Inspection lights

BogMonster

At work we're trying to find a source of some decent general purpose workshop inspection lamps, the ordinary 240V type, but something fairly compact not the cheap and nasty "hardly fits under a lifted 110" type that you seem to find in most places that has a body about 3x the width of the bulb. So far everything I have looked at seems to be the above type and they are rubbish as you can't fit them in to all sorts of places. Does anybody have a really good inspection light and where did you get it/got a picture? Preferably one with a clamp thingy on it rather than just a hook.

Also can you buy heavy duty shockproof bulbs for them? We just use ordinary bayonet bulbs in ours (its all you can get here) and somebody was cursing the other day having gone through 4 bulbs in about 10 minutes....! *

Finally are the fluorescent ones any good? You don't seem to be able to buy them here but if they are good (and the bulbs last) then we might order a few.

Any practical suggestions/recommendations please? :)

* Note that anybody who says "don't bash it on the chassis" will receive a slap with a decaying haddock :P

The type of bulb you need is called a "Rough Service Bulb" a Google should find suppliers.

I doubt if you will get a compact one to take a filament bulb because of the heat generated, although I have a small clamp type one that takes a 21w 12v bulb, I found that in a skip!

Since I bought my halogen tube lamp I have not bothered replacing the bulb in my old conventional filament bulb one. Better spread of light and less harsh than the filament bulb ones and so far it is proving to be much more robust. Only has a hook but can usually find somewhere to hang or wedge it.

We had a really good one for a couple of years that was a Draper thing, hardly bigger than the bulb with a shield on one side to stop glare, and a switch on the light itself (which seems rare) unfortunately the label with the Draper number had gone and the place we bought it denied all knowledge of stocking them :( then somebody reversed over it I think which didn't do it a power of good <_<

Thanks I'll check out rough service bulbs :)

Just been looking at the fluo ones on Screwfix and Draper, might be the way to go I think and they are cheap (they often get killed...), how easily do the bulbs go pop if you accidentally tap it on the chassis or something?

My inspection lamp is a big sodium floodlamp - brilliant light but the tubes don't like being knocked around so probably wouldn't survive long in a commercial workshop. It's far too big to hand on anything but gives so much light you can just sit it on the ground.

I've used robhybrids fluorescent bar type worklight, which was pretty good and seemed to be plenty robust enough, so I'll put in another vote for one of those. Not sure how flameproof they are, though :ph34r:

I have an LED one (one of these) which I have been pleased with. The only annoyance I have found is that it is 12V, so has to run off the vehicle. As it happens it has turned into a plus point, gos it means I can chuck it in the box with other spares for laning and use it whereever. The LED is pretty ecconomic on power, and I have not had any issues with it running out of juice.

probably not what you are after, but it is an alternative.

Mark

Mine is a 'Ring' flourescent tube type. Much better than a bulb type. The flourescent tube is robust and is inside a clear plastic tube so is protected. It doesn't get hot like an ordinary bulb type, which I have found to be very prone to blowing. Even 'rough service' bulbs don't last as well as the flourescent tubes.

Only downside is it has a hook and no clamp, but it can be laid, pushed or poked in somewhere.

Regards,

Diff

I have a regular lead lamp type. It has an ABS handle with a clear plastic bulb enclosure and a screw on cap/lense and a clamp on the side. It is designed to take an incandesent bulb but I too had trouble with them blowing every five minutes and managed to find a compact flourencent to fit. That works fine and I have dropped it without problems.

Chris

I use a Ring inspection lamp but, like chris, found that putting one of those flourescent energy saving bulbs in has the added bonus of running cool and being a lot more robust (I havnt broken it yet!). Personally though, I prefer to use a powerful LED head torch so that the light is always where you are looking and you dont need to stop and reposition it every time.

I have a regular lead lamp type. It has an ABS handle with a clear plastic bulb enclosure and a screw on cap/lense and a clamp on the side. It is designed to take an incandesent bulb but I too had trouble with them blowing every five minutes and managed to find a compact flourencent to fit. That works fine and I have dropped it without problems.

Chris

Aren't the "energy saving" bayonet flu bulbs about £15 a pop or something though? :blink:

We've got a couple of used ones here that came out when tubes were put in so will try one of those, thanks :)

I use a LED headtorch too but extra light is often needed for a lot of things, they are brilliant but not that bright unless you get one of the ones that makes you look like a Cyberman then they are a bit uncomfortable :)