Jeep wrangler build

You feeling allright dan? Standard spring cups and gay plate wing tops??? :P

Looks nice and tidy will the springs dislocate there?

The rear end is actually setup for airshocks as well, the conventional springs are a temperary thing,

As for the gay plate, being as it fully welded in it just seemed more practical than flat plate

Looking really good as always Dan. You had any problems with the axle tubes warping with that much material welded on to them?

Not that i've noticed at all Soren.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Dan, than thing is going to look good! I've always had a softspot for Jeeps, and seeing as the Defender is on the way out, perhaps that is the only proper 4x4 we will be able to buy new in the future? I'd sure pick it over a G-wagon, Toyota or Nissan anytime. It has much more DIY Land Rover ish flavor to it, and boy can you get a lot of goodies for them in the states :wub:

I'm still not sure on your engine choice though.. But that's just me, I really think a Diesel belongs nowhere near a Jeep. But perhaps your plans are to do like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Nv_4ZEtm0

Are they tsl's? What size?

Is that the willy's outside?

They are 35x15.5r15 TSL SX

That is my willys mb it not outside though. its just in the older part of the garage.

Wow Dan, than thing is going to look good! I've always had a softspot for Jeeps, and seeing as the Defender is on the way out, perhaps that is the only proper 4x4 we will be able to buy new in the future? I'd sure pick it over a G-wagon, Toyota or Nissan anytime. It has much more DIY Land Rover ish flavor to it, and boy can you get a lot of goodies for them in the states :wub:

I'm still not sure on your engine choice though.. But that's just me, I really think a Diesel belongs nowhere near a Jeep. But perhaps your plans are to do like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Nv_4ZEtm0

The aftermarket for jeeps is there for the same reason as is the one for landrovers, they need it!

I believe the jeep in that vid has a 1.9pd vw engine in it and won the croatia trophy this year!

Great !

What's the plans for the Willys ? I have a soft spot for those.

Full restoration, i plan to return it to the condition it would have been at the end of the war. a nice kind of used/battered patina that only 3 years of war can give.

I really don't like them when they are concours restored, they always seem fake somehow.

What do you do to retain patina but stop corrosion?

It was Stephen who brought up the dreaded "patina" not me!

my mb will be completely corrosion free when i've finished but the panels will still look like a ploughed field!

And when finished if i cannot indescriminatly pile stuff into the back of it and jump in covered in carp then i will have judged myself to have failed!!

How do you make it look so easy? Is that a toyota hybrid badge on the back? :)

Whats the bit of tube for around the back of the shocks? Is it just to position that bracket or does it do something else?

Well done Al, you keep the thread on track!!! :hysterical:

It is indeed a toyota hybrid badge. Quite fitting i think, it does actually have some toyota parts on it the rear calipers are for an avensis.

The tube has the panard rod mounted of it and eventually it will have some kind of protection plate for the rear difflock actuator as well.

What do you mean easy? this one feels to have dragged one for eternity and it's still not even nearly finished!

The plan is to put it into starage now until i've done the MB, and built a tube buggy then i'll finish it maybe :i-m_so_happy: