What diesel lump for engine conversion?

JST

Right then, if you were building a truck for off road use - DRDs, maybe the odd comp and wanted a non ecu controlled diesel engine for a defender based project that would

1. give you good low down torque and pull like a train (ie better than remappped td5s @ 210bhp ish)

2. fit to an LT230 ideally through a ZF auto

3. be reliable and run underwater if required with minimal adaption - eg like a tdi/tgv

assuming you had adequate cooling, fitting etc, and axles could take the grunt and you werent concerned about fuel economy

what would you fit? and why?

None of the above!!

If you want a mechanical diesel that will fit in the chassis rails, not weigh more than the moon and produce more than 200hp, you really have very very few options.

Om606? Om605?

Most about everything else is either a boat anchor or electronically controlled.

it seems to me that in order to be powerful and torquey an engine needs one of two things, a large displacement and thus weight or an ECU. If an engine is small, light and simple it is going to lack output. How about making a compromise and looking at ECU controlled engines with proven electrical resilience/reliability - probably Japanese?

Chris

Another vote for a 606, they are light .. And when the edc pump is swaped for a pump form its earlier version the 603 it's mechanical.

To make 200bhp it will need the elements from the orginal pump swapping and anything much more and it will need a bigger turbo as the orginal is very small buts they are great low down because of this.

I would not want them because I'm not familiar with them and I want the truck to be as simple, mechanical and reliable (I woulnd''t have a clue how to troubleshoot electronics) as possible. To each their own I guess.. If you know how to work with them and are able to get the engine to run outside of the vehicle it was in originally I would say go for it!

I would not want them because I'm not familiar with them and I want the truck to be as simple, mechanical and reliable (I woulnd''t have a clue how to troubleshoot electronics) as possible. To each their own I guess.. If you know how to work with them and are able to get the engine to run outside of the vehicle it was in originally I would say go for it!

Snap

I'm fitting a M57 BMW relatively easy fit , light and easy to run outside 530D original fitment (very similar to L322 fitment)

I'm fitting a M57 BMW relatively easy fit , light and easy to run outside 530D original fitment (very similar to L322 fitment)

I agree with the M57, its not that good in the L322 because it lugging a 3t Range Rover around. It's also in a very low state of tune in the Range Rover. in my mates 110 its a really nice strong engine, loads of low down power. His is running about 230bhp but I know Jeremy Fearn has run them in tomcats at around 350bhp using the twin turbo setup found in the 535d.

The one you already have: a the 2.8 tgv. Apart from being a bit heavy, that has everything one might need. It is already eating gearboxes, so bigger is all a bit waiting for terminal failure. As a cheap option there is always the Isuzu 2.8.

Daan

Then why keep the LR gearbox? A 4.2 landcruiser engine can be fitted complete with gearbox and transferbox and all, gives you plenty grunt, strong engine and gearbox, permanent 4wd for those who want that and has an offset tcase as well. 1wire engine so nice and simple.

The 4/4.2 would be the only choices , as the other engines ar'nt the best JMHE

Then why keep the LR gearbox? A 4.2 landcruiser engine can be fitted complete with gearbox and transferbox and all, gives you plenty grunt, strong engine and gearbox, permanent 4wd for those who want that and has an offset tcase as well. 1wire engine so nice and simple.

Because it is bit involved. Sure, you can swap a gearbox out as well, but then you have a major project on your hand. mounts, props hafts, exhaust, gearbox tunnel probably, speedo are just a few things I can think of. It is possible, but where do you stop?

Few people are keen on swapping a gearbox for a 'foreign' one.

Daan

Don't know what you mean. The 1HZ is a bit gutless bet very reliable. The 1HDT and 1HDFT are excellent engines, just makes sure you change the big end bearings when you get one, that's about the only weak point. Luckily not expensive and an easily done.

Thats what I said they are all 4 or 4.2l and 6 cylinder , the smaller 4 cyl were either a bit gutless or have other probs eg head cracks etc . Its an opinion but based on experience

Because it is bit involved. Sure, you can swap a gearbox out as well, but then you have a major project on your hand. mounts, props hafts, exhaust, gearbox tunnel probably, speedo are just a few things I can think of. It is possible, but where do you stop?

Few people are keen on swapping a gearbox for a 'foreign' one.

Daan

An engine swap is quite involved as well, making new engine mounts, exhaust, intake and hooking it up. It is indeed more work having to make gearbox mounts as well, a tranny tunnel but it's not that hard. Driveshafts can be made to fit by using an adapter for instance, that's what I did, and have the driveshafts made to length. It is a more involved but at least you're not limited to whatever fits the LR gearbox and the strength limitations of one. I could have used an adapter to mate my 3B motor to the series gearbox but opted to use the LC gearbox. It's more than capable of handling the power and torque instead of perhaps only just capable if your carefull, especially now it has a turbo intercooler and the fuel turned up.

Thats what I said they are all 4 or 4.2l and 6 cylinder , the smaller 4 cyl were either a bit gutless or have other probs eg head cracks etc . Its an opinion but based on experience

Aah ok.. in case of the 2LT you're spot on. But older/other heavy duty LC's had 4cylinders as well, the 3B and 13BT. The 3B with turbo intercooler added to it has a ton of torque and power, it still has indirect injection though unlike the 13BT which is direct injected (factory turbocharged 3B). They're a bit of a tractor engine though, the sixes are much smoother.