Britpart calipers

Would you say this was a poor quality seal that caused the failure or a poor finish to the piston?

The Delphi exchange route you mention, I've not heard of this have you more details?

Barry, I found this option a little by accident, I had a caliper go on my focus took it to Autosave and they gave me a delpi replacment unit then gave me the exchange money back there and then.

Then did it for the rear calipers on a disco and they had em in, was well impressed. and a good price too.

Mav

I think perhaps any future threads of this ilk need to be strictly moderated to only provide users real experiences of a specific part. Any generic "manufacturer x's parts are are made of cheese" posts should be removed...

That way we might end up with some useful threads on what parts are good alternatives to genuine, and which ones are actually a false economy.

I totally agree on that one

I don't know where you are Mike, but if you want the offer to come down to my workshop and test all the calipers on our pressure test rig, the offer is there. Based south of Ashford in Kent. You'll probably tell me you are 300 miles away!

Look at it as £60 for four pairs of serviceable castings!

Cheers for the offer.

Ill wait till they come and then see what they look like, may even end up back on eBay, but I'm tempted to give them a go, if they leak then ill just get the seal kit and pistons

Would blasting before stripping be the best course, rather than stripping and then blasting?

If you blast after they have been stripped you risk damaging the seal lands. This probably won't matter if you don't over do it since the critical seal surface is on the piston circumference rather than in the caliper (because the piston moves with respect to the seal whereas the calliper doesn't) but the seal lands in the calliper are machined so they should not really be subjected to shot or sand blasting unless they are going to be re-honed.

Nick.

Even Britpart have to meet a minimum safety standard with things like calipers

While I actually agree with the gist of your post, I do take issue with this comment.

I have said this before but it bears repeating: for car parts, unless the parts are e-marked and the manufacturer can provide you with a copy of their independently audited e-mark certificate then there is no guarantee that the manufacturer has met any 'minimum safety standards'.

Do not assume that just because these are safety critical parts 'they must be OK because they would not be allowed to sell them if they were not'. That's not how the law works.

Nick.

I have been watching this and wasn't going to post but I just couldn't resist.

I have had a set of Britpart calipers on the rear of my D200 for about 5 years easy and maybe longer.

Not had any problems yet mot's each year fine (fingers crossed)that doesn't really work crossing your fingers.

I have also had a radiator in for 4/5 years. There's probably more stuff but I can't think of it.

There may even have been parts I have had problems with. You pay your money you make the choice.

Someone should let Britpart know about issues people are having with there parts, they might be able to redress them.

(...) but I'm tempted to give them a go, if they leak then ill just get the seal kit and pistons

This is the reason they sell such s**t.

I don't mean to pick out you personally, and I know the ones you are buying are second hand technically, but you say they're unused. If they leak on the first use then the only thing you should be doing is raising hell with the place you get them from. Not fixing them yourself and passing it off as just one of those things. The fact is Britpart sell s**t because people buy it, and 9 times out of 10 nobody bothers to return it or make a fuss.

Hopefully you'll be fine and they will be OK. Would certainly be interesting to find out who's casting/machining them though.

This is the reason they sell such s**t.

I don't mean to pick out you personally, and I know the ones you are buying are second hand technically, but you say they're unused. If they leak on the first use then the only thing you should be doing is raising hell with the place you get them from. Not fixing them yourself and passing it off as just one of those things. The fact is Britpart sell s**t because people buy it, and 9 times out of 10 nobody bothers to return it or make a fuss.

Hopefully you'll be fine and they will be OK. Would certainly be interesting to find out who's casting/machining them though.

True, I agree but I'm not going to get anywhere with britpart having bought these second hand.

Ok guys so they came today, this is what greeted me on opening the package,

9C19A0E6-CF16-4261-BA68-E12189168414-413

Could I be so lucky??....

CAC1616E-B47B-478A-A2A3-F8FF6A4E119B-413

Oh yes to ap front calipers! To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

The rears are normal britpart though, they look ok but no castings on them....

