Things that make you lie awake at night...

HoSS

Having just rebuilt the V8, I've had this little nagging thought in my head for the past two nights.

'I can't remember tourquing up the camshaft end bolt' :(

and

'Yes, i must have done it' :unsure:

and

'Did I?' :huh:

So, I reckon the timing cover is coming off again tommorow - If only to give me peace of mind.

:ph34r:

get a tin of yellow paint(other colours would suffice)

once torqued a dab of paint on the bolt/nut head will save the undoing to check scenario.

I use a couple of touch-up sticks (the ones with built in brush) for that very thing? If you apply a nice neat line it also lets you assess if anything has started to back-off a few weeks later (if you can still see it obviously :rolleyes: ).

Nice peace of mind with swivel housing bolts and the like..

Guest diesel_jim
get a tin of yellow paint(other colours would suffice)

once torqued a dab of paint on the bolt/nut head will save the undoing to check scenario.

I do a similar thing, then i end up thinking to myself....

"Did i actually do the job in question, then dab the paint on? or did i dab the paint on whilst i had the brush in my hand (from dabbing the previouly done job),thinking that i'd do it in a minute... then forgot?"

my head hurts!! :blink::blink::D

will my alarmclock go off is mine. its got a failure rate of about 1 in 10 - i really should buy a new one next year (cant rush these things).

i know all about that torquing bolts problem, ive taken a diff out just to check i had adjusted the freeplay correctly after fitting lockers. of course i had adjusted it fine, bet if i hadn't checked i wouldnt have done.

"Did I lock the office door when I left work" is usually one of mine....

I used to live out in the country 40 miles from work, and at least once a month I used to lie awake trying to remember if I locked up when I left the shop. It always got the better of me and I would drive back in the middle of the night, only to find that I had indeed locked up.

Bill.

Work, Work and Work

or

Last night was do I scrap the Challenge truck completely and turn the tomcat into a racer which will be much more fun and just stick all the challenge toys on a RRC 4dr vouge that I can use for towing, playing,walking dogs,comp & play marshaling, Taking mates out off roading and spare car when the disco needs a service.

Looks like I may be knocking challenging on the head :unsure:

Jules,

I know what you mean, after spending god knows how long getting the truck ready for it's test, once...if it gets through :unsure: , I'm going to be a bit reluctant to smack it to bits again, and then start all over again,

If I was doing it indoors and not outside I may well have a different outlook

So looks like the truck retiring from competion but still be used /weekend away vech/tow truck/play thing.....I'll watch Nick thrash his instead :P

plus, I'm getting to old to keep crawling underneath in all weathers just to fix it, It's nice when you can go out and tinker, as opposed to "having" to go out and fix it :(

plus, I'm getting to old to keep crawling underneath in all weathers just to fix it, It's nice when you can go out and tinker, as opposed to "having" to go out and fix it :(

know exactly how you feel... my 'rover is my only car, and i would love to get out and do some proper off-roading in it at weekends, but as its my only transport, i cant have it off the road for repairs...

at the moment... "I wish someone would give me a job....."

but normally, "did i lock the car..."

Ditto,

but I would add "better" before job.

The truck lives in the box since a while,but I lock it anyway.

:rolleyes:

Jules,

I know what you mean, after spending god knows how long getting the truck ready for it's test, once...if it gets through :unsure: , I'm going to be a bit reluctant to smack it to bits again, and then start all over again,

If I was doing it indoors and not outside I may well have a different outlook

So looks like the truck retiring from competion but still be used /weekend away vech/tow truck/play thing.....I'll watch Nick thrash his instead :P

I have to work outside as I have too much stuff in the garage....

The racing gives me such a buzz which I love the challengeing is a good laugh but somthing has got to give.

The thought of having a 4x4 with 5 seats and room for the dogs with twin lockers and twin winch's (from my 90) to me sounds so much more useful and fun than a dedicated truck to compete with that only has room for two and nothing else....... This time last year I would never have even thought like this

I must be getting old

I used to live out in the country 40 miles from work, and at least once a month I used to lie awake trying to remember if I locked up when I left the shop. It always got the better of me and I would drive back in the middle of the night, only to find that I had indeed locked up.

Bill.

Ah well I am only about 2 min drive from my work so it's a lot less hassle! Likewise, I have never yet found it open....

Guest diesel_jim
Ah well I am only about 2 min drive from my work so it's a lot less hassle! Likewise, I have never yet found it open....

And if anyne did nick stuiff from your work Steve.... where they gonna go with it? :D unless they have a boat lurking offshore!

Currently it's:

Should I sell my M reg disco and get another M reg disco that appears to have less corrosion, a better engine, higher spec, but pretty bad gearbox and shabby/well used interior...?

It's driving me mad and the seller would like to know by the weekend... :blink:

Its not so much what keeps me awake at night as the things I think about when I'm driving the 110 and I'm about 200kms from home.

I begin to think about all those tiny little components whizzing about under the bonnet and rotating at God-knows-how-fast. Then I start to think about the potential for failure if one little bit broke. Then I think; 'What's that noise? I don't remember hearing that before? Or did I????........ and then end up having a huge anxiety attack,

Its not so much what keeps me awake at night as the things I think about when I'm driving the 110 and I'm about 200kms from home.

I begin to think about all those tiny little components whizzing about under the bonnet and rotating at God-knows-how-fast. Then I start to think about the potential for failure if one little bit broke. Then I think; 'What's that noise? I don't remember hearing that before? Or did I????........ and then end up having a huge anxiety attack,

Hehe - i can relate to that, ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Couldn't agree more! My missus thinks I'm nuts cos I notice noises that she doesn't and once I hear them I need to know what it is...

"why's that sounding different today?"

"can you hear that? That sounds bad..." :unsure: