Cordless drills

mikec

I need a new cordless, a few years ago I bought a hitachi 18v drill, the hammer function literally lasted about 10 mins use before it gave up the ghost. But I've carried on with it, now its started to slip, either the gears are stripped a little or the torque limiting device for screwing is faulty, anyway time for a new one.

18v I think, two batteries at least and a quick charge time 20/30mins. I have to admit my drills get seriously abused, been looking at this

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills/hammer_drills/Makita-18V-Li-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries-12508633

Wouldn't normally use b&q but I've got a 50 quid voucher to use. I'd quite like a bosch blue one but there too dear I think.

Any opinions please?

I use those Makita LXTs on a daily basis and they are a lovely drill, puts up with plenty of abuse, I can't comment on the hammer function though as I always use an SDS drill for masonry work.

Cheerss for the advice guys, I would be tempted by a dewalt, they have the rep, but I'm sure I've read/heard recently the qualities gone down a bit, when I've looked at them in the shop before I've never thought they felt particularly great quality.

I use those Makita LXTs on a daily basis and they are a lovely drill, puts up with plenty of abuse, I can't comment on the hammer function though as I always use an SDS drill for masonry work.

I won't be using it too much for masonry, but it is handy.

I think the most important thing you want to think about is the price you want to pay, then you can think of a budget.

I bought a Milwaukee drill/driver set, and they have been amazing, but come at a fair price:

http://www.tools4trade.co.uk/milwaukee-18v-combi-drill-and-impact-driver-twin-pack-2-x-4-0ah-batteries-with-free-30-piece-drilling-shockwave-impact-duty-set-p-151697

On hammer, I was easily able to drill into 65 year old concrete, the difference between these and any previous drills I have had is that they actually feel like a mains one, substantial, and the hammer action is good and fierce. ~22min charge.

The impact driver is VERY powerful too, just remember to use impact-rated bits or they will twist off :)

We use battery drills at work for assembling a plastic cap to an Ali pole with a self drilling screw, all on the clutch. On average we do about 2000 screws a month but in batches. At first we had a hitachi, they hated it as it cut into ther hands and the batteries were goosed after only a few months. Then we got a matika, the battery life was appalling from new, its was slow and gutless, and unusable after maybe a year. Finally I got fed up and bought something more serious. It was a factory referb dewalt with two new lithium batteries, stupidly expensive then but wow! We've had it years, the batteries are still like new, there are no signs of wear and they don't look after it at all. I once grabbed it to core a 4" hole is some tin with a hole saw, it snatched like they do and I swear it nearly broke my wrist!

At home where the budged is less flexible I have a 12 year old jcb which apart from weak batteries is going fine and a skil that has surprised me.

I'd love a bosch as I think they make great tools but they all seem to have the 10mm chuck and you need the 13mm for the 1/2" arbour

any manufaturers 'DIY' range are carp. they wont put up with normal use, never mind the abuse i expect my tools to put up with. (for example, undoing shock mounts with a 1" breaker bar... with a scaffold pole on the end.)

so you can be sure any tool i reccommend will be very rugged. but usually have a price tag to suit.

and on that note...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bhp459rfe-18v-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-brushless-motor/35380

you wont do better than one of those.

however. if you dont need the runtime (and torque)...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bhp453sh-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/58614

same drill, damn sight cheaper.

The second one of those above is the model I have.

Funny people recommending DeWalt against Makita. I went through two Dewalt drills (both in under 6 months, both replaced by Screwfix) before getting the Makita above. Nearly 2 years now and still just fine.

At a guess, I'd say it's down to individual models rather than the manufacturer.

edit: just seen this

any manufaturers 'DIY' range are Ploppy Plop Plops

Totally agree.

That scone one is the same as the one at bandq but with just one battery at screwfix.

That's the one I went with in the end, just got back. They had dewalt ones there too but they just don't "feel" right, so lets see how it fares when I'm next drilling 3/4 holes in 10mm steel :)

Totally agree with the above two posts. Simple fact is you get what you pay for.

I'm still a big fan of dewalt so long as you go for their 'proper stuff' not the Mickey Mouse versions sold by B&Q etc. My DC925 is still going strong 6 years after purchase. The spindle auto braking and one handed Rohm chuck is just awesome.