Protecting Synthetic Winch Line ?

tuko

With winter closely approaching I'm wondering how do others protect their synthetic winch lines during the winter months? We've already had frost coupled with all the rain lately, I'm worried that the ice on or in the winch line will break it down.

Therefore I'm looking for solutions that'll protect the winch line.

Todd.

With winter closely approaching I'm wondering how do others protect their synthetic winch lines during the winter months? We've already had frost coupled with all the rain lately, I'm worried that the ice on or in the winch line will break it down.

Therefore I'm looking for solutions that'll protect the winch line.

Todd.

Should be fine without, what you should be concerned with are oil/chemical contamination and to a certain extend UV exposure. I doubt (but prepared to be proven wrong) that temperature and water will effect it. Yes if you can avoid getting it salty that helps, but we've been using fibre ropes on winches for subsea recovery operations, and one of the methods that slightly decreases the lifespan is the salt crystals being abrasive in the rope itself when its dried out. - but you;re talking repetative bending cycles over 10 or so sheaves (its a capstan type winch - with heave compensation). you;re not going to be seeing a duty cyle anythin glike that on a recovery winch rope...

Mav

Sorry Guys,

some how while posting with my cell phone yesterday I made a double post. Don't have the slightest how this happened, but can one of the moderators combine the two threads please.

Cheers,

Todd.

Better to spool them on under load. Or else the wraps tighten on the outside sliding down between the others and getting stuck.

Doesn't take long to spool in a rope under tension though.

My ropes come off after every weekend to get washed. (currently drying ready for next event).

G

I think covers are a mixed blessing.

Although you can keep the winch away from the winter salt, as well as give UV protection, it will be damp under there, which will make any unpainted bits go red :-)

For synthetic I'd say remove it if you don't need it on.

I'm one of the heathens apparently, as I prefer to use wire (I don't do comps etc). However last winter's salt rotted my cable, but at £20 for a replacement....

I keep a spare or two in the garage anyway.