Mercedes om606 engine

• 3 months later...

Proud owner of an average mile 150k e300 '98. 550 euro.

Bit more than I wanted to pay but wheels are good condition and scraping the car once I am finished should recoup half the the initial cost.

Now the question is the gearbox.

Use the auto with standalone controller with divorced lt230. Or 6 speed manual from a clk merc. Or adapter plate and r380/lt230.

I am not particularly pushed with auto box but its a smooth ride in the car and would handle the increased bhp that the mods might bring. Also I don't have a v8 r380 box. So that would be a recon box from ashcroft. A bit pricey given the exchange rate but piece of mind knowing what you get will work as advertised.

This is all going into a 2 door range rover.

Hector-Boy is from the Euro-zone... that's clear.. :-)

Can you (or somebody else) help me with the length of the Merc auto box? (5G-Tronic / 722.6)

If I may believe Wiki it is capable of nearly 800lb-ft / 1100Nm !!??!! Bomb proof I guess?

I am looking for the distance between bell housing to flange of the donut mounting without the donut. And the donut size itself.

Thinking (out loud) of short coupled remote LT230 setup in combination with the 722.6.

Maybe lining up the Auto box and LT230 with a sort of subframe attached to bell housing bolts / gearbox rear mounting / mounting flange from the LT230 and using the Merc-donut for direct coupling to an LT230 inputshaft (Rakeway or LR autobox inputshaft).

In this way I can stay away from fabricating difficult adapter plates and can do with some simple work on a Lathe for the inputshaft. For the rest making a subframe which uses the available mounting points and bolts.

i'm running a '99 e300.

i'm planning on running e300 engine and autobox on modified ecu and gearbox controller.

Divorced lt230 on short shaft using the donut one end and a spline into the LT at the other.LT will be mounted into the chassis on rubber mounts and auto box will be mounted as per mercedes using the rear gearbox cross member.

Love this engine!

@ Wanger: you want to let live the auto box and T-case on their own rubber mounts and keep them lined up bij the shortshafts & donut??

I think the donut, shafts and bearings from the autobox and LT230 will have a hard life... :-S

• 2 weeks later...

@ Wanger: you want to let live the auto box and T-case on their own rubber mounts and keep them lined up bij the shortshafts & donut??

I think the donut, shafts and bearings from the autobox and LT230 will have a hard life... :-S

i don't think so.the movement is twisting action so rotational around prop.same with the TB. I can also make a bracket off the rear mount that can hold the two together.

i don't think so.the movement is twisting action so rotational around prop.same with the TB. I can also make a bracket off the rear mount that can hold the two together.

Twisting action.. that is obvious.. But it is mounted in a car which moves so the engine with gearbox want to move in another way than the divorced transfer box because there are other forces acting on it depending on the position in the car. So the driveshaft must do more than only transfer torque, but also take lateral forces.