kiwi series build

Missed out on the salvage auction so watching a few others 

Just for the moment since the toy is out of action till I get back with a new (scrap) caliper and I'm able to sort the brakes, I decided to start something else lol like starting new projects 

Now every Out law needs a ride and in this case my toy is no different so $1000 later and a few hrs after work 
I have......
20160908_1426261.jpg

Just a few more bits to cut and that is all the frame done, got to finish the CAD stuff for the mounting tabs and the drive over guards and I can send them off to the profile cutters, in my shed tomorrow so will machine up some spring shackles for it 

14 hours ago, discomikey said:

Gutted about the distance between you and the project! The new project looks like it has had an erm... "interesting" past Will be looking forward to updates.

Yea it is gutting.... just get my grove on in the shed and got to go again 

Mate this new toy lol being honest I love it, this cool amalgamation of redneck and tech.... but its left me looking at the original plan and really rethinking what I carry over into the new one 

Anyway on a positive note I've brought the replacement caliper back with me so this weekend I'll have a go at the brakes.... in the mean time I've got a trailer to build 

Building a trailer,..... ah  those were the days...... no longer supposed to in Europe unless you get it inspected, mind you I have been pondering a period axle! (in this case 'period' means pre-2012).

Look forward to the evolution of this one, always impressed by your threads and work.

Thank you for the comment 

I think we are heading that way. A few yrs back a couple of companies that make tow bars got together and made a standard more an addvertising thing but you are hard pressed to find a car warrant tester that doesn't treat this standard as law and fail you if it doesn't have there little sticker and we are starting to see vehicle tow rattings coming in too lol gone are the days of common sense 

Just sent off the files for the profile cutter, set of 16" beadlock rings, and the set of mounting tabs, shackle plates, guard plates etc for the trailer it has taken me a while to sort the CAD for this.... I got a short term promotion to manager so I've been a bit fried at nights lol but my mate who runs things is going to be back today YAY! 

Me and a mate go at the brakes, 2 old calipers from my stash of hilux parts some old half worn pads and a litre and a half of brake fluid the brakes are working .... well sort of, they will stop me but nothing like they should lol doesn't sfeel like the booster is working properly.... the auto will easily over power them

Stripped and cleaned one hub and bearings lol rust pitted and seal is warped so we just cleaned them up, packed fresh grease and put it back together..... will look at replacing them later 

Here is a shot of the vented disk caliper that poped its pistons trying to reach the solid disk it was mounted on.... and a seized caliper that we swopped out 

20160924_2057351.jpg 

And also got a bit of trailer done..... rolled the axle out of the container so I could cut it up and modify if for use 

20160924_2108271.jpg

Yep keeping the dual's they give me redundancy incase I blow a wheel but in single axle so the trailer will be alot easyier to steer around than a tandem axle 

The axle is from an Isuzu Elf light commercial with a 3 ton max payload 

Just about got the axle done tonight but ran out of wire gluing the fish plates over the axle tube weld..... hopefully be able to get another roll tomorrow  

Axle done now its just a case of waiting on the profiles from steel n tube 

20161003_194625.jpg

Oh and you want a person I'm not that keen on job.... didn't have access to a lathe down here so doing a but weld joint on the axle tubes was a very slow process of grind and line up with a level repeat till it had no daylight on the join then spot weld and adjust (snap the welds and try again lol and again till I decided to space up the tube so when the spot welds pulled it I could bend it back to true so much for all the work to get a perfict mating face....) then weld the whole thing and fish plate 

Would have been so simple to machine up a muff insert, press it in plug weld and then ring weld lol miss my shop

Finally got some of my profiles from Steel n Tube (they forgot to do the beadlock rings) but I'm able to do some trailer 
20161011_211614.jpg

Also got a new toy 
My motor and trans was dropped off this morning 
20161011_174951.jpg

Anybody want parts.... would be nice to get back some of what I've spent to get this 
And this is what its all about 
20161011_174926.jpg

2GR-fe, 10 more hp than the lexus V8 and 20 more Nm and it comes with a transaxle with a tip tronic 6 speed 

think the limiter is at 7500, but if your keen to risk it all that is controled by the rev gauge and its possible to remove the limiter.... the Outlaw has had it done, rather un-nerving if you hold it in gear on the trans it will scream past 7500 

Got a wee bit more done on the trailer tonight, bit of a struggle to line up due to weld warpage on the inner frame, that and I didn't notice at the time when I welded the legs but the floor here isn't really flat, not much in it but enough to cause me to cut the tacks a few times and re-align.... lol would be so nice to do this on my table at home 

20161014_215223.jpg

When its done will you have to get it certified for road use?

