Thieves in Caterham/Surrey 15/10/13

CwazyWabbit

Well the second time it was a woman walking past that stopped them, they then drove off in their Berlingo again..... only to come back a 3rd time

post-25689-0-54540600-1381957943_thumb.jpg

This time they didn't do anything (the 2nd time they looked to have a good go at it)

The only thing that stopped them is the barrel snapped in half leaving part of it locking the door. Mine has had a modified post 2002 barrel retrofitted so it's the longer type. Wouldn't have expected that to keep them out though.

Still they didn't get in last night .... lets see what they do tonight

You need a high powered air rifle and some hollow point slugs for them eeejits, first their car then them as they go for the off.

Good job you got CCTV CW!!!

Hope you still got a truck in the morning mate!!!!

You got a DISKLOK and some X-Defend goodies bolted on her? Might need them!!!

:blink: Barry I'm gobsmacked at your apparent calm...! I'm fizzing just reading this post! I bow down to your obvious higher level of self control than me! - but I also appreciate the bigger fish in the picture would be to actually catch them to stop them from doing it again.

Quite impressive camera work, is that from you're place you're watching it from?

How have the police responded to your info etc?

The Mrs is also quite amazed at my level of calm, I have been known to have a temper. TBF at this point apart from the financial cost of a new barrel (which is a rip off btw) then I am not too badly off from the attempts to steal it.

The Stolen Daihatsu has also been recovered thanks to the fact it had a failed clutch when they stole it :) That should lead to a good chance of forensic evidence.

The camera is a PTZ camera I have mounted on the front of my house, it has up to a 36x zoom so can se much further than that if it needs to.

On and off they visited my car 3 times on foot and drove past it at least another 3 times in the hour that it had their attention.

The post 02 locks I fitted seem to have confused them as on the 2nd attempt they spent quite a while staring in the barrel by the looks of it.

The police have been very pleased with the amount I have captured and CID are looking at it now.

I'm quite shocked at there obvious confidence. Did you manage to get any details of the white van's Reg? I notice in the footage its pretty much just about out of shot in most of the pictures.

Do you have visual security too on the inside? i.e steering lock etc? - just interested to know if they still had a go, knowing full well there was a steering lock on etc too...

I was suprised at how confident they seemed to be, having looked at the whole nights footage (admitedly at high speed) I noticed a number of police cars go along the road, obviously not at the exact same time they were attempting to steal it but we are talking just minutes either side.

I was also a bit worried for the lady who disturbed them during their 2nd attempt as it looked like she followed them around the corner into the side road. I was also concerned for the people whose house I parked outside as one of them was waiting in their garden possibly to stop them disturbing them.

The visible security on the vehicle, an X-Eng pedal lock (stainless steel colour) X-Eng gear lock (bright yellow) and the rear of the car has metal mesh over all the windows and a dog guard is fitted. From one of the shots it looks like they were thinking of trying to break in through the rear door but decided against it because of the mesh.

I don't think they noticed the pedal lock and gear lock, if they had it might have saved me the price of the barrel. They made a right mess of the Daihatsu breaking in.

Hmm, I did wonder as from the pictures you've posted they haven't hesitated at all to have a go, which would make you think they hadn't seen the extra security inside.

It sounds a bit lame but I wonder if a small window sticker would have at least prompted them to look in to check for internal security - with the hope of fully dissuading them to break in, in the first place.

As much as the x eng pedal lock is quite shiny, its not overly obvious on a dark night, I was wondering about sticking some yellow/reflective tape to it to make it a little more visible.

Anyway, some interesting info to be gained from the experience, and I hope they get a lead on the rotter's...!

Simon Smith has had the X-Eng pedal lock for a while as well and has covered his in that black and yellow hazard tape, fairly certain he has had an attempted theft since then. I'm thinking they only notice the steering type locks as they are far more common. The 110 down the road from me that doesn't seem to have had any attention has a steering lock fitted that you notice as you drive by.

TBH I posted the footage just to show quite how brazen they are, if someone recognises them then even better. But it does show that a well lit busy main road that police drive up and down regularly is no guarantee that your Land Rover will be left alone. There is even a police station at the other end of the road.