Fans - PACET or KENLOWE ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hmmmm

Fan thinking at the mo,

I have used PACET in the past, seem ok,

checking the CFM on flows seems they are significantly higher output fans than the Kenlowe ones ??,

actaully the CFM of the pacets are so much higher than the Kenlowes I'm actually wondering if the figs are true ???

So, pacet or kenlowe and why ?

Discuss :rolleyes:

Nige

I have used PACET in the past, seem ok,

checking the CFM on flows seems they are significantly higher output fans than the Kenlowe ones ??,

actaully the CFM of the pacets are so much higher than the Kenlowes I'm actually wondering if the figs are true ???

So, pacet or kenlowe and why ?

I believe Pacet are cheaper. As for CFM, I'm sure one could think of different methods and different conditions for measuring these. Likewise one would expect similar fans i.e. same diameter, same depth of blade and most importantly drawing similar amount of amps would have very similar CFM figures.

If it were me, and it is, I would go to scrap yard first - both of mine come from there - much cheaper plus you may get a nice cowl. (I said coal not cow!) The p & k fans do not have cowls so need to be mounted very close to the radiator.

One may be forced to fit one of the two brands mentioned ^^^ since they have shorter motors i.e. can fit into a narrower space. Also they are avaialble in 12 V and 24 V flavours; you would need to go to a bus or lorry graveyard for one of those.

Both the P & K as well as fans ripped out of old scrappers can be controlled by a thermostat/relay.

As for reliability, who knows - it is usually the kenlowe thermostat that packs in after being dunked in mud.

Nige I'm just wondering if this is connected with the que Tonk asked, and you are after a fan or two for your rad. In which case I would strongly suggest a pair of mondeo twin leccy fans. They shift a **** load of air, my second one had never come on yet. Bish ahd the same fans on his V8 and found them very effective too. The cowl is an almost perfect fit for a 90 rad and is low profile enough to fit a V8 90 with the engine in the factory position. Picked mine up on ebay for a fiver, not worth getting my hands dirty down the scrappers for that money.

red39.jpg

Yup, Modeo V6 with aircon is what you're looking for.

Can cool from off the scale :ph34r: to normal in under a minute ( blown fuse caused the overheating so I replaced the fuse and watched the temp gauge - very scientific I know! :lol: )

The cowl is also an excellent fit on the RR V8 radiator.

I think it is a bit risky to spend over £100 on Pacet or Kenlowe and then go dunking them in muddy water at every opportunity. They may be more resilient than a Mondeo fan, but you can get 10 sets for the price of one!

My 2p.

Nige - scrapheap for me every time. Mondeo ones are damn effective and Ford have a bigger budget for developing fans that work than Kenlowe/Pacet/Spal put together. French stuff (Laguna/Picasso/Xantia/206) has big & flat fans made by Gate.

Also, I find the factory cowlings are far better to make fit than the standard Kenlow/Pacet method of cable tying the damn thing to the rad or suspending it by a couple of bars in free air near the rad. <_<

On my Mondeo one I cut the cowling about, then edged it with door rubber off a metro to make a nice seal to the rad without damaging it.

Edit: I've just remembered I have a pair of 12" kenlowes in the garage that came off the 109, what am I bid? B)