budget for some good noise-cancelling ear-defenders. I've done numerous round turn trips Reading to Perth and back flat-out at 70-75MPH in a 300TDi 90 while hauling a 2.5-ton trailer and it's emphatically not-fun. The automatic petrol Disco V8 was much better, as was a V8 Toyota Land-Cruiser Amazon.

However when it comes to reversing a trailer into a small space, my 90TD5 was unbeatable - stick it in low-ratio and you can creep backwards into narrow gaps with spectacular accuracy.

Thank you Mr Wabbit, you have clearly massively scrutinised the pictures and I thank you for that. I had a look this morning and clambered about and went underneath and tapped and prodded and all (to my limited eye) seemed ok. I looked at the swivels and the UJ's and the fluids, the chassis and the suspension, the doors, the engine compartment, the bulkhead (all with a limited, but ever-increasing eye). If I pursue, I would like to take someone who knows more about these machines thank I do. My bro (Madcowz) has sadly moved to Scotland so I can't ask him. The rear view mirror was there, but in the dash. The tyres and the pin, I had not noted.

Thank you again for your help.

It's far easier to be critical of a car when you aren't the one who is buying it, if you are the one who has been searching and wanting it's very easy to get taken over by the excitement of it and miss things ..... I missed loads when buying mine :( But everything is fixable.

Also worth pointing out to check the engine number, vin plate and the chassis stamped vin, a lot of Defenders get stolen and you don't want to end up getting your new toy taken away from you.

When looking at the chassis don't forget that underseal/schutz as well as protecting the chassis may also be hiding a multitude of sins. It looks like the one in the advert has had a replacement rear cross member at some point which isn't unusual at the age it's at.

For that money I'd hope for 4 matching tyres, a rear view mirror and a pin in the tow hitch.

...you can actually polish a turd...

Just depends how much sh*t you want to get on your hands. ;)

I'd second these comments and add that you are buying it from a dealer, you have some protection.

What sort of towing will you be doing?

Short tows on A/B-roads, or long-distance stuff on motorways?

If you're going to be regularly towing 300+ miles on motorways then if your choice is a Defender you need to budget for some good noise-cancelling ear-defenders. I've done numerous round turn trips Reading to Perth and back flat-out at 70-75MPH in a 300TDi 90 while hauling a 2.5-ton trailer and it's emphatically not-fun. The automatic petrol Disco V8 was much better, as was a V8 Toyota Land-Cruiser Amazon.

However when it comes to reversing a trailer into a small space, my 90TD5 was unbeatable - stick it in low-ratio and you can creep backwards into narrow gaps with spectacular accuracy.

It will be short distances with the dobbin. At the mo, nothing predicted beyond a 10-15 mile radius, unless my other half manages to turn her lumpy, hairy cart-horse into a show-winner!...