Multi meter / Circuit Tester Recommendations

Boris113

I've previously used an old sidelight with 2 extended wires and croc clips on the end but would quite like to get a proper multi meter before I try and make sense of my birds nest wiring loom.

Can anyone suggest a good version or advise on features I should look out for?

I'm not looking for a Rolls-Royce version, but a reliable one that will last a few years and cover anything Land Rover related please.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

My top advice is to buy a used Fluke Meter on eBay. They are the Rolls Royce of meters, quality wise - and will last the rest of your life!

I bought a Fluke 79 in 1990 and it's as good now as it ever was - and that's pretty bloody good!

Something like a Fluke 25 will do everything you need - and they sell from about £20 to £50 on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=fluke+meter&LH_ItemCondition=4&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xfluke+25+meter&_nkw=fluke+25+meter&_sacat=0

Si

For many purposes your test lamp will be better than a meter - reason why - test lamp will show up an actual current - ie path with little resistance. If a connection is dirty or a switch is failing it'll still pass the small current required by a meter and you'll think that circuit is working.

After re-wiring I connect indicator bulb into the first connection from the battery and then work out what's happening. No problems with smoke!

For sorting out circuits you don't need acuracy - just need to know if there's a voltage of approximately battery voltage or little resistance - so no need for something high quality. Audible continuity can be handy - saves looking at the thing and reading it.

There are however times when it is handy to have a proper reading though, battery voltage, charging voltage, checking voltage at headlights to see if they are dim from a voltage drop or you are going blind ;) Just don't throw your bulb away when you buy your meter ;)

I agree with Fridge - buy a couple of the cheap ones, I have had similar for years. They measure voltage, resistance, continuity and usually up to 10amps. They will help you to sort out most electrical issues on a Land Rover. If you have 2 you can leave one tucked in the land rover and one at home.

Regards, Diff.

My top advice is to buy a used Fluke Meter on eBay. They are the Rolls Royce of meters, quality wise - and will last the rest of your life!

I bought a Fluke 79 in 1990 and it's as good now as it ever was - and that's pretty bloody good!

Something like a Fluke 25 will do everything you need - and they sell from about £20 to £50 on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=fluke+meter&LH_ItemCondition=4&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xfluke+25+meter&_nkw=fluke+25+meter&_sacat=0

Si

+ 1.They really are that good,keep your bulb and croc clips aswell for testing trailer sockets etc.

I've had a Gunson automotive multimeter for many years, similar to this one.

It has a pickup from HT leads to provide RPM and dwell angle readings. Also has a useful temperature thermocouple, which comes in handy when you have doubts about your engine temperature gauge!

Does more than I'll ever need, and is really robust.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice chaps :)

The Fluke option looks to be a pretty serious bit of kit, however if it will last a while and does everything I could need, then I may go for that.

I've got a LR technician mate coming to help with the wiring tomorrow and he's bringing his Fluke so i can have a play with it before I rush and buy one.

If it seems far beyond my capabilities then I'll go for a cheapo version such as the one that Fridge and Diff suggested.

The version that MickeyW suggested looks to be pretty good for the money, especially given the extra features and the robustness of it, potentially that could be a good halfway half-way house.

I'll make a decision soon and let you know how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to wrap this up, my friend came to help with the wiring the other day and bought a very nice Snap-on tester with him.

We took it out of the box to admire it, then put it back and carried on using my homemade tester.

For now I think I'll stick with what I have, then buy a multimeter if I need one at a later date.

Thank you for all of the advice,

Harry

Another vote for a Fluke - I was given a second hand one by a friend (it was a tradition at one place he worked to give people their multi-meter when they left - he'd worked there twice and didn't need two of them ;) ). Not sure what model I have, but they're bomb proof and do anything you're ever likely to need.

The one I have (looks like the 25 does too) has a feature that's well worth looking for whatever you get - when set to resistance it'll beep when it gets a connection between the probes, which is much easier than trying to see the display when upside down in a footwell trying to trace wiring!