Handbrake and mud in radiator

Hi all went off roading at hill and ditch quarry the other day was really good! Although I'm now paying the price my car is overheating due to mud being clogged up in the radiator an intercooler and my handbrake is sticking on? Can anybody advise me what to do about both? And how I can prevent this happening again? Are there any guards or covers i can get?

Thanks

Tom

Also some pics

null_zpsd1b4b7ae.jpg

null_zps7725a227.jpg

null_zps73d5be53.jpg

null_zps2c2107dd.jpg

null_zpsdb155d32.jpg

Low pressure hose through Radiator. It's worth rigging up the hose so it can spray on the rad for half an hour or more as it's difficult to get the mud out of the middle of the cores.

If that fails, remove the rad and leave it sitting in a bath of water over night - then run water through the fins. It's amazing how much mud falls out!

For the Handbrake, the only real solution is to remove the drum and wash out the internals. It's worth dismantling the expander mechanism, cleaning and re-assembling with a load of really sticky waterproof grease (stern tube grease fro example). It also might be worth drilling a couple of big holes in the outside of the drum while it's off. These allow mud to be centrifuged out while it's running and give you somewhere to poke a hose pipe in without having to dismantle.

If you have rear drum brakes in the wheels - it's worth doing the same on these. On mine, I made the holes line up with the gaps in my rims - so I could easily get the hose inside without removing a wheel.

Si

Low pressure hose through Radiator. It's worth rigging up the hose so it can spray on the rad for half an hour or more as it's difficult to get the mud out of the middle of the cores.

If that fails, remove the rad and leave it sitting in a bath of water over night - then run water through the fins. It's amazing how much mud falls out!

For the Handbrake, the only real solution is to remove the drum and wash out the internals. It's worth dismantling the expander mechanism, cleaning and re-assembling with a load of really sticky waterproof grease (stern tube grease fro example). It also might be worth drilling a couple of big holes in the outside of the drum while it's off. These allow mud to be centrifuged out while it's running and give you somewhere to poke a hose pipe in without having to dismantle.

If you have rear drum brakes in the wheels - it's worth doing the same on these. On mine, I made the holes line up with the gaps in my rims - so I could easily get the hose inside without removing a wheel.

Si

Right will have to try get under it tonight! How big of a job is it to dismantle the drum etc?

Also I've seen on a couple of off readers they have like covers on the grill that clip on and off? Just for use while off roading what are these called

Taking the drum off, servicing and reassembling will take about an hour - maybe two depending how easily your prop shaft bolts are to remove. It's an easy job though.

I used to have a sheet of the mesh used for fire guards (very small holes / fine mesh) which I could slip down between the slam panel and radiator. This stopped all but the smallest particles ending up in the rad, but still allowed some cooling. You can often buy the mesh in Garden Centres.

Si

The only decent solution to the handbrake problem is to get an X-brake - you'll soon get fed up of stripping the handbrake every time you go through a bit of mud.

Ditto, bought it-fitted it, more or less forgot about it-It's that good I only remember it's there because it works properly and I'm not going to have to do what the original poster has now got to do!!

John

And another, i've had a few issues with mine, but I'd never go back to a drum brake! My 109 is due to get an LT77 and LT230..it'll start life with its drum brake, but as soon as I can afford it it'll be getting an X-brake!

my handbrake hasnt worked in ages and ages. i fix it every MOT and it seems to last a week if that, i could sort it, but i am normally too busy, i just live without it most of the time :) i know its not useful info, but if you cant afford to buy an x brake the engine will hold it no problem. its just sometimes a little annoying when opening gates as you have to shut it off.

my handbrake hasnt worked in ages and ages. i fix it every MOT and it seems to last a week if that, i could sort it, but i am normally too busy, i just live without it most of the time :) i know its not useful info, but if you cant afford to buy an x brake the engine will hold it no problem. its just sometimes a little annoying when opening gates as you have to shut it off.

Yeah think that's going to have to be the option for the time being until I can afford the x brake! Anybody know how hard they are to fit?

Yeah think that's going to have to be the option for the time being until I can afford the x brake! Anybody know how hard they are to fit?

About 2+ hours If you're taking your time-but worth it-it really is!!,

John

Absolute doddle to fit! I think the worst bit about fitting mine was getting the prop to pull back to get the drum off (slider was stuck), and then I got an oil shower as the felt seal had gone on the output shaft...which meant I had an extra job to do!