0EB42A18-EA8A-4C9F-9C19-76BEEEC03636-413

6DC96946-C11C-4802-8778-0AAA12CE1927-413

Out of interest what is the blanking plug in there for?

Also are atlas bolts a good make of bolts?

The G on the end of the part number for your front calipers signifies that it's an OEM part - in this case AP. Britpart are just the distributor/reseller in this case which is great as you've got decent branded parts at a cheaper price!

I presume that that rough casting has various applications and so the plug is fitted for this one. Perhaps for dual-line use on a Disco or the like?

The G on the end of the part number for your front calipers signifies that it's an OEM part - in this case AP. Britpart are just the distributor/reseller in this case which is great as you've got decent branded parts at a cheaper price!

I presume that that rough casting has various applications and so the plug is fitted for this one. Perhaps for dual-line use on a Disco or the like?

I knew about the G, but the seller never quoted that when he sent me the part number.

"Also are atlas bolts a good make of bolts?"

Seen atlas bolls on other older oem car stuff, you can take it that they are imperial threads as metric would have the grade on them afaik.

Looks like a bargain though, well done!

"Also are atlas bolts a good make of bolts?"

Seen atlas bolls on other older oem car stuff, you can take it that they are imperial threads as metric would have the grade on them afaik.

Looks like a bargain though, well done!

Just thinking if there good bolts chances are rest of it may be good quality too?

Anyway may have slipped up here as I think the rears are for late 110's, is the mounting different? There part numbers smc500270 and 260. Can't seem to find an answer on google, basically will they fit my Rangey axle?

If they are 110 rears then they will fit the axle but they will be the wrong size with regard to discs.

I suppose you could put 110 rear discs on if you wanted as a get-around. They'd also be the same as the front ones, if your 90 is post-1991.

Well the rear discs I got with the calipers were I think sdb000330, my 90 is '86.

Think ill have to have a look into this, bit too tired for thinking tonight though :0

Cheers mike

Good result on the front callipers! Before you disconnect the rears, just unbolt them and move them to one side - I have heard of Britpart callipers having misaligned bolt holes.

Thanks for the heads up, will do.

Ok guys so they came today, this is what greeted me on opening the package,

9C19A0E6-CF16-4261-BA68-E12189168414-413

Could I be so lucky??....

CAC1616E-B47B-478A-A2A3-F8FF6A4E119B-413

Oh yes to ap front calipers! To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

The rears are normal britpart though, they look ok but no castings on them....

0EB42A18-EA8A-4C9F-9C19-76BEEEC03636-413

6DC96946-C11C-4802-8778-0AAA12CE1927-413

Out of interest what is the blanking plug in there for?

Also are atlas bolts a good make of bolts?

the red blank is the connection for your brake pipes to screw in to the caliper body, make sure the pipes go in dead square or you'll &^%$ up the threads

Just thinking if there good bolts chances are rest of it may be good quality too?

Anyway may have slipped up here as I think the rears are for late 110's, is the mounting different? There part numbers smc500270 and 260. Can't seem to find an answer on google, basically will they fit my Rangey axle?

SMC500270

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/7582/2990/26/SMC500270-CALIPER-ASSY-REAR-RH.html?sort=price_asc

SMC500260

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/7595/SMC500260-CALIPER-ASSY-REAR-LH.html?search=SMC500260&page=1

both for 90 rear axle according to the above links,

this is a RRC rear caliper '91 to 94 non-abs

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/11001/RTC5890-BRAKE-CALIPER-REAR-LH.html?search=rear%20caliper&page=1

this one fits RRC/Disco & 90 rear http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/11668/SMC500240-BRAKE-CALIPER-REAR-LH.html?search=rear%20caliper&page=1

the red blank is the connection for your brake pipes to screw in to the caliper body, make sure the pipes go in dead square or you'll &^%$ up the threads

Cheers Ralph, I knew that! :0 it was the steel blanking plug I was on about :0