1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

I'm guessing so the effective link length is longer and flatter. Gaining some ground clearance as a bonus. 

Sounds like good guess :i-m_so_happy:

Your both sort of right about the longer length 

With out going into a huge post on suspension dynamics, I'm guessing you both know about Triarged 4 link calculator..... I had a version that I've put alot of time into, one of the extras I'd added was graphs to show the different values at different travels and the rate of change in these values, I'm demonstrating to a client the reason why the common rules apply (you know, flatish bottom links, top link two third the bottom link etc) So I was adjusting the mounting points to extremes (shortened the top links and lengthened the bottom link by changing its mounting to behind the axle) the rear mounted bottom links was to counter pinion angle due to the now around 1/2 ratio top links and to extend the bottom link length to show my point ....... I had made my point and he understood, but I noticed the AS graph had reversed..... normally it is a linear rise as the suspension drops, this time it dropped as the suspension dropped!

Now one of the issues with high AS for offroad is as you are using the AS for acceleration it extends and locks out the suspension so if we are on rough ground we loose traction because the wheels being carried over the bumps not tracking them......   I couldn't get my head around this changed graph the dynamics of it lol right AS is the jacking of the suspension under acceleration yes, so as the suspension pushes up (= and opposite reaction thing) so for the push up there is more down force on the tyres.... more grip ..... in a classic suspension as it extends it changes the link angles and you get more AS generating more down force etc 

This odd suspension lost AS as it extended, so...... accelerate, we have a high AS so the links push the body up, but as they push the body up they change there angle causing less AS.... do they now drop down? or stop and find a balance where they aren't pushing and locking the suspension out?

I really couldn't work it out..... would it cause the back end to bounce (push up and drop down, push up and drop down) or would it extend and go stable 

So I built it on the old landy and its about to get reused here on this..... it worked on the old landy and I'm hopeing it works on here 

Thanks for clarifying De Ranged :i-m_so_happy:Makes good sense, suspension geometry is not only a very complicated subject but also one of personal preference, that is what makes it a subject that keeps me intrigued :D

On a more factory type 4x4 I can see some potential clearance issues with your setup though, but of course not a concern in this instance ;) 

• Like 1

Time for the motor and box to go in so had to clean a bit of the carp that was in the way lol 41290278_516206598806408_404007377310004

Been thinking and since this is a trials style toy I want the tyres clear of the guards....... has anyone seen a dovetailed series landy lol, the back end with some skins to look similar to a shorty tub deck  dovetailed I think would look really cool.... its the front guards I can't seem to get the look right in my head lol anyone seen it done or better yet got pic's surly I'm not the first to consider this.....

Is that your camper project in the background?  Glad it's still around!

yep, still there, its on the list I just needed this done for my mate 

Had a bit of a day on it yesterday not much to show for all the hrs put in but I'm ready to sling the motor in and mount it 

Made some engine mounts 

41282585_516645098762558_573870645646773

And yes my travel speed was all over the show with these welds lol the welds are non critical and I'd been in the shed for 13hrs and wanted to go home so I cheated (wound up the voltage and wire feed and sprinted lol) I should have left one un-buffed they were a nice blue colour 

And here's what took so long 

Finished the rear lower link mounts, added a temp X member and removed the old gearbox one (was bent) then went over the chassis fixing previous dodgy repairs, gouge marks and a couple of cracks that resulted from these so now I'm ready to sling the motor in and mount that 

41310459_516645282095873_427892533545140

Motor is sitting about right.... still got to finalize placement depending on if I can turn the intake manifold to face forward going to take a bit of time to strip all the carp off the top of it so I can see 

41390445_516700618757006_537112045207892

The whole truck and chassis will drop when I'm done 

Here is a shot from the back both of us are going to be sitting on a bit of an angle, and there wont be alot of foot room  lol but its do-able 

41309113_516700968756971_350940050749810

Had one casualty transporting and moving the motor around 

41396085_516701075423627_808877946839236

its one of the egr valves so if the computer can play without it then I'll blank it off and run without 

Got some of the engine mounts done 

41729975_518660045227730_209491063266187

This one was alot of fun lol

41681725_518660161894385_638093712101159

Got the one on Drivers side to do.... its the worst as all the bolts I have to mount to are in one plane 

Thank you.....  I have to admit the shade of green was a pleasant surprise lol you never know with yellows and greens what your going to get