Waffles - where do you keep yours?

Jon White

A quick question for those with hard topped trucks - what do you do with your waffles?

The way those with truck cabs mount them accross the back is all very well when you dont have a rear door to open, but I'm struggling to find anywhere sensable to mount them. I've thought about shoving them up on the roof, but am concerned that they'll just get ripped off.

Also how do you physically clamp them down? I'm really after something that wont get jammed up with mud and doesnt have any small bits to get lost in the mud.

Cheers

Jon

A quick question for those with hard topped trucks - what do you do with your waffles?

The way those with truck cabs mount them accross the back is all very well when you dont have a rear door to open, but I'm struggling to find anywhere sensable to mount them. I've thought about shoving them up on the roof, but am concerned that they'll just get ripped off.

Also how do you physically clamp them down? I'm really after something that wont get jammed up with mud and doesnt have any small bits to get lost in the mud.

Cheers

Jon

I used roof rack ladder mount bolted to the roof but then never ever used them.....

looked ok very strong but pain to get on and off in a comp but for laning perfect

Here:

daan041.jpg

They double up as my false (antislip) floor in normal use. They are locked into place by closing the rear door. Length is almost full length, they go under the bulkhead and the seat base. The length is only limited by the PTO sticking out of the transferbox.

During competition, I have them loose on top of the wheelboxes.

Daan

My mate came up with a novel solution whic we may be modifying. One drawback is that you have to shorten the waffles by about 10 cms. Basicallly he fixed them to the bonnet using some angle. Mods will include using alloy not stell and having some form of qucik release (bungie cord) to hold them in place. His had a habit of self deployment at the bottom of sharp drop-offs LOL.

On the 90 when it was a truck cab I made a compartmentalised holdall to fit in the rear tub using 3/4 shuttering plywood. I made it so there was a waffle sized slot beneath where full sized waffles could be slid into when not in use. Unfortuanely no pics of it. Was good for holding recovery kit separate from tools and stuff.

Here:

daan041.jpg

They double up as my false (antislip) floor in normal use. They are locked into place by closing the rear door. Length is almost full length, they go under the bulkhead and the seat base. The length is only limited by the PTO sticking out of the transferbox.

During competition, I have them loose on top of the wheelboxes.

Daan

Nice Daan like that and specially your wheel arch. Very nicly done. you are running 35"isn't it?? Was thinking to do similair to create space for the 36" Any suggestions what you would change when you had to do it again??

rob

Nice Daan like that and specially your wheel arch. Very nicly done. you are running 35"isn't it?? Was thinking to do similair to create space for the 36" Any suggestions what you would change when you had to do it again??

rob

I personally like the endresult, but toooo muuuch tiiiime coooonsuuuuuming. Thats all really. I will fit a rear winch at some stage, so far ignored for financial reasons.

The space proved very usefull, I also run radius arms on the rear suspension, so no a-frame in the way. The aluminium channel allows 2*20 litre jerrycans to be fitted on their back in front of the spare wheel.

The idea of the waffles on the bonnet worked very well for us during the RFC, you need them at the front while competing. It only gave us a bonnet with no paint left on it.

Brackets for this are is on the list of things to do for the future.

Daan

We have ours down the side of the truck, mostly shielded by the external roll cage we have, sorry I don't have any good pictures at the moment, but here is the only one I have which shows it at all

DSC00117.JPG

we made a bracket attached to the roll cage, and that has a set of bolts coming out, which the waffle rests on, on the other side (external) there is a strip of steel, which goes over the bolts and waffle, and butterfly nuts secure it in place.

Nick

I have a couple of pics somewhere of a SW 90 with internal deck for the waffles,to keep them levelled with the side windows...stored vertical right behind the bulkhead,in an alu folder,with moveable lid,open the windows (or better,keep'em opened when needed) and make the waffle slide out...

I liked the idea but not sure it's really confortable... :unsure:

Hmmmmmm thanks Chaps!

Daan - like yours, but my rear winch literally touches the bottom of my rear floor so the only way I could do this is by laying them on top of the existing floor. I've have to shorten them too much then to get them in and the rear door shut, plus I'd have to take em out every time I wanted to get to the rear winch!

Mounting them externally down the body sides had crossed my mind, but as I dont have an external rear cage I'm just concerned they'd get ripped off!

Jon

I decided to keep my spare wheel in the back which left my rear door free to mount my waffles, hi-lift (other jacks are available ;) ), shovel and tow rope when in off-road mode. Their combined weight was less than the spare wheel but I was going to strengthen the back door skin with a 6mm sheet of ali or chequer plate.

Needless to say I still havn't got around to it but here is the mock up photo anyway:

image10013wd0.jpg

While looking for that photo I found this one which shows a particularly neat set up:

137295av3.jpg

On a 110 CSW they do fit on the foot well of the rear seats, thats where I have got mine, only problems is you do loose a bit of floor space, but as I rarely carry passengers in the back seats it is`nt rearly a problem.

All you have to do is open the back doors and rip em out.