Winter is coming!

hey.. winter is setting in so im trying to make the 90 a bit warmer

i am in the process of ply lining my 90 in the rear and looking to you lot for some good advice, pictures and so on

luckerly been given some carpeted pre cut ply to go above the seats on the sides (some one took them out to put windows in the back)

thinking of lining the roof also adding another light

any one got any tips on insulation and what not

want to try and make it sound proof and slightly warmer

also back do.. when i have people in the back they always complain about drafts... any good seals on the market people recommend.? or new door liners?

cheers!

I can't help with the lining side of things but in tes of seals, your far better off buying genuine seals. They may cost more, but they go in with a lot less tweaking than aftermarket! If there are small drafts, draft fill strips which are designed to go round windows in a house work well. I used them on my 109. Silicone (bathroom) works well on the join of the roof to the side panels. Hope that helps.

Carpet does work, but when I lined my previous hardtop it took tons of glue to make it stick! Some folk use foam camping mats and reckon it works well.

I bought a roll of acoustic foam stuff with a flock covering, but haven't got around to fitting it yet!

It's worth having a look at laminate floor underlay.... 5mm foam with gold foil on top. It's very light, but insulates well.

It's on ebay, for not a silly amount of money.

I used trim adhesive to stick it to my 90 pick up roof, before putting the headlining back in.

I tried to glue car carpet to the roof and walls using loads of heavy duty spray glue, lasted till it got really hot in the summer and all fell off :-( not thought of a good way to redo the roof without losing height but need to do it to stop the condensation.

I tried to glue car carpet to the roof and walls using loads of heavy duty spray glue, lasted till it got really hot in the summer and all fell off :-( not thought of a good way to redo the roof without losing height but need to do it to stop the condensation.

Ha Ha the same happened to me. I glued the foil insulation as mentioned earlier to the roof & sides and in the summer it got hot and fell off so I tried again with the camping mats...so far so good they seem to stick much better are warm and do offer a bit of sound proofing as well...just to add I lifted the rubber matting around the front floor well etc and put the camping mats here also as well as a carpeted sheet of ply at the bulkhead to be honest the cab is nearly too warm now lol camping mats get a thumbs up from me :D

This one claims to work up to 120C http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321170543652

cool thanks every one. got some good responses. so basically camping matts! will get a load of them and stick them every where.. was thinking of sticking them to the room then ply lining it also.

need some new seals every where and there is about a 3mm gap under the back door. but also the rear window is plastic. must of been smashed or something before i had it.

I used old fashioned Evostik to stick the carpet on and it stuck well, but I think the umpteen cans of glue ended up costing more than the carpet off cuts!!

Hi i thought id add my question to this post rather than start a new topic, i hope this is ok. My fans dont blow in my 90. I can feel the heat coming from them while driving but nothing mechanicaly blowing the air. What is the best way to check if the problem is the slider switch (which has been a bit temprimental in the past) on the left hand side of console or if say the motor has burned out?

Its something i been meaning to sort out for ages and never got round to it. Now its cold!

Thanks

If you have a multi-meter test for voltage at the 3 pin plug connected to the blower motor, alternatively you can use a test bulb. This will tell you if the problem is at the motor or somewhere before it. From personal experience i would suggest checking the fuse as well.

Someone who knows how to test the switch should be along soon

Matt

hay, just an update on my heater issue. Me and my cousin checked the slide switch and the 3 pin connectors. All seemed ok. I took the vent off the wing so i could reach in to feel the fan itself. It would not turn. I took the heater box off and removed the fan unit. My uneducated guess was that the motor was dead/seized. So i thought i had nothing to lose. I got out the old WD40 and a spanner and started to turn the shaft of the fan. Could not do it by fingers alone. So thought why not, ill use a drill (possibly stupid but hay i thought it was broke anyway) i set the drill to "unscrew" (anti-clockwise) because that was the direction the arrow was on the fan. Clamped the motor to the desk and gaffa taped the drill trigger and left it to run for about 20/30 minutes on slow. Checked it and it seemed free. Wired it back into the car but didnt fit the box and it worked!!!!!!! Fitted the box and had a lovely warm trip home!

Now im not saying that this is a must try fix or that its gonna last for any period of time but i thought id share my results with you. Believe me, im still in shock after witnessing what happened today. But i had a lovely warm truck on the way home, so im happy, happy, happy!

Thank you again guys

hay, just an update on my heater issue. Me and my cousin checked the slide switch and the 3 pin connectors. All seemed ok. I took the vent off the wing so i could reach in to feel the fan itself. It would not turn. I took the heater box off and removed the fan unit. My uneducated guess was that the motor was dead/seized. So i thought i had nothing to lose. I got out the old WD40 and a spanner and started to turn the shaft of the fan. Could not do it by fingers alone. So thought why not, ill use a drill (possibly stupid but hay i thought it was broke anyway) i set the drill to "unscrew" (anti-clockwise) because that was the direction the arrow was on the fan. Clamped the motor to the desk and gaffa taped the drill trigger and left it to run for about 20/30 minutes on slow. Checked it and it seemed free. Wired it back into the car but didnt fit the box and it worked!!!!!!! Fitted the box and had a lovely warm trip home!

Now im not saying that this is a must try fix or that its gonna last for any period of time but i thought id share my results with you. Believe me, im still in shock after witnessing what happened today. But i had a lovely warm truck on the way home, so im happy, happy, happy!

Thank you again guys

Glad your truck is warm! It is also worth checking the Tech Archive and reading the thread about adjusting the heater control cables.

Moments like that are gold -"lets do this even though it's a bit stupid" and then it works :)

Great stuff :)

As you say, if it seized that badly it may not last long, but at least you know where and how to look for when it does fail.