Anyone ever had a problem fitting timing chains rv8

mikec

Just tried fitting my cloyes timing chain and it won't go on its quite a way out...

328BCCB8-678F-457C-BF17-EAB8A203B21D-25996-00001B9128E465BD.jpg

Plus the end of the cam is smaller diameter do its got to stretch further up than in the pic! An I missing something? If I fit this somehow surely its gonna wear the front cam bearing prematurely?

Is the bottome gear all the way home ?

You need to slide them on at the same time.

On another note - you have a 4.6 p38 engine don't you ? Have you (well actually you probably haven't yet as it's not fitted)..... I'll rephrase, once you've got this new timing chain on, check to see if it doesn't touch the timing cover. Mine did.

Gordon

Is the bottome gear all the way home ?

You need to slide them on at the same time.

On another note - you have a 4.6 p38 engine don't you ? Have you (well actually you probably haven't yet as it's not fitted)..... I'll rephrase, once you've got this new timing chain on, check to see if it doesn't touch the timing cover. Mine did.

Gordon

Yeah there going on at the same time. I've emailed the seller so i guess ill find out, mistakes can be made, hopefully they will sort it.

Yep it's a 4.6 but its having an intermediate front cover too so shouldn't be a problem :) I say shouldn't the everything else is going I'm sure they'll be some issue!

Fair enough. For comparison here is mine fitted to a 4.2 non serp. Slightly older than yours.

I have a seperate 4.6 engine that i just used a normal chain on but new cam from v8tuner.

23760_343383509881_4550850_n.jpg

G

Fair enough. For comparison here is mine fitted to a 4.2 non serp. Slightly older than yours.

I have a seperate 4.6 engine that i just used a normal chain on but new cam from v8tuner.

23760_343383509881_4550850_n.jpg

G

Is that a recent pic? Just thinking of maybe comparing links or something?

Interesting to hear what could be the cause. I've had the exact opposite problem when rebuilding my 4.6 (GEMS): I tried several new chains and gears, both aftermarket and genuine, including some mix-and-match combos, but couldn't find one that was as tight as I would have wanted. Never found the cause.

Filip

Interesting to hear what could be the cause. I've had the exact opposite problem when rebuilding my 4.6 (GEMS): I tried several new chains and gears, both aftermarket and genuine, including some mix-and-match combos, but couldn't find one that was as tight as I would have wanted. Never found the cause.

Filip

How slack were they? As they are supposed to be fairly slack

Are the centres, between crank and the cam the same between 14-botl head engines and 10-bolt?

Just a thought.... I had no problem fitting my standard timing set to the 4.0, but then the cam sprocket just bolts on into a keyway rather than sitting on the shaft.

Dont now if this is the issue, but on your own picture the chainwheek on the cam is marked AF3 and on Zim's picture the same wheel is marked AF2 ?

Morten

Well spotted ill look into that, I took the set to acr yesterday, I was goin anyway to have my heads sorted a little and Roland's going to try the set on one of his engines, hopefully he can't get it to fit either :)

So heard back from Roland at acr he said the chains too short, one or two links.

Now the next problem/question is can anyone reccomended another timing set? I don't need vernier etc just a simple duplex all steel chain? Cheers

A difference of one link would be a hughe difference, not to mention two! I'd say in my case it was a matter of milimeters.

And yes (as said by Ben), it was to slack for comfort, but I ended up fitting it after all because I could find neither the cause nor a better fitting set.

Others I have fitted were nice and tight, i.e. quite difficult to put on. Except for one, where we had to mix and match between OEM and genuine, old and new parts, to find a combination to out liking.

Filip