I am thinking about building a trailer heavy enough to move LR's here in the UK but I havent got all the paperwork as regards certification yet, to see if its worth it.

Thank you for the comment, not much in the way of tech in a trailer... but some more tech will come lol 

Tal, we are lucky there is a history of home made trailers here in NZ, so the government can't tie it up with legislation (will eventually happen I imagine) so all I'll have to do is take it in to a Vehicle Testing Station where a mechanic (not an engineer lol) will look at it and say it is fit for the task.... there is no standard as to how built it must be other than road worthy-ness (bearings, tyre tread, lights, brakes and hitch etc) He will pass it for these and I register it and thats it  

Sounds good to me, I get the feeling its something like that here but I had to email some government department and I havent heard back yet.

What sort of welding are you doing on your trailer, it looks like MMA but if you have a powerful enough MIG, and it is very neat welding, it could easily be that too

275 amp Mig on single phase 240v with 0.9mm wire on about 18v from memory (will check if you want...)

Didn't do anything on the trailer today, I attacked the parts car 

Stripped the front off and removed alot of the engine bay trim... so it'll be easier to get to the bits and pieces to remove the motor and box 

20161016_164715.jpg

Then started on the inside 

20161016_172750.jpg

Had a bit of a windfall while stripping this ..... found $15.60 in change lol 

Now that this is done its just a case of pushing it into the workshop so I can weld up the broken tierod and then we can start unplugging and stripping electrics and driving it so I can work out what is tied into the body control module.... then work out what signals, voltage etc it needs to think its still there, this is why I've even stripped the door cards this gives me access to the central locking 

I have left the stereo hooked up tho.... surprisingly good sounds from a factory unit and we will need some good music to make hooning this thing around with no seats a bit more bearable lol 

10 hours ago, Tal said:

Sounds good to me, I get the feeling its something like that here but I had to email some government department and I havent heard back yet.

What sort of welding are you doing on your trailer, it looks like MMA but if you have a powerful enough MIG, and it is very neat welding, it could easily be that too

There is an IVA manual and test for building trailers in UK. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-categories-01-02-03-and-04-trailers

Mike

ooh cheers mike, I'll have a good read of that.

I'm not too worried about the voltage but would be interested in the gauge steel you are using, I'm guessing at 4mm in which case I should be able to reproduce something similar with my machine

My welding is not that good yet but I'm working on it. I've done some on my disco rebuild so you'll get to see some of it soon

Got a day in the shed at home so started with this 

20161023_1035302.jpg

After half a day with a plasma I have 3 piles.... stuff I'm saving for the new toy(rear suspension, the sliders with the box section uprights, the galv capping from the tub and the cab the other two piles are scrap alloy and scrap steel 

And this is whats left 

20161023_1618281.jpg

Lol I think I'm a little different.... for me it isn't about the finished toy, its the process of seeing what I want in my head and building it, the problem solving, improving my skills... proving to myself I can do it  

To be honest alot of my projects I have to push myself to finish them because... I've done all the creative stuff, its just the mundane stuff to finish there is no challenge in that and I lose interest in them at that stage and find something else to do lol 

I once had a Hilux I built 6 times at several points it could have driven out of the workshop.... but as I'd finish I'd come up with a better way or idea and I'd carve it up and start again lol made a few friends and started a bit of business selling hop up bits for hiluxs from that project and in the end I parted out the whole truck lol

As for this to be honest making the bits I saved wouldn't be much of a challenge but I wanted to carry some stuff over into the new toy truck so this had to happen 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A wee update had a bit of a slow weekend home.... as in I didn't achieve much lol my shed time was pretty much taken up with cleaning and helping a mate do the rear wheel bearings on his truck but I did locate the spare diff pumpkin I made a few yrs back and mounted it up on the mill so I can machine the axle tube holes 

20161113_161340.jpg

This sort of thing is why I still have this inaccurate dog... she can be moved to do silly stuff like this 

20161113_161321.jpg

Oh in case you have no idea this is an offset diamond style diff pumpkin and I'm boring out the ends of the pumpkin where the welded bit stuck over so I can press fit the axle tubes in through the bored end to locate into the 10mm plate you can see in the top (then fully weld the tubes to the pumpkin) 

The end result is an axle running hilux/cruiser internals with 3/4" more clearance under the axle tubes and between 1-2"s more clearance around the diff pumpkin, roughly 75mm wider and a bucket load stronger than a standard hilux axle housing... oh and setup with the diff on the wrong side so I can use it as a rear steer axle  

Hopefully finish it in a few weeks